Forum
GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Remotes and CEC support (/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config (/thread-2151.html)

GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - naverave - 3rd Mar, 2014 07:24 AM

I recently bought a gmyle remote from amazon GMYLE REMOTE VISTA MCE REMOTE to use with rasp pi and latest xbian. Out of the box it kinda works, volume down doesn't work, info and backspace etc. work. I need to totally configure it and not sure how. I tried to follow a guide which seems perfect for my remote but I hit a wall. Perfect Guide for me

I was able to create under /dev/input two more symlinks: irremote0 and irremote1:

I was not sure if inputlirc was already installed as I could not find the directory so I installed it.

Bullet point 2.1 in guide says configure the hardware.conf but as it is for ubuntu I opened it up and it was recommended to use the custom.conf.
I tried to do that but it doesn't have

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="false"

so I just made changes which I could which were uncommenting the some of the things mentioned in that config file.

I am stuck at bullet 2.3 as when I use irw it doesn't do anything. I tried pressing buttons but it doesn't show up. My xbmc was running at that time and was responding to the buttons but not in irw.

I have never used irw so dont know much about it.

The guide provides a comprehensive list of the config files Lircmap.xml and keymaps/remote.xml and I am wondering if I can copy paste them to the config files already existing but not sure which files are currently being used.

Also tried using this guide but got stuck as I couldn't get mode2 command to work

Code:
root@xbian:/# stop lirc
lirc stop/waiting
root@xbian:/# mode2
mode2: could not get file information for /dev/lirc0
mode2: default_init(): No such file or directory

Any guidance as to how to implement the guides linked above successfully would be really helpful. Thank you for responding. Angel

Re: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - f1vefour - 3rd Mar, 2014 04:56 PM

Follow the first post of the following thread:

http://forum.xbian.org/showthread.php?tid=2003

RE: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - naverave - 3rd Mar, 2014 05:54 PM

Okay, I did go over it before you posted the link. Will try it and report back. Thank you.

RE: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - naverave - 3rd Mar, 2014 07:04 PM

I am trying to follow the guide you mentioned but stuck at

echo lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

There is no rc directory and onwards.

Excerpt from the guide posted in reply:

"The keymapping was a little different here too, compared to my Arch main box. But as I was using a custom Lircmap.xml anyway, I just copied it over and edited the few changed keys in there. Another way would be to copy over the lircd.conf file from your Xbmcbuntu install to /etc/lirc/remotes/ under a new name, and either include it in the main lircd.conf or specify it in hardware/custom.conf."

I made a new file called mylircmap.xml in the remotes directory and in hardware/custom.conf pointed it to the address /etc/lirc/remotes/mylircmap.xml No changes.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Configure_VRC-1100_remote_for_Ubuntu

Bullets 3.1 and 3.2 linked above have the lircmap and remotes config for xbmc codes. I just need to know where to copy them and how to redirect lirc to use these codes. Help please.

Re: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - f1vefour - 4th Mar, 2014 03:24 AM

What XBian revision are you running?

RE: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - teekay - 5th Mar, 2014 02:31 AM

This device ships a receiver that isn't mceusb compatible. Instead it exhibits itself as two input devices (which is also the reason there's no /sys/class/rc directory)

@naverave: the Lircmap.xml and keymaps/remote.xml need to go into the xbmc userdata folder, which should be /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata

RE: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - naverave - 5th Mar, 2014 03:18 AM

(5th Mar, 2014 02:31 AM)teekay Wrote:  This device ships a receiver that isn't mceusb compatible. Instead it exhibits itself as two input devices (which is also the reason there's no /sys/class/rc directory)

@naverave: the Lircmap.xml and keymaps/remote.xml need to go into the xbmc userdata folder, which should be /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata

Thanks Teekay, I will look into it further and report back.

@f1vefour I am using Xbian 1.0Beta2 - XBMC 12.2 (compiled Jan 6, 2014) OS Linux 3.10.12#61

After reading the wiki for userdata, I created two files Lircmap.xml which I put in the userdata directory and myremote.xml in userdata/keymaps directory. Restarted the system but the volume down button still doesn't work.
According to the wiki on userdata ----- Lircmap.xml - This file which may be created can contain changes to the default Lircmap (Linux Only).
That is why I didn't put it together with the myremote.xml in the keymaps folder. Hope that is the right way. Is there a way to find out which files are being used by the remote. Also any plugins for xbmc to make the configuration easier?

Thank you.

RE: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - teekay - 5th Mar, 2014 05:17 PM

It's a bit unfortunate that "irw" fails to properly communicate with the inputlircd's socket (as you noted in your first post, nothing in irw output). I suspect the issue with the volume key is just a simple mapping issue. And I also think the whole setup process using the howto you linked to is unneeded. You just need to get the mapping for the volume down key fixed.

Please check this post about an xbmc plugin that can help here: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1363-post-17132.html#pid17132 , that guy has the same brand of that HAMA remote and also had the same problem with the volume down button (ignore the rest of the thread as mk01 also thought it should show up as a rc remote on the Linux kernel side of things, but infact it isn't, it's more like two keyboards)

RE: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - naverave - 5th Mar, 2014 06:42 PM

Thanks Teekay, I will delve into it soon and report my findings.

RE: GMYLE / HAMA - Vista MCE Remote Config - naverave - 6th Mar, 2014 02:42 AM

(5th Mar, 2014 06:42 PM)naverave Wrote:  Thanks Teekay, I will delve into it soon and report my findings.

Unfortunately the link to that xbmc add on which helped solve the volume down button doesn't work anymore so no luck there.