Forum
Need Help installing Xbian on Rasperry Pi B - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Need Help installing Xbian on Rasperry Pi B (/thread-2126.html)

Need Help installing Xbian on Rasperry Pi B - Amean1 - 17th Feb, 2014 02:30 PM

I am a newbiew and started to use Raspberry Pi Model "B" approx 5 months ago. My step up includes power supply for Raspberry Pi, Belkin 8 port USB hub with its own dedicated power adapter, along with Kingston 8GB SD Card. I am also using 5 Port Zylex hub to connect Raspberry pi to my internet network. I have 2 USB thumb drives plugged into Belkin USB hub along with logitec wireless keyboard. I also have Seagate 2TB external USB HDD plugged into the hub to access recorded media.

I have recently loaded Xbian "xbian_1.0_Beta_2.img.gz" and went thru the setup. However I would like to load Navi-x-v37_8 but unable to see either of the 2 thumb drives when I go to "Install from zip drive". I have also plugged in thumb drive directly to the Raspberry Pi's built-in USB port just to eliminate Belkin USB hub, but still not able to see the thumb drive in the directory when I go to "install from zip file" section. Prior to using the current beta 2 Xbian version, I have been able to load prior version of Xbian and been able to access Navi-x successfully. Having said that, I had experienced problems with xbian getting corrupted often when I turn the unit on. Either unit would just hang or would not load properly and I would have to reformat the SD card and load xbian again and go thru setup again. I have used different SD cards as well just to ensure that it is not SD card issues but problem did not go away. I am sure that this is not normal and I must be missing a step and wondering if anyone can provide some assistance as to how I should set this up correctly to be able to enjoy it and not have to reload the entire setup again and again.

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated.....

RE: Need Help installing Xbian on Rasperry Pi B - IriDium - 17th Feb, 2014 11:19 PM

Can you ssh into your RPi and post the output of df -h

Corruption is usually caused by not shutting down the RPi correctly - Using the Shutdown command in XBMC.

Can you see the devices in Video or Music?

RE: Need Help installing Xbian on Rasperry Pi B - Amean1 - 18th Feb, 2014 12:12 AM

(17th Feb, 2014 11:19 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Can you ssh into your RPi and post the output of df -h

Corruption is usually caused by not shutting down the RPi correctly - Using the Shutdown command in XBMC.

Thank you IriDium for your reply. I always shut down system by selecting "Shutting system down" option from the menu. However, there are many times system just hangs when I am trying to access programs within "Navi-x", or just finished watching a program and the only option is to unplug RPi from the power source.

As for ssh, I have heard of it by reading forums but frankly does not have a clue how to access it or set it up. As I stated before, all I have done so far is to load Xbian to the the SD card and install Navi-x. Unfortunatley, I am unable to even install navi-x since I can't see my thumb drives when I go to "Install from a zip file" Can you provide steps or a link how to set up ssh and provide output of "df -h"?

RE: Need Help installing Xbian on Rasperry Pi B - IriDium - 18th Feb, 2014 12:41 AM

There are pleanty of guide available - Just google how to ssh raspberry pi

The easiest solution is from within XBMC -> System -> File Manager -> Add Source -> Browse -> Root Filesystem -> Media and you should see your drives there. If you don't then there is a problem somewhere.

Beta 2 is reliable, so it should automount your drives. Try with only one USB flash when you boot.

RE: Need Help installing Xbian on Rasperry Pi B - Amean1 - 18th Feb, 2014 02:44 AM

(18th Feb, 2014 12:41 AM)IriDium Wrote:  There are pleanty of guide available - Just google how to ssh raspberry pi

The easiest solution is from within XBMC -> System -> File Manager -> Add Source -> Browse -> Root Filesystem -> Media and you should see your drives there. If you don't then there is a problem somewhere.

Beta 2 is reliable, so it should automount your drives. Try with only one USB flash when you boot.

Thank you for your feedback. I will check it out and will report back...