Forum
RC3 missing net-tools package? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: RC3 missing net-tools package? (/thread-2459.html)

RC3 missing net-tools package? - azverkan - 6th Sep, 2014 02:43 PM

Using the RC3 image install, after booting the network did not want to activate over DHCP or static.

Trying to set IP address manually from the command shell didn't work due to not having /sbin/ifconfig. I noticed that the image was missing net-tools and after installing that package, DHCP appears to work again.

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - f1vefour - 6th Sep, 2014 03:46 PM

Thanks for reporting this, a lot of people have been having issues and this is likely why.

Would you mind filling a bug report on github?

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - CurlyMo - 6th Sep, 2014 04:36 PM

[tech]Probably also related to the busybox changes[/tech]

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - f1vefour - 6th Sep, 2014 06:41 PM

Does ifconfig normally come from busybox instead of the standalone binary?

I see your referring to:

https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/597

Hopefully we will have a new image up soon.

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - azverkan - 7th Sep, 2014 04:07 AM

(6th Sep, 2014 06:41 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  Does ifconfig normally come from busybox instead of the standalone binary?

I had to rollback to RC2 because of partition corruption. I suspect it might be related to the experimental switch to lz4 compression.

On RC2, net-tools is installed by default and contains /sbin/ifconfig (among other stuff).

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - Bamishere - 8th Sep, 2014 10:36 PM

(6th Sep, 2014 02:43 PM)azverkan Wrote:  Using the RC3 image install, after booting the network did not want to activate over DHCP or static.

Trying to set IP address manually from the command shell didn't work due to not having /sbin/ifconfig. I noticed that the image was missing net-tools and after installing that package, DHCP appears to work again.

Same here,no net connection,remote keyboard is working now,hope for a fix,would be nice for everything to work out of box.

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - jsandrade - 9th Sep, 2014 12:32 AM

same here, following this thread.

Re: RC3 missing net-tools package? - f1vefour - 9th Sep, 2014 08:02 AM

(6th Sep, 2014 10:08 PM)IriDium Wrote:  I did a fresh install of RC2 and then upgraded without any issues. Afterwards, the network was down (as others have reported), so I exited out of xbmc and set it in xbian-config and all was fine.

No issues so far.........

Try exciting XBMC and using xbian-config, it worked for IriDium.

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - lovingboth - 10th Sep, 2014 04:26 AM

Ah, that's why the new RC3 install can't see the network Smile

I did have one that had gone 'Beta - RC1 - RC2', but that stopped working after doing some more updates: on booting, it would restart XMBC after a few seconds about five or six times before being stable, so I downloaded RC3 last night.

Hmm, which Rasbian package(s) can be downloaded to fix this? If I put net-tools from packages.debian.org/wheezy/armhf/net-tools/download on a memory stick and use dpkg to install it, the XBMC network setup reckons that the network is 'up' (at least until I try changing anything) but it never acquires an address and if I do..

(9th Sep, 2014 08:02 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Try exciting XBMC and using xbian-config, it worked for IriDium.

.. via a keyboard attached to the Pi, it will let me pick whether to use DHCP or a static address, but not set the static address.

Update: installing netcat-openbsd and netcat-traditional doesn't fix things either, but there are no more obvious (to me) missing packages.

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - lovingboth - 3rd Oct, 2014 08:04 AM

So, is there any way to get a new install of RC3 working?

If there is, what is it?

If not, and you have to install RC2 instead and cross fingers when upgrading it, why is RC3 still there?

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - CurlyMo - 3rd Oct, 2014 08:10 AM

Did you actually use the very latest version of the RC3 image from a week ago?

RE: RC3 missing net-tools package? - mk01 - 10th Oct, 2014 12:07 PM

(10th Sep, 2014 04:26 AM)lovingboth Wrote:  Hmm, which Rasbian package(s) can be downloaded to fix this? If I put net-tools from packages.debian.org/wheezy/armhf/net-tools/download on a memory stick and use dpkg to install it, the XBMC network setup reckons that the network is 'up' (at least until I try changing anything) but it never acquires an address and if I do..

ifconfig is already obsolete together with other utils from net-tools package and replaced by "ip".
although we re-added ifconfig for now it will disappear with Jessie coming.

on the already deployed RC3 images installed without net-tools it can be anytime added with apt-get but easier is to just use busybox's ifconfig applet - by calling
Code:
busybox ifconfig

busybox is deployed by default.