Forum
Transmission Error - Unable to save resume file: Read Only File System - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Transmission Error - Unable to save resume file: Read Only File System (/thread-2190.html)

Transmission Error - Unable to save resume file: Read Only File System - naverave - 18th Mar, 2014 11:26 AM

Hey guys, I am unable to download anything through Transmission due to Transmission Error - Unable to save resume file: Read Only File System.

It was working fine earlier. I have a 2TB external HDD with 500GB partition with EXT4 file system.

The directory for download is /media/box/transmission/downloads. I have given the directory 777 permissions.

It seems the problem might be with mounting. I did not link the directories or anything. Also I did not change any mounting settings. Just been relying on automatic mount.

How do I make sure that the partition gets mounted every time and if I need to change the permissions for transmission folder/files or something like that?

Thanks for answering.

RE: Transmission Error - Unable to save resume file: Read Only File System - mk01 - 24th Mar, 2014 09:21 AM

in XBian (pre)configured transmission runs under user XBian.

mounted disk under linux with native fs-format will provide you with native file/folder ownership. that means is for instance ext4 is formatted under user XYZ (or this disk's root is later chown-ed with XYZ), your 777 permission will work only in the level below your folder with 777 permission).

linux file mode scheme works a bit different than windows. on windows you could set "777" with inheritance - making "777" again new created files or sub-directories. in linux you can set umask. you can get some info there http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/understanding-linux-unix-umask-value-usage.html

anyhow for our setup simpler solution is making sure that the ext4 disk including it's root folder is owned by xbian:xbian. you don't have to alter any chmod values anymore as transmission is running as XBian, XBMC too and smb sharing ro/rw is configured with "force user" = XBian too.

that means: if your usb hdd is mounted under /media/hdd1, do:
Code:
chown -Rc -h --preserve-root xbian:xbian /media/hdd1