Forum
Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! (/thread-2614.html)

Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - FBK - 24th Dec, 2014 12:30 AM

Hey guys,

I'm running a fresh installation of 1.0 RC3 and have problems playing some recently added movies. I have the feeling that it has something to do with my audio output (2.0 HDMI) and the audio layers in these few movies (5.1 / 7.1 & A_DTS). However I have no knowledge of audio codecs and their ability of being played under xbian at all, so this is why I need your help!

Software
XBian version: 1.0RC3
XBMC version: 13.2
Overclock settings: default

Hardware
Power supply rating: /
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): B
SD card size and make/type: /
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN / static
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): TV, USB-HDD

Logile
Link to logfile(s):
xbmc.log
guisettings.xml
Video-Info-File

Problem description:
Whenever I play this movie (and some others) I don't receive any audio except for the a few milli seconds when I stop the movie. I am a total noob, if it comes to audio and video protocols/variants, so my main issue is finding out, which parameter(s) in these movie files cause my audio problems! Please help. You find my audio settings in the <audiooutput> arena of the guisettings-pastebin and the movie nfo.file in the Video-Info-File-pastebin obove. Probably wrong audio layer for my configuration?! Thanks for your help!

How to reproduce:
Just play movie. Recently added movies play without any audio.

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - IriDium - 4th Jan, 2015 02:18 AM

Looking at the video-info details, you are trying to play DTS-HD. I have never been able to play this kind of video. The RPi is not powerful enough to process this type of file.

Run "top" or "vmstat" and you should see the CPU at 100%.

However, if your TV has a DTS-HD decoder then set passthrough in SYSTEM -> SYSTEM -> Audio Output. This might help.

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - rikardo1979 - 4th Jan, 2015 02:29 AM

actually RPi can easily play DTS-HD. it simply take out and use good old DTS stream Wink

@FBK
you should set audio out to HDMI 2.0 and if your TV doesnt have DD and DTS decoder you have to turn OFF Enable passthrough cos otherwise RPi going to pass signal over HDMI and your TV would not be able to decode (I believe thats your issue)
So by turning OFF this you let RPi decode and downmix these and send out just simple 2.0 stereo over HDMI so your TV would be able to decode.

Let me know how it goes

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - IriDium - 4th Jan, 2015 02:38 AM

@rikardo1979 Good info - I never knew that.

Will give it a go.

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - rikardo1979 - 4th Jan, 2015 02:54 AM

(4th Jan, 2015 02:38 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @rikardo1979 Good info - I never knew that.

Will give it a go.

yeah, this is working with DTS-HD MA as it has simple DTS in. But unfortunately this doesnt apply to Dolby True HD which is new higher standard of old Dolby Digital, and thats cos there is no DD in it

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - Kevf - 12th Feb, 2015 07:12 PM

(4th Jan, 2015 02:18 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Looking at the video-info details, you are trying to play DTS-HD. I have never been able to play this kind of video. The RPi is not powerful enough to process this type of file.

However, if your TV has a DTS-HD decoder then set passthrough in SYSTEM -> SYSTEM -> Audio Output. This might help.

I don't have the option to select any form of passthrough in that menu. Am i missing something?

edit: I'm running XBIAN 1.0RC2 on a Raspberry Pi B.

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - rikardo1979 - 12th Feb, 2015 10:55 PM

(12th Feb, 2015 07:12 PM)Kevf Wrote:  
(4th Jan, 2015 02:18 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Looking at the video-info details, you are trying to play DTS-HD. I have never been able to play this kind of video. The RPi is not powerful enough to process this type of file.

I don't have the option to select any form of passthrough in that menu. Am i missing something?

edit: I'm running XBIAN 1.0RC2 on a Raspberry Pi B.
make sure you turn on the Advanced settings and have to be in Confluence skin

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - Kevf - 13th Feb, 2015 07:23 AM

Thank you! Got it. Is there a way to do passthrough for dts-hd also? Now I 'only' get DTS.

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - rikardo1979 - 13th Feb, 2015 07:30 AM

(13th Feb, 2015 07:23 AM)Kevf Wrote:  Thank you! Got it. Is there a way to do passthrough for dts-hd also? Now I 'only' get DTS.

please read http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2686-post-26968.html#pid26968

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - Kevf - 13th Feb, 2015 04:26 PM

(13th Feb, 2015 07:30 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  
(13th Feb, 2015 07:23 AM)Kevf Wrote:  Thank you! Got it. Is there a way to do passthrough for dts-hd also? Now I 'only' get DTS.

So the answer is 'no' I guess? I'm not really sure from reading the replies.

When I don't enable passthrough I get PCM, when I do I get DTS. Wouldn't PCM be better since it's lossles?

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - rikardo1979 - 13th Feb, 2015 05:30 PM

(13th Feb, 2015 04:26 PM)Kevf Wrote:  
(13th Feb, 2015 07:30 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  

So the answer is 'no' I guess? I'm not really sure from reading the replies.

When I don't enable passthrough I get PCM, when I do I get DTS. Wouldn't PCM be better since it's lossles?
you can not pass through HD formats on RPi /RPi 2

RE: Audio issue in recently added movies (5.1+) in 2.0 audio environment?! - menakite - 14th Feb, 2015 12:39 AM

DTS-HD MA includes a DTS (non-HD MA) core. Kodi (FFmpeg) extracts it from the DTS-HD MA track because (if I recall correctly) there's no open source decoder for DTS-HD MA, so that's why your AVR says "DTS".
While PCM is lossless, you can't get more quality than the original track (the DTS core), so passthrough is to be preferred as it lowers CPU usage. It should also be noted that some AVRs only support 2 channel PCM.