Forum
[Question] NFS Installation guide - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [Question] NFS Installation guide (/thread-2152.html)

Pages: 1 2

[Question] NFS Installation guide - Rubman - 3rd Mar, 2014 07:55 PM

Is there a proper guide available or would someone be willing to write a proper guide to installing Xbian to NFS.

Is it possible to do it via the Xbian config that you acces via Putty an just putting a different path instead of SDA1 for USB?

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - IriDium - 4th Mar, 2014 03:15 AM

I'm not an expert, and have never tried, but I believe what you said is the correct path.
1/ Use xbian-config to create the structure (Follow the described description) Warning it will erase everything!!
2/ Change cmdline.txt to the new /.

That's all I believe.

If you're unsure - wait a bit someone will have a better idea.

If you do try and get it working - maybe you could write up the details for other users to use.

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Rubman - 4th Mar, 2014 05:47 PM

I tried using the Xbian config, but it won't accept my Synology as a correct path.
Don't know if I can maybe put it on a USB, and then transfering those files to the NAS and change the cmdline. But doubt USB can be properly read to transfer files once finished.

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - IriDium - 5th Mar, 2014 02:09 AM

Are you sure your NAS has insecure set?

You could try looking at this as well http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1531-post-17118.html#pid17118

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Rubman - 5th Mar, 2014 09:16 PM

it now says this when i Putty/SSH into my Syno NAS

/volume1/XBian *(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

from what I gather at the other post insecure shouldn't be there or something

Pretty new to Linux and learning as I go. Can now vi and stuff and know the very basics of doing things but that;s about it.

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - mk01 - 16th Mar, 2014 10:18 AM

xbian-config has undocumented experimental support also for nfs as part of xbianclone tool.

syntax of the destination should be:

Code:
nfs:server.nameorip:/path/to/exported/root

the destination is mounted (if exists) and tested if can keep ownership of regular user and id=0. this is required for nfs root and assumes server option on the export "no_root_squash".

storing id=0 also requires that no "insecure" option is used. but this is fine as rootfs is always mounted at system level.
after this test the installation is copied to NFS dir. also, /boot partition (cmdline.txt) should be updated - so when finish, just reboot should work and boot straight to NFS.

specific feedback would be welcome as other destinations than .img or partition is under testing / unofficial but should be documented and working with V1 release.

thanks in advance.

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Rubman - 17th Mar, 2014 08:41 PM

Wow that is a nice clean explanation.

So if I read it correctly when I SSL into Xbian-Config and start the copy Xbian tool I should enter this:
Code:
nfs:server.my-ip:/volume1/Xbian (this is a shared folder I created on my Synology server)
Instead of:
Code:
/dev/sda1
into the field when cloning the Xbian copy to a USB/NFS device

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - belese - 17th Mar, 2014 09:14 PM

Yes but on command line. Will try to add in xbmc for next version.

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - mk01 - 17th Mar, 2014 09:33 PM

@belese @Rubman

yes, rubman's question didn't specify xbian-config being XBMC or CLI, I always assume CLI version, Belese XBMC.

so:

my statement is valid currently for CLI version and was understood by Rubman correct. XBMC part of xbian-config needs to be of course check / adapted if needed.
(but Rubman connects via "SSL" (assumed SSH) so he was asking about the CLI probably)

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Rubman - 18th Mar, 2014 02:19 AM

Yes SSL is SSH and I want to achieve a USB copy from NFS so that XBIAN starts from a NFS source instead of USB (which seems to corrupt over time)

I Still get a Wrong destination Block device error when entering the following in Xbian copier destination
Code:
nfs:server.192.168.1.103:/Volume1/XBian

I tried several deviations such as / before nfs and after XBian, capital letters or not but nothing seems to work.

The installation of Xbian is fresh.

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - mk01 - 18th Mar, 2014 02:27 AM

@Rubman

small misunderstanding.

"server.192.168.1.103" should be "192.168.1.103

as the format is

[typeofdest]:[dest_target_link]

so for you

nfs:192.168.1.103:/Volume1/XBian

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Rubman - 18th Mar, 2014 08:55 PM

When entering
nfs:192.168.1.103:/volume1/XBian

I still get Wrong destination block device error.

I tried SSH into my synlogy to see if /etc/exports where correct and it gives me this
/volume1/XBian *(rw,async,no_wdelay,root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

I don't see any problems with these settings, but maybe it should say no_root_squash or something? Because al my other shares say no_root_squash. These are the ones I have for Raspbmc and all my video and music files shared via XBMC.
Changing it doesn't seem to work by the way

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Smultie - 18th Mar, 2014 09:18 PM

(18th Mar, 2014 08:55 PM)Rubman Wrote:  When entering
nfs:192.168.1.103:/volume1/XBian

I still get Wrong destination block device error.

I tried SSH into my synlogy to see if /etc/exports where correct and it gives me this
/volume1/XBian *(rw,async,no_wdelay,root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

I don't see any problems with these settings, but maybe it should say no_root_squash or something? Because al my other shares say no_root_squash. These are the ones I have for Raspbmc and all my video and music files shared via XBMC.
Changing it doesn't seem to work by the way

Not sure if you're running a Synology NAS, but since DSM 5.0 there's apparantly an extra requirement to make an accessible NFS-share, set squash to "Map all users to admin".

Not sure if this relates to your problem, but it might be worth trying.

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Rubman - 18th Mar, 2014 09:58 PM

Yes I am running a Synology (DS109) and no DSM 5 Available for that so I'm running 4.2.

What should it say in the etc/exports line then?

/volume1/XBian *(rw,async,no_wdelay,root_squash_Map_all_users_to_admin,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

or something different?

RE: [Question] NFS Installation guide - Smultie - 18th Mar, 2014 10:13 PM

(18th Mar, 2014 09:58 PM)Rubman Wrote:  Yes I am running a Synology (DS109) and no DSM 5 Available for that so I'm running 4.2.

What should it say in the etc/exports line then?

/volume1/XBian *(rw,async,no_wdelay,root_squash_Map_all_users_to_admin,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

or something different?

I believe it's only needed for DSM5.
Also it's a setting you need to change in the GUI, I have no idea what (and if) it changes in /etc/exports.