Forum
Problem with 5.1 DTS missing audio channels? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Problem with 5.1 DTS missing audio channels? (/thread-2208.html)

Problem with 5.1 DTS missing audio channels? - Jambolia - 26th Mar, 2014 10:48 AM

Hi,

I'm having a problem watching a file that's an .mkv with 5.1 DTS audio and I'm only getting some sounds like explosions and the occasional conversation that heavily muted. It's like only 2 channels are being pasted to the TV from the Pi - so I'm missing when people talk and other sound effects.

Xbian is running on a Raspberry Pi, that I've got hooked up to my TV through the HDMI with an optical cable running between the TV and the sound system (5.1 Z5500). The amp is capable of DTS decoding so I don't think it's a problem that end. I've also made sure the sound is set to output through HDMI and that I've ticked the DTS and Dolby capable receiver.

I've looked around the forums and no one else seems to be having this problem. So it's probably something my end, although I've not got a clue what it could be.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I should also say i'm using the latest stable build from the front page.

RE: Problem with 5.1 DTS missing audio channels? - mk01 - 26th Mar, 2014 03:46 PM

connection RPI -> TV -> AVR/SoundSystem is not so common as for instance normally TVs can't passthrough multichannel content in that way.

standard connection path would be RPI -> SS -> TV

RE: Problem with 5.1 DTS missing audio channels? - Jambolia - 26th Mar, 2014 08:52 PM

(26th Mar, 2014 03:46 PM)mk01 Wrote:  connection RPI -> TV -> AVR/SoundSystem is not so common as for instance normally TVs can't passthrough multichannel content in that way.

standard connection path would be RPI -> SS -> TV

Bugger, ok I thought as much. I had a 2013 Sony device previously which did, seems my new Samsung may not.

Looking around the internet however I've seen others with the problem. Someone suggested putting 'hdmi_force_edid_audio=1' in the config.txt. Might this work or will I screw things?

RE: Problem with 5.1 DTS missing audio channels? - mk01 - 26th Mar, 2014 10:17 PM

Definitely my samsung doesn't support this way. Has optical SPDIF IN, can provide signal out, but not that multichannel.

/boot/config.txt edits are no pain, just put there, reboot, try, remove. reboot.

you will see.

RE: Problem with 5.1 DTS missing audio channels? (RESOLVED) - Jambolia - 26th Mar, 2014 10:28 PM

(26th Mar, 2014 10:17 PM)mk01 Wrote:  Definitely my samsung doesn't support this way. Has optical SPDIF IN, can provide signal out, but not that multichannel.

/boot/config.txt edits are no pain, just put there, reboot, try, remove. reboot.

you will see.

Bah! Your right, just tried it and no joy. It's not sending any digital signal now.

At least I know what the problem is, looks like I'll just have to avoid DTS 5.1. shame.

Thanks for the help mk01 much appreciated!