Forum
Xbian copy tool - data only - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Xbian copy tool - data only (/thread-2315.html)

Xbian copy tool - data only - kgoerbig - 27th May, 2014 07:51 AM

Is there way to image a xbian setup (all xbmc plugins, xbian config, and customizations) without imaging the entire partition? I want to create an image of just the written data on the card and not the entire partition, so that it can be restored with dd.

When I used the tool via xbian-config it imaged the entire 32GB partition,so it was a large image. I do rsync /usr/bin, /home, and /etc, however I'd like one restorable image if possible.

Re: Xbian copy tool - data only - CurlyMo - 27th May, 2014 10:04 PM

XBian copy already backs up just the used sectors. If it didn't, you should report it as a bug.

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - belese - 28th May, 2014 12:41 AM

@CurlyMo

are you sure? i'm not about it. i beleive it backup all the partition.

@kgoerbig
you can backup your home separately, but you keep only your user info(xbmc database, and others settings), if you have installed others apps, they will not backup.
you can't backup just change on your sd, so either all the card or only the home directory.

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - CurlyMo - 28th May, 2014 01:55 AM

All partitions yes, but only the used sectors of those partitions.

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - belese - 28th May, 2014 01:58 AM

i believe you,
but why you can specify the size of partition on xbian-config command line?

i don't use it in xbmc (size parameter). but i never retest backup since i've integrated in xbmc, so maybe it has changed.

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - kgoerbig - 29th May, 2014 04:02 AM

(28th May, 2014 01:58 AM)belese Wrote:  i believe you,
but why you can specify the size of partition on xbian-config command line?

i don't use it in xbmc (size parameter). but i never retest backup since i've integrated in xbmc, so maybe it has changed.

My only irritation with only backing up /home/xbian/.xbmc is that if I have to do a clean install with the factory xbian image, ssh is turned off by default, I would like to be able to create an image of just the data on the partition. This can be accomplished with clonezilla, but it is not always stable.

On that note, is there a way to enable ssh after a clean install without having to go through the xbmc gui to enable ssh access?

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - IriDium - 29th May, 2014 04:24 AM

The best way is to use the Xbian-backup function in XBMC and ssh which backs-up /home/xbian to /xbian-backup. From there you need to move it to you backup location (Another machine or HDD drive). It can then be used by reversing the process by putting it in /xbian-backup/put_here_to_restore or via XBMC xbian-config.

ssh has never been disabled on any install I have used from Beta 4 onwards. Only root ssh is disabled for security which can easily be activated via XBMC or ssh xbian-config after you have signed in with ssh xbian.

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - kgoerbig - 29th May, 2014 04:45 AM

(29th May, 2014 04:24 AM)IriDium Wrote:  The best way is to use the Xbian-backup function in XBMC and ssh which backs-up /home/xbian to /xbian-backup. From there you need to move it to you backup location (Another machine or HDD drive). It can then be used by reversing the process by putting it in /xbian-backup/put_here_to_restore or via XBMC xbian-config.

ssh has never been disabled on any install I have used from Beta 4 onwards. Only root ssh is disabled for security which can easily be activated via XBMC or ssh xbian-config after you have signed in with ssh xbian.

Thanks for the info. I did not realize xbian user was enabled after install. Thanks again

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - mk01 - 25th Jun, 2014 11:43 AM

@all

xbianclone is preserving full fs structure but is of course copying DATA only. that's why final clone (img file) is 1:1 bootable copy functional & data wise exactly the same (of course it doesn't copy older snapshots, just the one actually being booted).

size parameter is from two reasons. to have better control over final img size and then a bit historical reasons - from the times when BTRFS was significantly un-exact at reporting used size on disk (specially with compression turned on). 1st version of cloning tool was playing on safe side, it was creating final clone img of size original partition -500M (the requirement was that created img should be possible to flash back to the same card (or new card with the same capacity - but because sector counts are very much different between manufacturers - even if all for instance are providing capacity like 1T, that's why that -500M. to have reserve space in case new (THE SAME DEVICE) would be in reality a bit smaller).
2nd version of cloning tool was already using the corrected FS usage reports but because until now btrfs doesn't provide tool to report sizes of individual snapshots, the df -h reported occupancy was in maybe 5% difference (so quite exact), BUT if 50% of that was snapshots, the .img was again too big and half empty.

that's why over the versions --size param was always kept and will stay.

currently, the tool is counting exact occupied space by traversing whole filesystem (what is fortunately hell fast on btrfs). that's why it was also possible to implement the % progress bars. (currently IMG size = counted size of source +20%.

@kgoerbig

the backuphome functions will preserve only /home subvolume and finished backup file is available even through samba for download. it is the most optimum (if you don't care system itself) &user friendly as it is completely noobish and drag & drop. you just trigger it and in few minutes you can drag&drop the backup file over to your computer.
then after flashing clean img (or new version) and starting XBian you just reverts the process by dragging the file over to XBian (you don't even need to stop XBMC). if the backup is validated, XBian replaces /home with it and finally will restart XBMC - to repply all the previous settings.

RE: Xbian copy tool - data only - CurlyMo - 25th Jun, 2014 02:41 PM

@mk01, please summarize the important aspect on the wiki so these great posts don't get lost.