Forum
16:9 video slim black bars top/bottom - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 16:9 video slim black bars top/bottom (/thread-2256.html)

16:9 video slim black bars top/bottom - Calzor Suzay - 29th Apr, 2014 06:25 PM

I've recently started using the Pi properly with XBMC but noticed an issue with 16:9 tv shows, maybe 2.35:1 films as well but these have dirty great black bars as standard.

Anyway I have a 16:9 tv, xbmc is calibrated using the tool correctly and the gui fills the screen properly but when playing various ripped tv shows that are 16:9 I get a small black bar top and bottom of the picture. How do I get it to display correctly? It's not my TVs 'zoom' mode as I've forced into 16:9 etc.

RE: 16:9 video slim black bars top/bottom - IriDium - 30th Apr, 2014 02:22 AM

Can you provide a screenshot of the issue.

I have a feeling it may the the format of the ripped videos that is causing the issue. Can you confirm you get the same problem with standard 16:9 files.

I know I have had problems with certain TV's that won't display 16:9 correctly - the TV has to be forced to 16:9.

RE: 16:9 video slim black bars top/bottom - rikardo1979 - 30th Apr, 2014 03:29 AM

there is a lot of 16:9 types of screen ratios and not all always fit the screen fully. so I dont see this as an XBMC/XBian related but simply an media issue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9

RE: 16:9 video slim black bars top/bottom - Calzor Suzay - 30th Apr, 2014 05:12 PM

I'll check all my ripped TV shows to see if they all show the issue. I know it's different as on my WD TV live box the shows filled the screen.

RE: 16:9 video slim black bars top/bottom - Calzor Suzay - 9th May, 2014 10:36 PM

I played all my TV shows that would be in 16:9 and they all had the black bar top/bottom.
I then went into the video calibration screen, the corners are good as are the subtitles, the box part was a box as I used a tape measure on the screen but then playing with the setting of this I managed to get rid of the black bars so all good now Smile