Forum
[PROBLEM] Failed to open /dev/disk1, are you sure the SD cards hardware lock is off? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Failed to open /dev/disk1, are you sure the SD cards hardware lock is off? (/thread-2404.html)

Failed to open /dev/disk1, are you sure the SD cards hardware lock is off? - Ryan Black - 27th Jul, 2014 03:36 PM

I've used several different RPi XBMC distros over the last few years but finally settled on Xbian as my favorite, which I've been using exclusively for about the last 9 months. My SD card got corrupted by an improper shutdown, so I re-formatted the card (as FAT) and have been trying to re-install it. I downloaded the latest installer from xbian.org today.

I keep getting the error message when trying to install xbian to my sd card, and the lock switch is not on. I've tried 4 different cards, 3 different card readers, and two different computers (both Mac OS X 10.8.5).

I even tried the Windows and Linux installers (via a virtual machine) but had no luck getting those to work.

I tried downloading the xbian image file, and using the CLI to dd the data to the card, but the RPi wouldn't boot.

I tried to find an older release of the installer (the one I used months ago, thinking maybe the latest version isn't compatible with my computer OS) but I couldn't find anything on source forge.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

RE: Failed to open /dev/disk1, are you sure the SD cards hardware lock is off? - IriDium - 28th Jul, 2014 01:41 AM

I can't answer for the Mac installer as it won't run on my old Puddy Cat 10.4.

I've never had a problem with the installer on XP but I wonder if a VM may not have the low level access required for image writing (I could be wrong).

You could try the latest "test image for the B+) http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/images/xbian-image-rpi-20140721.img.xz and use dd to write the image.

If is still doesn't boot, edit /boot/config.txt and comment out with # the initramfs statement, save and try again.

If you're still have issues, post cmdline.txt and config.txt as they may be corrupted.

RE: Failed to open /dev/disk1, are you sure the SD cards hardware lock is off? - menakite - 30th Jul, 2014 03:23 AM

I can reproduce this. An updated OS X installer should appear on SourceForge shortly. Your Raspberry Pi not booting is a different issue, though.