Forum
everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) (/thread-2274.html)

Pages: 1 2

everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - skinney6 - 7th May, 2014 10:04 AM

Software
XBian version: 1.0B2
XBMC version: 12.2
Overclock settings: default

Hardware
Power supply rating: 5v 1.5a
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): model A / 512
SD card size and make/type:
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): connected to Dennon AVR via HDMI

TV is 1080p

Logile
Link to logfile(s):

Problem description:
Video that's shouldn't be letterboxed are and videos that are letterboxed are even more letterboxed.
I tried (in confix.txt)
overscan=1
framebuffer_height=1080
no effect
then
overscan_top=-25
overscan_bottom=-25
no effect

here is my config.txt
http://pastebin.com/JG06pGgY

Thanks yall!

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - IriDium - 7th May, 2014 05:07 PM

I would go back to the start.
Unless there is a specific reason, disable all display commands in config.txt, so you are back to normal.
Most AVR/TV set-ups shouldn't need any additional commands.

If possible post a snippet of an offending video so others can test it on their machines.

Also have you used the command tvservice yet?

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - skinney6 - 8th May, 2014 12:51 AM

(7th May, 2014 05:07 PM)IriDium Wrote:  I would go back to the start.
Unless there is a specific reason, disable all display commands in config.txt, so you are back to normal.
Most AVR/TV set-ups shouldn't need any additional commands.

If possible post a snippet of an offending video so others can test it on their machines.

Also have you used the command tvservice yet?

I changed my config to as close to the original as i can remember. always make a backup of the original!! i still have a hard time remembering to do that.
http://pastebin.com/JG06pGgY
I had to keep hdmi_group and mode otherwise most movies were very small

Here is output of some tvservice calls
http://pastebin.com/DNfVrUbJ
edid says Denon.
rpi > denon avr > tv

also, how do i change xbians time? i've searched and found little help. the system time `$ date` i updated and is correct but xbian is 3 hrs ahead.

thanks!

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - IriDium - 8th May, 2014 01:01 AM

You need the set the time zone and country in XBMC xbian-config and SSH xbian-config.

Looks like you'll need to paste a snippet of an offending movie or at least the codec information.

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - skinney6 - 8th May, 2014 11:48 PM

Movie title: Child of God
codec: H264 MPED-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
resolution: 1912x1070
frame rate: 25
decoded format: planar 4:2:0 YUV

here is a pic of what it looks like on my screen (running off xbian)
http://imgur.com/ZMahVNu,VwdbXsJ#1

Movie title:Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit
codec: H264 MPED-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
resolution: 1912x792
frame rate: 23.796
decoded format: planar 4:2:0 YUV

here is a pic
http://imgur.com/ZMahVNu,VwdbXsJ

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - Smultie - 9th May, 2014 12:02 AM

And when you run the file on your PC (let's say on VLC)? Also letterboxed?

To be honest, looking at your screenshots, the aspect ratio looks pretty okay. Looks like the files are encoded with "built-in" black bars.

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - rikardo1979 - 9th May, 2014 12:07 AM

i dont see anything wrong either

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - skinney6 - 9th May, 2014 01:11 AM

Child of God, for example, is full screen on my debian with vlc and windoze mpchc.
the resolution is 1912x1070 10 px shy of the full height of the tv right?
those bars are much more than 5px (5 on top 5 on bottom)

right? am i looking at this correctly?

Jack Ryan is letterboxed but when played on my xbian is super letterboxed. see how skinny it is?

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - IriDium - 9th May, 2014 01:26 AM

You could try setting in the OSD menu "crop black bars".

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - skinney6 - 9th May, 2014 01:37 AM

(9th May, 2014 01:26 AM)IriDium Wrote:  You could try setting in the OSD menu "crop black bars".

OSD like a setting in the tv?
but then the xbian gui would be letterboxed too right? the xbian gui is full screen.

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - rikardo1979 - 9th May, 2014 02:35 AM

share short sample of your videos m8 so others can try and see
also put back the overscan settings to 1 in config.txt

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - skinney6 - 9th May, 2014 03:19 AM

(9th May, 2014 02:35 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  share short sample of your videos m8 so others can try and see

I dont know how to split movies and I really gotta start my homework. I'm already pusshing it. I realize it's not what your asking for but I'm under the gun here.
I can give you links to the torrents?
I dont know if it's ok to post thoes in this forum

fyi the "looking for answers? ..." in your sig is a bad link

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - rikardo1979 - 9th May, 2014 04:23 AM

(9th May, 2014 03:19 AM)skinney6 Wrote:  
(9th May, 2014 02:35 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  share short sample of your videos m8 so others can try and see

I dont know how to split movies and I really gotta start my homework. I'm already pusshing it. I realize it's not what your asking for but I'm under the gun here.
I can give you links to the torrents?
I dont know if it's ok to post thoes in this forum

fyi the "looking for answers? ..." in your sig is a bad link

thanks for mentioning the bad link Smile
and do not post any torrent links please.when you find out how to chop a piece of the movie, feel free to share with us

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - skinney6 - 9th May, 2014 04:44 AM

I will.
Thanks rikardo

RE: everything is letterboxed! (even vids that shouldn't) - IriDium - 9th May, 2014 09:13 PM

You can cut a small section from a file using VLC convert/save. Just cancel it once you have about 2 minutes worth.

BTW: Both images posted are from Jack Reacher

However, I don't see the need anymore.

The original is 1912 x 792 which gives an aspect ration of 2.41:1 (1514304 Pixels)

A normal 1080 TV is 1920 x 1080 which is an aspect ration of 1.78:1 (2073600 Pixels)

So the movie will be displayed letterboxed.

See XBMC Aspect Ratio

Gotham has a setting in Video -> Playback "Allow error in aspect ratio"