Forum
XBian Release Candidate 3 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Releases (/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: XBian Release Candidate 3 (/thread-2451.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - menakite - 4th Sep, 2014 09:51 AM

Can you please try the following 2 commands:
Terminal
sudo locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

It'll ask for the xbian user password: raspberry, if you didn't change it.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - ubersteiny - 4th Sep, 2014 10:04 AM

(4th Sep, 2014 09:51 AM)menakite Wrote:  Can you please try the following 2 commands:
Terminal
sudo locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

It'll ask for the xbian user password: raspberry, if you didn't change it.

Thanks! that worked.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - Chris83 - 5th Sep, 2014 07:35 AM

Just wanted to report that I also did a fresh install of the RC3 release and everything is up and running again.
Used the RPi B+ and had no issues with network others reported earlier.
After flashing the image and cloning to USB I tried to update and hit the libc6 dependency error.
I know there is apparently a reason (which nobody dares to specify) why it is held back, but I rather do another reinstall than having sleepless nights knowing there are updates waiting in the queue ^^
So I went ahead and installed these two:
https://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc6_2.13-38+rpi2+deb7u3_armhf.deb
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/libsystemd-login0_44-11+deb7u4_armhf.deb

Afterwards I proceeded with updates via xbian-config and everything went through smoothly (but also had to do the locales reconfig) - nothing left in the update queue :-)
Also installed python, flexget and transmission.

Two things I picked up:
1. Before I started the clone I deleted existing partitions on the USB drive and created two fresh NTFS partitions it. Cloning to the first, small partition sda1 broke something in the file system of sda2. Windows repair was able to fix the partition on sda2 but a video file which I put there intentionally for testing before cloning was gone for good. Now the btrfs partition on sda1 seems to be working fine under Xbian, and the sda2 partition seems to be working fine under both Windows and Xbian. I'm thinking something on the MBR got damaged when xbian converted the NTFS partition on sda1 to btrfs? Maybe that needs some testing/analyzing by someone who knows what he is doing.

2. I spend around 4h (yes I'm an absolute beginner on Linux) trying to figuring out why I did not have write access on the Samba share located under /media/LABEL (mounted by /dev/sda2).
writing was possible on all the other default shares (except of course /var/logs, to which I also only could write with root via SSH). But not on the NTFS drive and I also had write access there via ssh - just not via Samba.
I finally figured out this was caused by the Samba options in /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf. Did the standard entries change since the Beta2 release? I'm quite sure I never had to edit them before (but before that my USB share was on a btrfs filesystem). I think this should be changed. Rather have standard configs for Samba which encourage password protected access and have an initial, easily identifiable write protection in /etc/samba/shares.conf than hiding a Samba write protection in /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf. I'm sure I did a lot of awful things to the security settings trying to get rid of it.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - CurlyMo - 5th Sep, 2014 07:44 AM

Quote:I know there is apparently a reason (which nobody dares to specify)...
There is just the reason that there is an unmet dependency we can't fix but raspbian should. Nothing more nothing less. We don't update for just updates.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - Chris83 - 5th Sep, 2014 07:55 AM

Not saying it is up to the Xbian team to fix it, but when I reported this workaround of manually installing the file earlier, I got the impression from the forum feedback that this workaround is not really something recommendable and we should rather just wait for raspbian to fix it. I didn't understand why - it worked for me and I saw improvements on shairplay with the updates.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - dimbeni - 5th Sep, 2014 09:02 AM

Hi everyone,

Is it me or xbian.brantje.com is down? I had no success trying to update, and I'm getting

Terminal
> ping xbian.brantje.com
PING xbian.brantje.com (188.142.48.93) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- xbian.brantje.com ping statistics ---
16 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 14999ms

a momentary lapse?

Thanks

Davide

Re: RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - f1vefour - 5th Sep, 2014 03:25 PM

(5th Sep, 2014 07:55 AM)Chris83 Wrote:  Not saying it is up to the Xbian team to fix it, but when I reported this workaround of manually installing the file earlier, I got the impression from the forum feedback that this workaround is not really something recommendable and we should rather just wait for raspbian to fix it. I didn't understand why - it worked for me and I saw improvements on shairplay with the updates.

Your workaround could break things, in the future when/if a package on your system breaks you come here for help but no one else has this problem and can't figure out why you do. We spend unnecessary time researching, troubleshooting and helping without knowing you prematurely updated libc6.

This is simply a for instance why you wouldn't want to manually install a important system library from a third party source.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - dimbeni - 5th Sep, 2014 04:07 PM

(5th Sep, 2014 09:02 AM)dimbeni Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Is it me or xbian.brantje.com is down? I had no success trying to update, and I'm getting

Terminal
> ping xbian.brantje.com
PING xbian.brantje.com (188.142.48.93) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- xbian.brantje.com ping statistics ---
16 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 14999ms

a momentary lapse?

Thanks

Davide

Momentary indeed, looks solved now.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - IriDium - 5th Sep, 2014 11:37 PM

RPi Model B

Well I've had not luck getting it running. Downloaded the RC3 and installed with win32diskimager. RPi boots, I see the spash screen and then a load of text about unknown jobs. The screen then goes blank. Nothing usable after that,

Tried without initramfs but same issue.

Network not working. Did notice that something was on 192.168.1.1 whereas my network is on 192.168.0.xxx (Might be the reason people are having issues with the N/W.

Now trying an upgrade from RC2.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - f1vefour - 6th Sep, 2014 07:45 AM

Do you have a way to connect with serial Iridium?

I will try to reproduce your issue Iridium, I can get a serial terminal and diagnose what is happening. My network is also the same 192.168.0.x

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - weezer - 6th Sep, 2014 08:20 AM

(5th Sep, 2014 03:25 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  Your workaround could break things, in the future when/if a package on your system breaks you come here for help but no one else has this problem and can't figure out why you do. We spend unnecessary time researching, troubleshooting and helping without knowing you prematurely updated libc6.

This is simply a for instance why you wouldn't want to manually install a important system library from a third party source.

Hi guys. I am getting worried. I followed this procedure for updating libc6. It did not help me by the way, but it also did not break anything. Can i roll back to official libc6 or should I just wait for the rpi update? Do I even get to see the update when it arrives?

Thanks, weezer

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - f1vefour - 6th Sep, 2014 08:34 AM

Do you have a previous snapshot?

Re: RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - f1vefour - 6th Sep, 2014 03:50 PM

(5th Sep, 2014 11:37 PM)IriDium Wrote:  RPi Model B

Well I've had not luck getting it running. Downloaded the RC3 and installed with win32diskimager. RPi boots, I see the spash screen and then a load of text about unknown jobs. The screen then goes blank. Nothing usable after that,

Tried without initramfs but same issue.

Network not working. Did notice that something was on 192.168.1.1 whereas my network is on 192.168.0.xxx (Might be the reason people are having issues with the N/W.

Now trying an upgrade from RC2.

(6th Sep, 2014 02:43 PM)azverkan Wrote:  Using the RC3 image install, after booting the network did not want to activate over DHCP or static.

Trying to set IP address manually from the command shell didn't work due to not having /sbin/ifconfig. I noticed that the image was missing net-tools and after installing that package, DHCP appears to work again.

Looks to be the culprit, I can't find my Xbian card so I can't currently check.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - CurlyMo - 6th Sep, 2014 04:37 PM

@weezer, if you upgraded libc6 on your own than you are exactly that. On your own. We where clear about not doing it.

RE: XBian Release Candidate 3 - weezer - 6th Sep, 2014 09:07 PM

(6th Sep, 2014 08:34 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Do you have a previous snapshot?

no, I had to flash my SD and did a fresh install. will this restore also the libc6?

(6th Sep, 2014 04:37 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  @weezer, if you upgraded libc6 on your own than you are exactly that. On your own. We where clear about not doing it.

I Understand, although I did the update before the warning. That is why I think it is great that you tell people not to post thinks like that on this forum. I only want to know if after a fresh install of the sd card i am back in business or did i ruin my rpi