Forum
[PROBLEM] Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network (/thread-2400.html)

Pages: 1 2

Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - Deep6 - 22nd Jul, 2014 09:07 AM

Hi Guys,

Don't know if anyone has posted this question yet, a quick search on the forum did not return any relevant results. So, here it goes:

Apparently, something is different in the model b+, as the network card and USB ports do not work with RC2. I thought I had just bought a faulty one, but after some digging around, found this topic:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=81947

Is there a quick fix for this in Xbian?

Thanks!

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - menakite - 22nd Jul, 2014 11:36 AM

Hello,
your link doesn't work right now (I get a temporary server error), anyways the issue is that the B+ needs a more recent firmware than the one in the current RC2 image.

Can you please try this image: http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/images/xbian-image-rpi-20140721.img.xz (note: xz compressed) and report back?

A couple test images have been linked to a few B+ owners, but we didn't release it as nobody reported if it worked or not. Thank you.

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - ye_sansa - 22nd Jul, 2014 07:20 PM

(22nd Jul, 2014 11:36 AM)menakite Wrote:  Hello,
your link doesn't work right now (I get a temporary server error), anyways the issue is that the B+ needs a more recent firmware than the one in the current RC2 image.

Can you please try this image: http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/images/xbian-image-rpi-20140721.img.xz (note: xz compressed) and report back?

A couple test images have been linked to a few B+ owners, but we didn't release it as nobody reported if it worked or not. Thank you.

I had the same problem, I couldn't use the mouse during the installation of Xbian.
So I have tried with your link. I downloaded the image and Install it in the microSD through Win32 Disk Imager. and now it works, at least the mouse. I guess that the wifi works as well.

Thank you

Edit.
I guest wrong, because my dongle WIFI doesn't work. It worked with raspbmc so is not a dongle problem. Xbian recognize my dongle (wlan0), but I cannot find any network.
At the beginning my network (eth0) didn't work either, but after rebooting it is solved. But my wifi is still not working.
Anyonw knows whats is the problem now?

Thank you very much

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - hopster - 22nd Jul, 2014 07:55 PM

Hello,

xbian-image-rpi-20140721 does work with the Raspberry Pi B+. USB and network are running. Though I am having problems establishing a wifi connection via TP-Link TL-WN725N. The adapter shows up as wlan0. I am also able to enter the SSID and password and it is also saying that it did a successful set up. Unfortunately it still does say DOWN and I am also not getting an IP address assigned from my DHCP server.

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - Deep6 - 23rd Jul, 2014 06:03 AM

Well, I got my B+ working with RC2. Put the sd card in a model B (with an adapter) did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade (via xbian-config), put the card back in the B+ and the network and USB ports started working.

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - IriDium - 24th Jul, 2014 02:13 AM

@hopster Have you tried the ssh version of xbian-config. It seems to work a lot better than the XBMC version.

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - AdsDory - 26th Jul, 2014 07:21 PM

Hi Guys, So i got a Pi B+

My First Pi

Tried another XBMC however Xbian has better reviews so giving it ago.

I came across this problem and run the image posted above and xbian-image-rpi-20140725

Problem i am still left with is, the Network. It says its up when first setting up Xbian.

But then when i go into settings it says that its down and i cant connect to the network.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ads

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - IriDium - 27th Jul, 2014 01:14 AM

@AdsDory Are you on Ethernet or Wifi?
When checking what does it say in XBMC xbian-config and also in XBMC -> System -> System Info.

If you're still having issues, try "exit" from the shutdown menu. Sign in with xbian/raspberry - this should take you to the ssh xbian-config screen. Select System settings -> Network interfaces and set the values there. Reboot and hopefully it will be working

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - AdsDory - 28th Jul, 2014 11:11 PM

First i tried by Ethernet. when i first started in Xbian the setup wizard said "Network Status: Up"

Then when you go into the settings menu, it says there is no IP address assigned etc.

So the i tried a wireless dongle.

I had the same thing, at setup up entered the wifi password etc, Then go to settings and it says its down.

I have Gone to the Xbian setup screen at the bottom of settings which brings the Network settings up in there. It is set to DCHP but says down, i tried playing around with a manual IP but no luck for both devices.

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - A. Square - 30th Jul, 2014 12:07 AM

(22nd Jul, 2014 11:36 AM)menakite Wrote:  Can you please try this image: http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/images/xbian-image-rpi-20140721.img.xz (note: xz compressed) and report back?

For the record, since you said nobody reported it: I had this problem on my B+, I downloaded the image you linked to above, and now everything is working as expected. Thank you!

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - IriDium - 30th Jul, 2014 02:37 AM

Not everyone has a "New" B+" RPi - so it is imperative that those who do, assist in debugging any issues.

For now, until a new img is posted, I would suggest all users with a B+, use the new image and report issues, only occurring with this image.

Any issues with an "old" image should upgrade.

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - A. Square - 30th Jul, 2014 11:07 PM

(30th Jul, 2014 02:37 AM)IriDium Wrote:  For now, until a new img is posted, I would suggest all users with a B+, use the new image and report issues, only occurring with this image.

Will do. This is my first XBian install, and I don't have an older RPi to compare it with, so I don't know if this is an issue with this image, or just something stupid that I don't know about, but there's a small rainbow box in the upper-right corner of XBMC that's always visible, on both menu screens and when video is playing. If I move the mouse cursor on a menu screen it goes underneath the box. I have no idea how to get rid of it. It's only visible in XBMC, not when I exit to a shell. Searching the forums only seems to turn up problems involving the rainbow boot screen, but that's not what I'm seeing. Any ideas?

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - IriDium - 31st Jul, 2014 12:41 AM

@A.Square Can you post a screenshot of the image.

What skin are you using. If NOT Confluence, can you try that and see if it still appears.

If you're using a keyboard, use the Prt Scr key and you will be prompted as to where to store the file. Choose /home/xbian.

Is anyone else with a B+ experiencing this issue?

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - driet - 31st Jul, 2014 02:51 AM

I am also new to my B+ and had the same problems like the TO. So, because the links above are dead, here are the direct links to the directory

http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/images/ and to the latest file http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/images/xbian-image-rpi-20140725.img.xz

Wink

RE: Raspberry Pi B+ USB and Network - A. Square - 31st Jul, 2014 07:50 AM

(31st Jul, 2014 12:41 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @A.Square Can you post a screenshot of the image.

What skin are you using. If NOT Confluence, can you try that and see if it still appears.

If you're using a keyboard, use the Prt Scr key and you will be prompted as to where to store the file. Choose /home/xbian.

Is anyone else with a B+ experiencing this issue?

I'm using Confluence. The square has been there since my initial boot from the image. When it was at the default 1080i resolution the square was cut off, so that only the left side of it showed, but when I switched to 720p its position shifted to where it is in the screenshot.

The screenshots I took came out entirely black; according to this thread, that's a known issue with XBMC on Raspberry Pi. So, instead I took a photo of the screen.[attachment=341]