Forum
Boot USB - No Network Connection - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Boot USB - No Network Connection (/thread-2403.html)

Boot USB - No Network Connection - kgoerbig - 27th Jul, 2014 12:56 AM

Xbian Version: XBian v1.0RC2 - Bleeding Edge
Rasp PI Model B

Yesterday, I tried the xbian copier tool to copy system files to a 8GB USB stick. All went well with the copying, and it booted just fine from the usb stick after the copy with all my XBMC layout/apps. However, I noticed I didn't have a network connection at all. I went into the system info > Network section to find everything blank. My Router assigns dhcp to all my devices. All the Ethernet lights were on the PI, so it wasn't a connection issue, and is hardwired to my router.

Before I used the copier, I backed up cmdline.txt as cmdline.txt.bak to have a backup copy of it.

Since I couldn't ssh into the PI without a network connection, I tried to reverse the process by pulling the sdcard and inserted it into a card reader on another linux box I have, and renaming cmdline.txt.bak to cmdline.txt , however it didn't boot from SD anymore it stayed in a boot loop. Luckily, I rsync my data to a separate USB drive, and was able to re-image/recover in about 30min.

Can any provide insight of why Xbian couldn't gain DHCP from booting from a USB stick?

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - IriDium - 27th Jul, 2014 01:31 AM

I can see no reason for the N/W not to work if the process was followed.

It should have nothing to do with the SD card as that is just used for the boot process (I assume you changed cmdline.txt to root=/dev/sdax when using the USB stick).

I'm also assuming it is a model B and not a B+ (Process has not been tested but should work)

If it would not boot again then it's possible cmdline.txt or config.txt were corrupted (Maybe with non windows line feeds or something).

Try again, and if not N/W "exit" via the shutdown menu and sign in xbian/raspberry. Then use xbian-config. System settings -> Network interfaces to set the values.

If still no luck post cmdline.txt, config.txt and dmesg via http://www.pastebin.com

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - kgoerbig - 27th Jul, 2014 01:48 AM

Yes, IriDium, I changed root=/dev/sdax to the correct partition after the copy. I used Ubuntu command line to rename from cmdline.txt.bak to cmdline.txt after I mounted the SD card.

Was there anything that I missed besides changing root=/dev/sdax in cmdline.txt after using the copy tool?

I coul try the copytool to copy to a seperate partition in a 1TB exxternal drive if that might provide more stability.

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - IriDium - 27th Jul, 2014 01:55 AM

No that should have been all that is required - as long as cmdline.txt and config.txt are both readable as text all should be fine.

Model B not B+ ???

Continue as I said and see what happens.

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - kgoerbig - 27th Jul, 2014 02:00 AM

Yes, Regular B model.

(27th Jul, 2014 01:55 AM)IriDium Wrote:  No that should have been all that is required - as long as cmdline.txt and config.txt are both readable as text all should be fine.

Model B not B+ ???

Continue as I said and see what happens.

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - IriDium - 27th Jul, 2014 02:09 AM

Please only use the "Quote" if it is related - otherwise the thread gets unreadable.

Then all should work flawlessly - I have done the process 30 times plus without issues, the only difference is I use Windoze instead of Linux to make the changes required - it shouldn't matter but...

Can you post cmdline.txt and config.txt as attachments.

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - kgoerbig - 27th Jul, 2014 02:27 AM

Unfortunately, I do not have cmdline.txt from the usb install anymore as I re-imaged, and rsync'd my data back to the SD installation. I'll attempt it again tonight, and post the configs.

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - IriDium - 27th Jul, 2014 02:29 AM

Ok - run the copy process as before from xbian-config, change cmdline.txt, reboot and then post ALL items as requested before.

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - Sim1 - 27th Jul, 2014 06:07 AM

Might be power issue.
I had similar issue when after vacation I booted 2 rpis, one with xbian and other running squeezeplug distro as music player and I switched psu accidentally. Xbian one uses dedicated raspberry psu and the music player is powered by normal Nokia phone charger.
Xbian started on Nokia but after moment lost connection and it happened every reboot, no way to make network work normally... then I realized I switched the power supplies and all was back perfect.
USB stick might take the amount of power to make ethernet work unstable.

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - kgoerbig - 27th Jul, 2014 10:31 AM

I connect a powered USB hub to my PI, and run all storage devices, and IR devices off the powered hub.

Well, I used xbian-copy to copy over to a partition on my external terabyte harddrive, and it booted great, however same issue ... no network connection. All lights lit up on the Ethernet adapter.

Went into xbian-config (Gui) and all was set to dhcp. Tried to change it to static and input values (192.168.1.14, 255.255.255.0, & 192.168.1.1), and gave me a network connection error.

Powered off the PI, pulled the SD card, and on my ubuntu box renamed cmdline.txt.bak to cmdline.txt from the ubuntu filemanager, and this time it booted up without error from the sdcard. It boots fine from both usb and sdcard, but I have no network connection via usb boot. As soon as I switched back to the original cmdline.txt and booted from sdcard, the network connection is fine. I'm stumped.

Modified cmdline.txt to boot from usb hdd:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=83MXKWBC

confiig.txt
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=KjG8k56D

Also, as a sidenote, when install Xbian RC2 I do an apt-get update & upgrade -y. Would this have any effect on the USB copy process?

RE: Boot USB - No Network Connection - IriDium - 28th Jul, 2014 01:21 AM

The Ethernet lights don't mean squat unless they are blinking.

The update/upgrade wouldn't make a difference.

My only concern is you're booting off of sdb (What is on sda?) I would unplug all HDD first, and change to sda1 as that should be the first boot device found.

Post the output of dmesg. Also try changing the network in native command line mode xbian-config.