Forum
File system becomes read only spontaneously - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: File system becomes read only spontaneously (/thread-2294.html)

File system becomes read only spontaneously - bullginger - 16th May, 2014 11:11 AM

Something that has been happening rather frequently lately is that the xbian filesystem will become read only spontaneously. This has been happening every couple weeks and each time I just reinstall, upgrade, and restore from backup. I have not been able to figure out what is causing damage to the file system. It will happen at time when it is running but not in use. I'll simpliy ssh into it and see and error saying the filesystem is read only.

I am using a model b raspberry pi. Could this be a power supply problem? I am using an iphone charger as a power supply which provides 1 amp which should be enough. Could the cable be causing an issue?

I turned off overclocking just in case that was causing the issue but the file system will still become corrupted.

Could it be a bad SD card? Is there a way to check it?

I have a usb hard drive attached but with external power, incase that information helps.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

RE: File system becomes read only spontaneously - CurlyMo - 16th May, 2014 06:45 PM

What does dmesg say when your FS turns readonly?

RE: File system becomes read only spontaneously - chochis - 26th May, 2014 09:02 PM

Happened to me, with similar configuration, a 1TB ext4 external disc with own power supply.
I have noticed that sometimes appears a message in XBMC saying that xbian-beta2 partition is being unmounted and mounted again...

RE: File system becomes read only spontaneously - bullginger - 26th May, 2014 11:04 PM

(26th May, 2014 09:02 PM)chochis Wrote:  Happened to me, with similar configuration, a 1TB ext4 external disc with own power supply.
I have noticed that sometimes appears a message in XBMC saying that xbian-beta2 partition is being unmounted and mounted again...

I'll see that message appear periodically as well.

Right now the system is working correctly. When it inevitably dies again I'll check dmesg to see what it says.

RE: File system becomes read only spontaneously - rbthompsonv - 25th Jul, 2014 04:29 AM

(26th May, 2014 11:04 PM)bullginger Wrote:  
(26th May, 2014 09:02 PM)chochis Wrote:  Happened to me, with similar configuration, a 1TB ext4 external disc with own power supply.

I'll see that message appear periodically as well.

Right now the system is working correctly. When it inevitably dies again I'll check dmesg to see what it says.

I think I am having this issue now...
I try to change settings but they dont keep on reboot...

Any ideas how to force it back to non-read only?

RE: File system becomes read only spontaneously - mk01 - 6th Aug, 2014 12:08 PM

@all

the remount to RO is only possibility to avoid reflash. BTRFS remounts to RO if data/metadata being processed do not match, metadata tree looks broken etc. this can have many reasons, mostly it is poor AC, too much OC (in rare case also older kernel, like pre 3.12.x). if filesystem would continue W operations with wrong informations, it would become unreadable completely very soon.

if the problem is just OC or spikes in poor AC, then just reboot is enough. if FS is really damaged, then RO will return 30s-1m after boot. in that case reboot to initramfs and "btrfs check" could help (btrfs-tools at minimum 3.14 version - otherwise reformat).