Forum
1TB 2TB HDD Setup - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: 1TB 2TB HDD Setup (/thread-2161.html)

1TB 2TB HDD Setup - naverave - 5th Mar, 2014 06:56 PM

Hey guys,

I have an old but stable 1TB and a recently bought 2TB external hdd. I will exclusively use them with r-pi and mac.

So I am thinking of using 1TB for Time Machine HFS+Journaled, 1TB partition from 2TB HDD as a second backup for Time Machine HFS+Journaled.

So now I am left with 1TB for media etc and using it with the pi.

I was thinking of making a 500GB partition with ext4 file system to use with pi, download media on it and use it with XBMC.

The other 500GB will prolly be HFS+ Not Journaled to use with both mac and linux for keeping organized and crucial data etc.

I am just wondering if this is the right way to go especially for performance in linux with 500GB partition with ext4. Any ideas on implementation and performance would be helpful. 500GB ext4 will be used for transmission torrenting, couchpotato or flexget etc. and maybe make it a network drive. I have implemented most of these things separately but now trying to establish a functional system.

Thank you for your ideas.

RE: 1TB 2TB HDD Setup - IriDium - 6th Mar, 2014 12:48 AM

I don't believe HFS is accesable with the RPi. You can use any filesystem you like, I use NTFS but that is because my other machines are Windoze and Mac - so it's easily readable between them.

That will be the crucial thing - what else will need to access your media, will you share it with friends or other machines?

My media is stored on a WD 2TB split 1TB each for Movies and TV and I've never experienced any problems with it.

RE: 1TB 2TB HDD Setup - naverave - 6th Mar, 2014 02:56 AM

(6th Mar, 2014 12:48 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I don't believe HFS is accesable with the RPi. You can use any filesystem you like, I use NTFS but that is because my other machines are Windoze and Mac - so it's easily readable between them.

That will be the crucial thing - what else will need to access your media, will you share it with friends or other machines?

My media is stored on a WD 2TB split 1TB each for Movies and TV and I've never experienced any problems with it.

I will certainly need HFS for time machine so 1 TB from both drives is dedicated to backup.

Now I am left with 1TB on 2TB Seagate.

I would like to use 500GB both readable and writable between linux and mac for data transfer etc.
Is NTFS my only option? Please elaborate on what alternatives I can choose?

For the other 500GB from 2TB HDD, how about using ext4 partition of 500GB for torrenting and download automation. Would this be the most optimised system in terms of speed and reliability if I totally dedicate it to the pi?

I like the idea of NAS but have only used samba so far. Looking to make things permanent and functional. Any help is appreciated.

RE: 1TB 2TB HDD Setup - IriDium - 6th Mar, 2014 03:08 AM

Speed and reliability are irrelevant for streaming - any HDD can handle the reads required - irrelevant of the format. It only reads at the end of the day - very little head movement.

So keep R/W off of media files.

As to the NAS - expect to spend $150 ish for a good one. A DNS-323 is ($50) Ok but you have to flash it with Atl-F to be able to enable insecure (A requirement for XBMC).

Whatever you choose, I doubt you will have any problems.

RE: 1TB 2TB HDD Setup - naverave - 6th Mar, 2014 05:06 PM

(6th Mar, 2014 03:08 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Speed and reliability are irrelevant for streaming - any HDD can handle the reads required - irrelevant of the format. It only reads at the end of the day - very little head movement.

So keep R/W off of media files.

As to the NAS - expect to spend $150 ish for a good one. A DNS-323 is ($50) Ok but you have to flash it with Atl-F to be able to enable insecure (A requirement for XBMC).

Whatever you choose, I doubt you will have any problems.

I dont have money to spare but when I do, I was thinking of something like this Network Storage Adaptor Device