Forum
HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? (/thread-2595.html)

HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? - mwdowns - 8th Dec, 2014 06:52 PM

Hello all.

Recently tried updating to the latest RC for Xbian on my Pi, but when I tried playing a video file encoded for 5.1 sound, there was no audio. Files with 2.0 play fine, but anything for 5.1 is silent.

I went to settings and made sure the audio output was set up correctly (HDMI, 5.1), but nothing. Things work fine on the Beta 2 version of Xbian, but both RC versions have the "no 5.1 audio" problem. Was there something changed in the RC versions that might cause this?

RE: HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? - mk01 - 16th Dec, 2014 05:29 PM

can you try: remove guisettings.xml from /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata and start xbmc again ?

RE: HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? - mwdowns - 21st Dec, 2014 04:16 PM

Well, it is working now. But I have to leave the audio output at 2.0. Sound comes out fine that way, even stuff that's encoded for 5.1. And my speakers all play the sound OK. But if I change the audio output to 5.1, I'm back to the no sound problem. I guess, as the tool-tip says, I'll just leave it at 2.0 and let the receiver decode the passthrough output (I have my Pi hooked up to my TV by HDMI, then an optical cable going from my TV to my 5.1 receiver).

Thanks for the help!

RE: HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? - rikardo1979 - 23rd Dec, 2014 05:07 AM

so now after you described your setup it is obvious that your TV is not able to pass through 5.1 sound over SPDIF. so even the sound is coming out as 5.1 over HDMI form RPi than the TV is not able to pass it out. unfortunate but not much you can do

RE: HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? - IriDium - 23rd Dec, 2014 05:32 AM

Why not just go HDMI from the RPi to the AVR and then HDMI from the AVR to the TV?

It's what I use with no problems.

I once experienced a similar problem, but that was on a beta version for the cubox-i.

RE: HDMI Audio problem or codec problem? - rikardo1979 - 23rd Dec, 2014 05:50 AM

@IriDium
I belive there are people out there with receivers without HDMI connections so I believe this is one of the cases, otherwise it would not make any sense Wink