Forum
[PROBLEM] XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install (/thread-2289.html)

XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install - mrq2u - 13th May, 2014 06:46 AM

Have just converted my WinXP PCs to Linux Mint and last week bought new Raspberry Pi. Have been trying (unsuccessfully) to install XBian 1.0 Beta 2 on top of newly installed 2014-01-07 wheezy-raspian img.

1. Original XBian install attempted on new Raspian install from NOOBS SD as per Post #1 (http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1850-post-18439.html) via ssh. On reboot after kernel install (Step 4) Pi crashes and ssh not available - no host.

2. Retried install directly from Pi after Raspian reinstall. On reboot after kernel install (Step 4) Pi crashes after convert with multiple error messages.

rm: can't remove 'proc/.../...: Permission denied &
rm: can't remove '/proc.../net/stat/... : Operation not permitted

etc. & ends with ...
mkdir: can't create directory '/dev': File exists
Switching root
/init: line 224: can't open /rootfs/dev/console: no such file
[ 37.675817] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000200
[ 37.675817]

3. Tried reinstall - same issues

4. Reformatted SD and installed 2014-01-07 wheezy-raspian img downloaded from raspberrypi.org website and then followed Post #1 from Pi. Same outcome. Seems to be some kind of permission problem?

What am I doing wrong? My last command line 'linux like' experience was Unix in the 70-s & early 80's so a bit rusty.

I want to use Pi as more than media server, ie to view pdf, text files, browse internet etc. from kitchen TV so want both Raspian & XBMC.

Thanks in advance for help.

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install - IriDium - 14th May, 2014 01:06 AM

It's a little bit more complicated. (Dependencies etc)

See Guide

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install - mrq2u - 14th May, 2014 03:19 AM

(14th May, 2014 01:06 AM)IriDium Wrote:  It's a little bit more complicated. (Dependencies etc)

See Guide

The guide that you refer to is what I was using for my install .. Post #1 (5th Dec, 2013, 03:59 PM) http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1850-post-18439.html). As I said in my original post,... On reboot after kernel install (Step 4) Pi crashes during/after resize/convert with multiple error messages.. As far as I can tell I have folllowed the guide without missing anything up to the point where it failed. What else can I do to better inform you as to what has happened?

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install - n00b42 - 17th May, 2014 07:07 AM

Hi, same problem for me when I tried today.
Installed raspbian (2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian.img) and then followed the guide as well, step by step.
After step 4 reboot I receive kernel panic as well.

(Looks like this is related to this .
But I do not know if the referenced one was actually solved.)

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install - n00b42 - 20th May, 2014 05:12 AM

Sry, forgot Details:
RPi: model B 512mb (2x)
SD: Platinum SDHC Class10 16GB
2nd SD: ELEMENT14 SDHC 4GB (Class unknown)
Network: LAN/cable
Devices: USB keyboard, HDMI Monitor

tried both Pi's and both SD cards.

RE: XBian 1.0 Beta 2 install - mk01 - 3rd Jul, 2014 10:16 AM

@all

lately (5-6months) BTRFS parts has been very much changing. For the actual conversion of ext4 to BTRFS there is special extra command as part of btrfs-tools. Only by accident we realised few version back, that all parts of btrfs tools work ok, but conversion failing. Under some unknown conditions. We retested previous version and that was working. XBian rebounded this to avoid the problems. But now seems it is maybe that older version failing and it is time to revert to latest possible. So we have to re-run and re-test the whole process again.

Inbetween XBian interns have been modified to such extend that it is not dependent in any way on BTRFS. Still it will try with changing the cmdline.txt and fstype=btrfs. But if you before reboot revert cmdline.txt (only parameters rootfstype and rootflags - currently booted (before xbian edited them) are still visible via "cat /proc/cmdline).

So if this is reverted, rebooted, XBian will boot just normally and work the same way.

Second option - just use XBian as installation you would normally Raspbian use. XBian is further developed Raspbian. The installation you get by going flash Raspbian + install XBian packages is exactly the same as flash XBian + install packages whose XBian doesn't install by default (to keep install minimal by default).

Just disable XBMC autostart, from ssh or console install lxde and libreoffice and all other packages we are excluding normally. ONLY and just this one difference is that XBian is set by default to conflict with raspberry-pi packages provided by Raspbian to update firmware files & kernel. But this happens either way because of better integration of XBMC. Of course this consider clean installs so if you have some kind of user data / history already while running Raspbian the first variant - with just adding XBian later is we all want to go.

But again, we have to retest from scratch so meanwhile avoid the conversion.

If any of you would open issue at github to have it properly followed later would be appreciated !