Forum
Xbian USB install on Mac OSX - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Xbian USB install on Mac OSX (/thread-2521.html)

Xbian USB install on Mac OSX - northernmonkeyz - 15th Oct, 2014 08:47 PM

Hi,
I am a few months in using the Raspberry Pi and I so far have tried OpenElec and Raspbmc.
The above systems have been good as far as playback is concerned however I found that despite overclocking them, the menu loading (working) waits were quite long – sometimes taking 20 seconds to change to the next page.
This seems like a long time when I am trying to get to something 5 clicks in.
I am hoping that Xbian is faster in the menus?
I am not worried out boot times being slower just the menus and smooth playback.
My set up is –
RPI Model B
8gb SD card (class 10)
16gb USB 3.0 Sandisk Extreme stick
Raspberry Pi Power Supply, 5V, 1A
Can anyone tell me how I would go about installing using the USB stick on a Mac?
I am not too clever with coding etc so was hoping there was an install set up like in Raspbmc.
Thanks for reading!
Al

RE: Xbian USB install on Mac OSX - IriDium - 16th Oct, 2014 01:16 AM

Xbian to the rescue.

Just ssh into your RPi and run xbian-config. (It should load automatically unless you have disabled it). From the menu choose USB install (Option 7 I think) and run it from there. ** Make sure you specify the correct device **

Then just edit /boot/cmdline.txt (Make a copy first - cp cmdline.txt cmdline.txt.bak) and change /dev/mmcblk01 (or something like that) to /dev/sda1 (or whatever your USB stick shows up as). Reboot and you will be running off of the USB stick.

However, I doubt you will see much improvement - if any - as you are already using a class 10 SD card.

Also note the RPi does not recognise USB 3 so will only use USB 2

RE: Xbian USB install on Mac OSX - northernmonkeyz - 16th Oct, 2014 02:30 AM

(16th Oct, 2014 01:16 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Xbian to the rescue.

Just ssh into your RPi and run xbian-config. (It should load automatically unless you have disabled it). From the menu choose USB install (Option 7 I think) and run it from there. ** Make sure you specify the correct device **

Then just edit /boot/cmdline.txt (Make a copy first - cp cmdline.txt cmdline.txt.bak) and change /dev/mmcblk01 (or something like that) to /dev/sda1 (or whatever your USB stick shows up as). Reboot and you will be running off of the USB stick.

However, I doubt you will see much improvement - if any - as you are already using a class 10 SD card.

Also note the RPi does not recognise USB 3 so will only use USB 2

Awesome thanks!
I will try (try being the operative word) when I get home.
Do you think that the menus will run quicker than OE?