Forum
[Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? (/thread-2510.html)

Pages: 1 2

[Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - psyLord - 6th Oct, 2014 07:29 PM

Hi,
I installed a fresh RC3 and it works nice.

But I realized that there is no autocompletion in the terminal anymore (I'm using ssh to log in.).
Is there a way to activate this? I'm using the terminal quite often and it's a bit annoying to type everything by hand.

Cheers

RE: How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - rikardo1979 - 6th Oct, 2014 07:36 PM

(6th Oct, 2014 07:29 PM)psyLord Wrote:  Hi,
I installed a fresh RC3 and it works nice.

But I realized that there is no autocompletion in the terminal anymore (I'm using ssh to log in.).
Is there a way to activate this? I'm using the terminal quite often and it's a bit annoying to type everything by hand.

Cheers

isn't this on the side of your SSH client?

RE: How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - belese - 6th Oct, 2014 11:20 PM

No, i'don't believe client ssh has something to do with this,
i've got the same problem on Cubox with Xbian too since few times (maybe 1 month or a bit more).

RE: How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - rikardo1979 - 7th Oct, 2014 01:12 AM

not sure but it does work for me
latest RC3 build

RE: How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - menakite - 7th Oct, 2014 03:11 AM

Can you try
Terminal
sudo apt-get install bash-completion

It's possible it is no longer installed by default.

RE: How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - mk01 - 7th Oct, 2014 08:26 PM

yes, it is because of this. I would say bash_completion dropped out of default package list by mistake ...

it has only 1m installed, so why not to re-add-it.

RE: How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - psyLord - 10th Oct, 2014 06:18 PM

(7th Oct, 2014 03:11 AM)menakite Wrote:  Can you try
Terminal
sudo apt-get install bash-completion

It's possible it is no longer installed by default.

Thanks a lot! That worked.

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - f1vefour - 10th Oct, 2014 06:45 PM

Marked solved. Thanks menakite.

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - belese - 11th Oct, 2014 01:47 AM

By installing bash-completion, it work but not for apt (like before),
to enable auto-completion for apt, you should uncomment theses lines :

Code:
# enable bash completion in interactive shells
#if ! shopt -oq posix; then
#  if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
#    . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
#  elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
#    . /etc/bash_completion
#  fi
#fi

in /etc/bash.bashrc

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - mk01 - 11th Oct, 2014 05:03 AM

@belese

sourcing /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion is done through /etc/profile.d script . for me works on wheezy and also jessie without sourcing it again from bash profile script.

(and /etc/profile.d/*.sh are sourced from /etc/profile without any conditions. so it must be run for sure)

can you maybe check what bash version you have? actually the bash-completion is run only if bash is >= 4.1

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - belese - 11th Oct, 2014 05:39 AM

Code:
echo "$BASH_VERSION"
4.2.37(1)-release

i'm on raspebrry, maybe it need a reboot when bash-completion was installed, to re-run init script.
i don't think i've reboot between test, if you want i can comment again, and redo test after reboot.

and to be sure we're talking same, auto-completion for file, executable was working, just apt-get auto-completion didn't work (and maybe other interactive).

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - mk01 - 11th Oct, 2014 07:58 AM

you need logout and login again.

the other things - yes, we mean the same.
please retest again as if it wouldn't work then it would have other implications too as we use there 3 own scripts. so your current setup would be worth checking - because I was sure until now those scripts are run always unconditionally.

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - belese - 12th Oct, 2014 01:47 AM

yes it was working after commented lines again, need just a logout/login after install.

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - Carpenter - 14th Jan, 2015 07:49 PM

I saw this threat and auto-completion looks really interesting to me. Apt says it's already installed but I'm not noticing any auto-completion, is there something I have to activate or someting?

RE: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3? - CurlyMo - 14th Jan, 2015 08:13 PM

Auto-completion should just work OOTB. Just type something and hit [tab][tab]