Forum
HDMI to Component Convertor - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: HDMI to Component Convertor (/thread-2519.html)

HDMI to Component Convertor - Chrisjohnhodge - 15th Oct, 2014 01:23 AM

Please forgive my newbie-ness. I am scratching my head over this one. Ive followed many other peoples instructions for similar set ups but cant seem to actually get anywhere. Its driving me mad!

I have My Pi set up with Xbian just done a clean install. I have purchased offve amazon an HDMI to Component convertor and have this all plugged in. (one of these -http://www.port-ta.com/products/279.html) to an old CRT television (one of these Toshiba 36ZP19P) and so far nothing.

I would be grateful of any help (kept simple if possible Smile) to see if i can get this to work.
I have tried my tescoHudl tablet plugged in and the sound comes across, but alas no picture (although i didnt spend any time messing around with it)

Keeping my fingers crossed in anticipation....

RE: HDMI to Component Convertor - rikardo1979 - 15th Oct, 2014 04:14 AM

why do you go such complicated way? RPi has 3.5 jack for audio and RCA composite video out. so what is the point to connecting and expensive HDMI converter?

RE: HDMI to Component Convertor - f1vefour - 15th Oct, 2014 07:29 AM

Component video is of higher quality Richard, component video can be up to 1080p.

The analog audio output on the Pi is also terrible, it is extremely noisy.

RE: HDMI to Component Convertor - rikardo1979 - 15th Oct, 2014 07:47 AM

sorry, my bad. I was reading composite not component as I posted Big Grin
but anyway, dont think so you get 1080p on any CRT Wink
and yes, the analog is much worst, but hey, if you go the way of compromises than you need to accept that you will not get as much as from HDMI

RE: HDMI to Component Convertor - f1vefour - 15th Oct, 2014 02:57 PM

Oh I do accept the compromise Smile

There are 1080 capable CRT's but I'm sure the poster just wanted slightly better video and much better audio on a standard 480p component input setup.

RE: HDMI to Component Convertor - rikardo1979 - 15th Oct, 2014 05:50 PM

so as this is just some converter there is no EDID detected by CEC. this causing the issue. you need to find the best resolution you would like to use and than force it in config settings. have a look on RPi web and search config. than force HDMI out by command and than force the actual resolution by another command by adding this lines into config.
Same apply for the sound