Forum
USB stick - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: USB stick (/thread-2173.html)

USB stick - sak50 - 13th Mar, 2014 04:47 AM

I am new to xbian but not new to the raspberry pi. I have been using rasbmc but i have had alot of issues with it lately so i decided to make the switch.

My only question I notice on the "getting started" page for xbian that installs and using a sd card.

I would like to know if i can load xbian from a usb stick?

from reading it looks like i have to clone my sd card to usb after with option 6 and change command line. why not just build that feature into the program like rasbmc?

RE: USB stick - IriDium - 15th Mar, 2014 02:27 AM

Is this a [problem] or an [Idea]

RE: USB stick - mk01 - 16th Mar, 2014 10:03 AM

(13th Mar, 2014 04:47 AM)sak50 Wrote:  My only question I notice on the "getting started" page for xbian that installs and using a sd card.

I would like to know if i can load xbian from a usb stick?

from reading it looks like i have to clone my sd card to usb after with option 6 and change command line. why not just build that feature into the program like rasbmc?

hmmm. you can put the "install" .img anywhere even to USB directly. only first 32mb of img needs to go do SD card as well.

is this what you mean?

the purpose of xbian clone function is to be able to clone current user's installation to any media, including .img file or even just to completely different type of partition (including settings, data, etc).

as far as I know this is not provided by RaspBMC nor OE. RaspBMC can be directed to USB only during initial installation.

After that user is forced to low level system commands and knowledge.