Forum
[SOLVED] external drive no longer mounts on boot - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] external drive no longer mounts on boot (/thread-2322.html)

external drive no longer mounts on boot - adepssimius - 1st Jun, 2014 07:37 AM

I have been using a btrfs external drive for some time now without issues, but I just pulled whatever updates were released within the last few days with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and now my external drive no longer mounts automatically. Here is my fstab:
Terminal

/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot xbian rw,nobootwait 0 1
/dev/root /home xbian subvol=home/@,noatime,nobootwait 0 0
/dev/root /lib/modules xbian subvol=modules/@,noatime,nobootwait 0 0
/dev/root / xbian noatime,nobootwait 0 0
none /run/lock tmpfs noauto 0 0
none /run/shm tmpfs noauto 0 0
none /run/user tmpfs noauto 0 0
UUID=bb663b44-7e4f-45b2-bb5f-01a7b7bfac10 /mnt/jurassic xbian rw,compress=lzo,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,noexec,space_cache 0 0

What I don't understand is why when I do a "mount /mnt/jurassic" (which to my knowledge calls on /etc/fstab to figure out what should be mounted there) it mounts just fine.

xbian tends to hang on the "network started" portion of the boot, but I have never been able to figure out how to get rid of the pretty graphics to see what is actually going on and my dmesg doesn't communicate anything relevant.

Any ideas what would be causing this and how I would go about diagnosing this issue?

RE: [Problem] external drive no longer mounts on boot - adepssimius - 1st Jun, 2014 10:21 AM

I figured out why it doesn't work now, but I don't understand why it worked before.

I changed
Terminal
UUID=bb663b44-7e4f-45b2-bb5f-01a7b7bfac10 /mnt/jurassic xbian rw,compress=lzo,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,noexec,space_cache 0 0
to
Terminal
UUID=bb663b44-7e4f-45b2-bb5f-01a7b7bfac10 /mnt/jurassic btrfs rw,compress=lzo,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,noexec,space_cache 0 0
and it now automatically mounts.

I thought that "xbian" was specifying that the device was being mounted by user xbian, where that space should have contained the filesystem type. What I do not understand is why it worked until I updated. Can anybody offer an explanation?

RE: external drive no longer mounts on boot - mk01 - 25th Jun, 2014 06:33 AM

before it was working due to a less optimum boot process. by default drives are mounted on boot via special mountall process which is started early in the boot and running until all known partitions / disks are not mounted. although it is quite robust in functionality, it's use for embedded system is not 100% optimal. it is designed to mount disks out of order solely based on real hierarchical dependency of mount points. this is great in general but quite lazy on slower system systems. that's why xbian is injecting it's start process and is mounting essential volumes on its own by, only when those are mounted, control is passed on to other jobs.

and now the point. xbian early in the boot mounting "xbian" type fileystems. mountall started just after to emit events needed for other things to be processed. apparently this was taking before exactly such time period in which your drisk was recognised and because the early xbian's process mounting "xbian" type filesystems was still running - it mounted also you disk. with one of latest updates that process has become shorter at about 3s which is not enough anymore for your drive be up & recognised by the system.

because we use the other mountall process just for notifications, it was'nt mounting your drive as well, but that's fine because all such disks are supposed to be mounted ad hock via hotplug mounter. unfortunately that mounter is not allowed to mount "xbian" type.

RE: external drive no longer mounts on boot - Kevin LeRoy - 21st Jul, 2014 07:51 PM

guys, i fistly aplogise for being quite new ... But after updating now my external USb drive no longer shows up on the network... any help?