Forum
New image for download page of xbian.org - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: New image for download page of xbian.org (/thread-2266.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New image for download page of xbian.org - NitSuA - 3rd May, 2014 11:24 PM

Hi all!

I would like to contribute to this community as well, and was thinking of updating the image on the download page (which is still 1.0 beta 2) to RC2.

Can someone give me a step by step procedure how to make an image, and to whom I have to provide the image so that it can be places on the homepage?

I can do this every 2 weeks or so, so people can start with a fairly recent build when they start with XBIAN.

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - IriDium - 6th May, 2014 02:27 AM

Many thanks for your offer.

The issue is ensuring that you are providing a bog standard image with only the required settings - no localisation, network, or additional add-ons.

This requires a dedicated RPi setup as you cannot just use your own version as a release.

However, if the offer still stands and you can meet the criteria, I'm sure @mk01 would be grateful. Send him a PM with the offer and he should be able to advise.

To create your OWN image just remove the SD card and use win32diskimager to read the card.

Ideally, in a perfect world, this would be automatic but.........

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - NitSuA - 6th May, 2014 05:48 PM

Hi @IriDium, thnx for your reply. I have a spare SD card, so I can make a dedicated RPi setup and make an image of it. So off course my offer still stands!

I will get in contact with MK01 to ask for a step by step procedure and where to upload the image.

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - CurlyMo - 6th May, 2014 10:43 PM

Why not create that image and let people here give feedback. IF you do it right people will pick it up. The same happened when i put XBian on github without "official" permission.

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - NitSuA - 6th May, 2014 11:13 PM

(6th May, 2014 10:43 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Why not create that image and let people here give feedback. IF you do it right people will pick it up. The same happened when i put XBian on github without "official" permission.

That sounds like the hard way ;-)

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - mk01 - 28th May, 2014 07:55 AM

@NitSuA

the easiest way is to use simply the build in cloning function, which creates bootable .img automatically. isn't it ?

steps:
Code:
1) flash clean .img
2) boot
3) stop xbmc and use terminal or remotelly ssh is fine (stopping xbmc will speed up the process anyway)
4) update any way you are used to
5) reboot
6) run "all-clean". this command will remove garbage like cached debs for apt, logs, xbian & root histories, will reset XBMC settings, removes ssh keys (they will be regenerated upon next boot) bla bla bla bla more. so the clean img is even cleaner
7) clone to file. with xbianclone function. for training, use just xbian-config, option 6 or 7? as destination put
file:/mnt/path/to/file.img
WARNING - the destination needs to be different filesystem from rootfs. so it has be network mount, or usb hdd/stick or similar.
8) you are done. you can distribute .img.
this auto process will try to guess minimum possible size for destination img file. unfortunately this leads to new rootfs (and img) of size ~600mb which will force btrfs to use mixed-data-metadata structure (because filesystem is too small). according to docs, such filesystem even after resize will keep this structure what can leads to performance hits (when later resized to bg filessytem). docs are not specifying what means BIG and what means (or how much it means) performance hit. I assume developers considered std HDD sizes (1/2TB) so our mini SD cards will not make a difference.

but still if you are perfectionist, you create xbianclone from command line by using --size parameter, you specify size greater than 1G (1024M or 1048576K). the size can be specified exactly as I provided so with G/M/K suffixes. I usually use 1200M.

you get content wise same img as before, but you need (or would be nice) to shrink the filesystem, cut the partition and with dd recopy to new img just the needed amounts of sectors.

sounds scary but is quite easy. if you come to this point and you will feel confident, ask me again for the few commands to cut the waste empty space.

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - CurlyMo - 28th May, 2014 10:06 AM

6.1: Run history -c to clear all bash caches (did a pull request to add it by default).

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - CurlyMo - 29th May, 2014 04:46 AM

Here you go:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/release/XBian_1.0_RC_2_Raspberry_Pi.img.gz/download

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - IriDium - 29th May, 2014 05:02 AM

@CurlyMo
Thanks for that - can I add it to the RC2 thread at the top? or would you prefer to wait until it's available under brantje images?

BTW: is it Frodo or Gotham?

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - CurlyMo - 29th May, 2014 05:07 AM

Latest packages available in the stable repo. So Gotham Beta 1

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - NitSuA - 29th May, 2014 11:52 PM

Hi @CurlyMo (of @IriDium), thnx for making the image. Can you also do the following:

- Host the file on sourceforge
- Replace the download link on Xbian.org
- Integrate the image in the installer (found on xbian.org)
- Host the new installer on sourceforge as well

?

Because when we have addressed the above, then we really make some progress for our new joiners ;-)

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - CurlyMo - 29th May, 2014 11:54 PM

I don't have access to those spots. Already mailed Koenkk and Rikardo.

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - NitSuA - 30th May, 2014 12:34 AM

Great!

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - CurlyMo - 30th May, 2014 02:19 AM

I've posted the latest XBian image on sourceforge. Can someone create a new installer than i can upload?

@NitSuA, i hereby give you official permission for making XBian images. Then i will put them on sourceforge. Will make my life a lot easier.

RE: New image for download page of xbian.org - NitSuA - 30th May, 2014 07:03 PM

Thnx, and I saw the update on the homepage, great.

And are Koenkk and Rikardo th ones who can update the installer?