Forum
ffwd & rwd problems - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: ffwd & rwd problems (/thread-252.html)

ffwd & rwd problems - julius02 - 13th Jan, 2013 04:00 AM

Just wanted to ask why when you fast forward or rewind (skip) the screen goes grey and blocky - you can still hear audio but then the picture will suddenly catch up and appear. is this xbmc or xbian?
thanks

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - namtih - 13th Jan, 2013 04:20 AM

XBMC and the firmware.
The "grey and blocky" screen is somehow corrected in on of the current XBMC or firmware versions. So I think it will be gone with one of the next released versions.

The other fact is that ffwd and rwd didn't really worked well in XBMC as far as I read it. In all posts I've read about this topic the last weeks all members suggested to use the seek function to jump in steps of 30 seconds and/or 10 minutes.
You can adjust these steps in the advacedsettings.xml to custom values:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml#.3Cvideo.3E

Re: ffwd & rwd problems - rikardo1979 - 13th Jan, 2013 04:21 AM

this is cos the XBMC
this should be partly fixed in new upcoming versions

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - julius02 - 13th Jan, 2013 06:36 AM

(13th Jan, 2013 04:20 AM)namtih Wrote:  XBMC and the firmware.
The "grey and blocky" screen is somehow corrected in on of the current XBMC or firmware versions. So I think it will be gone with one of the next released versions.

The other fact is that ffwd and rwd didn't really worked well in XBMC as far as I read it. In all posts I've read about this topic the last weeks all members suggested to use the seek function to jump in steps of 30 seconds and/or 10 minutes.
You can adjust these steps in the advacedsettings.xml to custom values:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml#.3Cvideo.3E

sorry to sound a bit thick, how do you go about doing this?
thanks.

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - namtih - 13th Jan, 2013 06:47 PM

Sorry, but I don't understand want you mean.
Can you please say it in other words and explain it a little bit more? I will see if I can help then :-)

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - julius02 - 13th Jan, 2013 08:15 PM

(13th Jan, 2013 06:47 PM)namtih Wrote:  Sorry, but I don't understand want you mean.
Can you please say it in other words and explain it a little bit more? I will see if I can help then :-)

How do I do this - change the fast forward and rewind times. Is that what you are suggesting to do?

Re: ffwd & rwd problems - rikardo1979 - 13th Jan, 2013 08:33 PM

no he suggest to set the times of step jumps,so when u use arrows on keyboard or up/down left/right keys on remote
default is set to 10min and 30 seconds

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - namtih - 13th Jan, 2013 10:43 PM

(13th Jan, 2013 08:15 PM)julius02 Wrote:  How do I do this - change the fast forward and rewind times. Is that what you are suggesting to do?

Fast forward and rewind doesn't work well in XBMC since several versions. Especially on the Raspberry as the hardware is limited. You can Google for "raspberry xbmc fast forward" for example if you want to read more about it.

So many users suggest to use the seek function instead. That means when you press left/right on the keyboard you will jump in 30seconds steps and with up/down in 10minutes steps.
You can adjust those steps in the advancedsettings.xml file if you prefer other time values:
/home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<video>
    <timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>
    <timeseekbackward>-30</timeseekbackward>
    <timeseekforwardbig>600</timeseekforwardbig>
    <timeseekbackwardbig>-600</timeseekbackwardbig>
</video>

Restart XBMC after made changes.

@xbian crew
Perhaps this settings/values are something for xbian-config Smile

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - raspberry_pd - 13th Jan, 2013 11:04 PM

This gray blocking is fixed with the latest raspberry pi firmware. If you want to try that fix, along with XBMC 12 RC3, follow Koennk's instructions here:

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-211.html

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - julius02 - 14th Jan, 2013 07:12 AM

(13th Jan, 2013 11:04 PM)raspberry_pd Wrote:  This gray blocking is fixed with the latest raspberry pi firmware. If you want to try that fix, along with XBMC 12 RC3, follow Koennk's instructions here:

brilliant, works much better, thanks.

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - raspberry_pd - 14th Jan, 2013 05:01 PM

Sweet, if you feel like I helped, could you "Click to thank!"? Would like to get my reputation up Smile

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - Rudy76 - 7th Feb, 2013 05:42 AM

Hi,

Is the ffwd & rwd issue still appearing in latest firmware/XBMC version? I just tried that and I only do see values being changed on the screen 2,4,8,16,32 (and backwards same) however the movie is just playing. I do have final version of Frodo installed, RaspBerry firmware is on version 365344 and XBian on 1.04a.

Thank you,
-= Rudy

Re: ffwd & rwd problems - rikardo1979 - 7th Feb, 2013 08:06 PM

will have to test tonight or tomorrow when I get the chance Wink

Re: ffwd & rwd problems - rikardo1979 - 9th Feb, 2013 01:27 AM

so just tested this and I have o say that this is still an issue as the FFWD/RWD still doesn't work, however this is not an XBian but XBMC related.
So I think we can just wait for update or if is here anyone with an idea or fix than we may help Wink

RE: ffwd & rwd problems - agent5150 - 19th Feb, 2013 05:17 AM

(13th Jan, 2013 11:04 PM)raspberry_pd Wrote:  This gray blocking is fixed with the latest raspberry pi firmware. If you want to try that fix, along with XBMC 12 RC3, follow Koennk's instructions here:

Sure the latest pi firmware and XBMC 12 removes the gray blockis with Fwd/Rwd. BUT... this has introduced a another problem. Audio/video starts to go out of sync ..specially on smb mounted media playback. Within few minutes it will be so bad that you will have to stop the movie are start again from the point you stopped for it to sync up. I reported this issue when this solution was posted in the above mentioned thread. It it still present in XBMC 12 final release. And I am pretty sure it will exist on Alpha 5.