Forum
[SOLVED] Can not access GUI after config - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Can not access GUI after config (/thread-241.html)

Can not access GUI after config - akash - 11th Jan, 2013 05:37 PM

Hi there,
I've been playing with this issue for a couple of days and I'm at a loss. I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with my Pi.

I've installed Xbian 1.0.4 without any problems, and gone through the configuration without any problems. However, when I exit the config, the Pi just sits on a command line and does not start up any GUI.

Typing 'xbmc' gives the following error:
Terminal

xbian@xbian:~# xbmc
sh: 1: glxinfo: not found
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware
xbian@xbian:~#

I've also tried typing /etc/init.d/xbmc start as suggested by someone on the IRC channel, but that doesn't do anything:
Terminal

xbian@xbian:~# sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc start
xbian@xbian:~#

I've installed the Download package from the config and I can access the various programs through my network running on the Pi; so it's obviously capable of some things.

I've also tried both Raspbmc and Raspbian (wheezy) - both of them give me weird similar problems too. Essentially they will not start up any GUI.

I've tried Xbian with 2 different SD cards, two different SD readers, and on 2 computers (both Macs). I've installed the image manually using dd because the XPi installer tool doesn't work for me; it crashes (I've tried with both Xbian 1.04 and 1.03 and Raspbmc).

Could this be a power supply issue? I am running the Pi of an iphone charger. At the moment I don't have any other charger I can test it with.

Re: Can't access GUI after config - rikardo1979 - 11th Jan, 2013 06:09 PM

but when you first install the XBian and boot 1st time, does it boot into XBMC GUI ?
EDIT: I mean after you flash fresh XBian on SD card than you plug it into your RPi and let it boot 1st time without any interfering

RE: Can't access GUI after config - akash - 11th Jan, 2013 06:10 PM

No, it has never booted into XBMC

Re: RE: Can't access GUI after config - rikardo1979 - 11th Jan, 2013 06:12 PM

(11th Jan, 2013 06:10 PM)akash Wrote:  No, it has never booted into XBMC

did you check the MD5 checksum ? does it match ?

RE: Can't access GUI after config - akash - 11th Jan, 2013 06:18 PM

Yes, I've just checked and it matches

Re: Can't access GUI after config - rikardo1979 - 11th Jan, 2013 06:19 PM

little confused here cos you saying you installed XBian without the problems and you also did configure it without the problem.
But how did you configure when is not boot into XBMC ?
cos after new installation and first boot it should go straight into XBMC

RE: Can't access GUI after config - akash - 11th Jan, 2013 06:20 PM

No, it boots into the config interface
Edit - more info:
The Config interface loads up, and I can configure the settings as per the tutorial.
However after finishing that I choose 'Return', the config closes, and I get a command line. Then nothing else happens.

ah. I've just realised what I've been doing wrong.
I was expecting XBMC to appear as a GUI inside the SSH interface. Or something to happen in the SSH interface.
But it's all happening and I have to access it via the web or a connected monitor. Is that right?

Re: Can't access GUI after config - rikardo1979 - 11th Jan, 2013 06:54 PM

try to install XBian by using this tool
http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/11/02/installing-raspbmc-to-raspberry-pi-for-mac/

RE: Can't access GUI after config - BartOtten - 11th Jan, 2013 06:59 PM

(11th Jan, 2013 06:20 PM)akash Wrote:  ah. I've just realised what I've been doing wrong.
I was expecting XBMC to appear as a GUI inside the SSH interface. Or something to happen in the SSH interface.
But it's all happening and I have to access it via the web or a connected monitor. Is that right?

That is correct Smile

Also you can't start XBMC by using the command "xbmc. In case you need it user "/etc/init.d/xbmc restart" or "sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc restart"

Re: Can not access GUI after config - rikardo1979 - 11th Jan, 2013 07:00 PM

here we go than Smile
glad you sorted it

RE: Can not access GUI after config - akash - 11th Jan, 2013 07:04 PM

OK! I've figured it out.
Can I suggest that this is incorporated into the tutorials? Because it really isn't obvious for a newbie. I'm running the Pi as a media server, so I don't have any monitor connected to it.

Thanks for your help.

RE: Can not access GUI after config - BartOtten - 11th Jan, 2013 10:32 PM

Why would you want to run XBMC when the Pi is only a server? To use it's DNLA function?

RE: Can not access GUI after config - akash - 12th Jan, 2013 10:17 AM

(11th Jan, 2013 10:32 PM)BartOtten Wrote:  Why would you want to run XBMC when the Pi is only a server? To use it's DNLA function?
Now I understand that I don't really need to run XBMC - however I didn't really know exactly what XBMC did when I first started playing with this. I think I'll just run the Download package stuff and turn XBMC off.