Forum
[PROBLEM] Use USB as data and SD as boot device - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Use USB as data and SD as boot device (/thread-2366.html)

Use USB as data and SD as boot device - kabian - 25th Jun, 2014 05:18 AM

Hey all,

I want to use my xbian as amusic player only. Everyone in the house can control the xbian via remote xbmc app for his mobile device. So there is no need for a monitor. At least thats the plan.

My problem: When using any remote app only, I cant play the audio files stored on the usb stick. Because I am not able to choose the desired usb storage (i can only view 'all files', which is empty).

I tried to put the usb in automount and I have tried to change the /boot/cmdline.txt (i have added: 'disk=/dev/sda1' which worked with openElec)

So is there a way to get my USB stick as the default storage/data device?
I did the following with the openElec cmdline.txt:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1

How can I do so in xbian?

By the way: If I view via remote app and monitor, I am able to browse to 'Music -> $USB -> $Audiofiles'. And afterwards i can brose the current folder via remote app, but when i go one folderlevel above my list is cleared again.

RE: Use USB as data and SD as boot device - IriDium - 26th Jun, 2014 01:40 AM

Don't change cmdline.txt, it won't do anything apart from probably stopping xbian from starting.

Xbian will automount any USB drive it finds - unless it's in a format it doesn't understand.

What is your USB stick formatted as?

Check dmesg to see that the USB stick has been recognised.

If it has been recognised, but is still not recognised by Xbian, try this.

sudo mkdir /media/usb0
sudo mount -t (drive FS - eg ntfs) /dev/sdxx (As seen in dmesg, maybe sda1) /media/usb0

In XBMC go to Music, Add Music --> Browse -> Root Filesystem -> Media -> USB0 -> Ok

RE: Use USB as data and SD as boot device - kabian - 26th Jun, 2014 05:41 PM

The usb stick is formatted with FAT32. So everyone can unplug the stick and plug it in his computer to edit the music library stored on it. It is mounted as /media/sda1 (or as '/media/USB-stick-name').

After struggeling around I noticed that I had to add the music to the library first. Now everything works, and I am able to browse the folders from any remote app (via webserver).

Next thing I have to try out is the behaviour of adding/removing music to/from the usb stick. I checked library check and cleaning on startup, so this should do the trick. I will check this later.

I tried the Watchdog addon yesterday, but I have some radio streams added and watchdog is syncing them all the time. So Watchdog wont be the right way.

I will report how I managed my settings later.