Forum
AirPlay (could be a stupid question) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: AirPlay (could be a stupid question) (/thread-2383.html)

AirPlay (could be a stupid question) - Princey - 10th Jul, 2014 02:23 AM

Hi all,

Now this may sound silly, but I am going to ask anyway..

My Xbian raspberry pi is connected to my TV and HP Server (where all my media is stored and presented over NFS) as well as my home network. I have a decent TV, but when it comes to listening to music i'd much rather use my Wi-Fi speaker which receives audio over AirPlay.

I was wondering if it is possible to stream music from Xbian to a wireless speaker via AirPlay?

Thank's all for the feedback in advance.

RE: AirPlay (could be a stupid question) - IriDium - 10th Jul, 2014 02:40 AM

I have a feeling it will not work... but have you tried?

If so, what were the results.

RE: AirPlay (could be a stupid question) - Princey - 10th Jul, 2014 03:13 AM

To be honest i haven't invested too much time in trying to get it to work. I have taken a look at the user-interface and i am unable to see any option available to stream via AirPlay.

I could take a look, though.. If it is possible then perhaps all that is needed is a plugin or feature, or something.

Thanks,
David

RE: AirPlay (could be a stupid question) - belese - 10th Jul, 2014 07:34 PM

Hi ,
the short answer is No, because actual xbmc version didn't use standard linux alsa or pulse audio (on raspberry),

but there's a TEST package xbian-package-xbmc-alsa, that is a try from popcornmix to use alsa for xbmc output,
i didn't try myself, and it's a experimental version, but with this, you should be able to play sound via alsa and forward the alsa loop back to you airplay speaker (with an additional software). it should need some try and don't sure you get an usable system, but for now it's the only way to do what you want. i don't know in which xbian repository that version is, but probably on devel repo.

Belese

RE: AirPlay (could be a stupid question) - Princey - 10th Jul, 2014 09:57 PM

(10th Jul, 2014 07:34 PM)belese Wrote:  Hi ,
the short answer is No, because actual xbmc version didn't use standard linux alsa or pulse audio (on raspberry),

but there's a TEST package xbian-package-xbmc-alsa, that is a try from popcornmix to use alsa for xbmc output,
i didn't try myself, and it's a experimental version, but with this, you should be able to play sound via alsa and forward the alsa loop back to you airplay speaker (with an additional software). it should need some try and don't sure you get an usable system, but for now it's the only way to do what you want. i don't know in which xbian repository that version is, but probably on devel repo.

Belese

Time to put my developer hat on! Thank you very much - very useful!