Forum
Noob question, get a script running at boot - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Noob question, get a script running at boot (/thread-2345.html)

Pages: 1 2

Noob question, get a script running at boot - huibert - 13th Jun, 2014 08:40 AM

Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to Xbian, but not to linux/unix. I installed xbian on my raspberry pi model b 512mb and I have a question (probably one with a simple answer). I want to do this mod while running Xbian:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30347&p=430009

My question is, how can I get the code mentioned in the link to run at startup to run my fan. I plan on doing some overclocking and I just like the idea of a fan on there.

Thanks everyone

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - CurlyMo - 13th Jun, 2014 04:13 PM

Simple question, Why?

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - huibert - 13th Jun, 2014 04:25 PM

(13th Jun, 2014 04:13 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Simple question, Why?

Because I really really like doing that sort of stuff, and some airflow is always better than none.

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - CurlyMo - 13th Jun, 2014 04:49 PM

I never heard someone overheat their Raspberry Pi Smile

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - huibert - 13th Jun, 2014 06:52 PM

(13th Jun, 2014 04:49 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  I never heard someone overheat their Raspberry Pi Smile

It's more of a lifespan thing, but how can it be done?

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - CurlyMo - 13th Jun, 2014 07:23 PM

How, don't know. But i do know that any fan is useless. Cooling wise and lifespan wise.

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - Smultie - 13th Jun, 2014 07:52 PM

Great way to double the power usage though!

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - IriDium - 13th Jun, 2014 08:11 PM

Why not just wire it directly to the 3.3v output on the gpio pins. It will run a lot quieter than using 5v.

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - huibert - 14th Jun, 2014 12:45 AM

(13th Jun, 2014 08:11 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Why not just wire it directly to the 3.3v output on the gpio pins. It will run a lot quieter than using 5v.

I want to be able to control the fan speed, it's more of a gimmick than a real feature.

I guess no one knows how, since everyone is too obessed with telling me how useless it is but no answer to my question.

Again, can I compile and run code like I can in any other linux build, in Xbian?

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - CurlyMo - 14th Jun, 2014 12:58 AM

Quote:Again, can I compile and run code like I can in any other linux build, in Xbian?
Yes.

We just want to make absolutely sure that no users get the impression that having a fan has any use at all. That's why we repeat it that much.

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - huibert - 14th Jun, 2014 01:41 AM

(14th Jun, 2014 12:58 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  
Quote:Again, can I compile and run code like I can in any other linux build, in Xbian?
Yes.

We just want to make absolutely sure that no users get the impression that having a fan has any use at all. That's why we repeat it that much.

Okay, noted. I want to know how. When I press shift during boot up, I get a a terminal-like interface. I haven't tried doing anything in there yet. Is there a Linux desktop GUI somewhere in Xbian? Can I maybe add it? If so, how?

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - josch - 14th Jun, 2014 04:27 AM

Hola huibert, welcome to XBian! Cool

XBian is based on Raspbian (based on Debian) - so yes, you can do almost everything you can do also with Debian.
If the terminal (and of course the XBMC GUI) of XBian isn't enough for you, I would recommend: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1850-post-18439.html

That way you can also use the normal user interface (LXDE) of Raspbian.
Probably you can do it also the other way - install the missing packages under XBian - but why don't just use the HOWTO. Wink

Quote:Noob question, get a script running at boot

You can do this via init-script, rc.local or on user login (e.g. .bashrc)...
So the same methods like on Debian and other UNIX OS. If you need more help, just ask for it.

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - IriDium - 14th Jun, 2014 04:32 AM

It's quite simple, I have it running using HOTPI See http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1864.html?highlight=hotpi. This uses a daemon to control the fan speed and a control program to decide when to switch the fan on/off or whatever speed.

The scripts are held in /etc/init (I think, or init.d) and are in an upstart format.

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - huibert - 14th Jun, 2014 06:02 AM

Thank you for that reply. I took a long hard look at it, but the way you connect the fan on hotpi is different than what i want to do. I want to know how to use the code specifiek in my OP so that i can control a fan directly. I just want to know how to compile and run the code. In xbian

RE: Noob question, get a script running at boot - IriDium - 14th Jun, 2014 06:13 AM

I don't know where you are from or what your inclinations are, but "I want" does NOT bear well with in a free forum.

I, for one, will not assist in this thread any more.