Forum
wifi goes down after a while - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: wifi goes down after a while (/thread-2320.html)

wifi goes down after a while - ramonskie - 29th May, 2014 09:08 PM

it seems that after a about 15 minutes the wifi goes down
and i can't login any more. but xbmc is still running

has anyone expierenced the same problem.
and/or can someone point me in the right direction of where to look??

greetz
Ramonskie

RE: wifi goes down after a while - Skywatch - 30th May, 2014 12:24 AM

Maybe check your power supply.

If you have a volt meter you can test the 5V voltage on the board. It wouldn't hurt to check it!

Consider a powered usb hub for the wifi dongle and see if the issue goes away.

skywatch

RE: wifi goes down after a while - ramonskie - 30th May, 2014 02:25 AM

i have bought a special usb adapter that outputs 2.1a 5v
i don't have a voltmeter Sad so can't test that.

i was more thinking that the problem is somewere in a power management setting or something.
couldn't find a thing

i use the tl-wn821n that should work out of the box with the raspberry pi

RE: wifi goes down after a while - mk01 - 2nd Jul, 2014 10:23 AM

@ramonskie

you can check power saver settings on the wlan0 with

iwconfig wlan0
and disable
iwconfig wlan0 power off

but I assume this will not be a problem. how is the wlan0 defined in /etc/network/interfaces ? as hotplug? it should be hotplug, not auto or otherwise.

there is also ifplugd package. it can be configured to watch over net interfaces and force issue new configuration if it failed and got status down.

RE: wifi goes down after a while - QuadCorei8085 - 25th Jul, 2014 05:37 PM

Same problem here.
My config is:
- rev2 PI 512Mb
- some TPLink Wifi dongle (8192cu)
- 8gb SDCard
- 160Gb usb hdd (system is moved using xbian copy)

Previously i used XBIAN Beta2 and upgraded it to RC2 (using a the SDCard as locked, just for kernel). Wifi worked fine without problem.
A week or two ago I had a power outage and of course it crashed my system (blinking cursos problem) as it did it for many times now.

So reinstalled the XBIAN but from installer I choosed RC2, ever since I'm experiencing this wifi standby thing.

After bootup transmission's web ui and ssh is available. But after a while the PI is no longer available, no ping response or SSH,
however XBIAN is still running and on system settings it sais the correct DHCP (statically) given IP address. Furthermore the ifconfig from console gives the same result. Also ping from RPi doesnt give any result all packet is lost.

But yesterday evening I experienced some strangeness that could give some info for experts: if I leave an open SSH session (with "top" running) or
leave the browser on transmission gui the connection persists. The RPi only looses the connection after I terminate the open connections to it, and not right away but some time later (didnt measure the time).

As previously stated here it might be a standby issue, seems when the wifi is no longer needed the RPi carelessly shuts it down..

Any idead why this is happening? What changed in RC2 in wifi settings?

ps: power is not an issue here, the RPi is supplied with a 5V/5A regulator through the USB hub (the interface USB is directly connected to input 5V). But just to rule out the power supply case I connected the offical RPi adater to the micro USB port also to give "more" power to PI just in case. The wifi had still shut down.

RE: wifi goes down after a while - QuadCorei8085 - 25th Jul, 2014 09:11 PM

@rasmonski: have you made any progress?

found a topic regarding power management:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=46569

I will try and report if this solves the issue or not, although I dont think that this could give us (me) the solution since
in my case the PI is showing "inet addr: 192.168.1.120" when I'm unable to ping it from external source or ping the router from it.

Seems that I'm facing the same problem:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/13473/connected-to-internet-but-cant-ssh-or-ping

As it is dated with current year, feb it looks like something changed either in debian or xbian.

RE: wifi goes down after a while - mk01 - 6th Aug, 2014 09:32 PM

@QuadCorei8085

is power management off working solution for you ?

XBian is doing this on Cubox platform by default - we can allow this on RPI too.