Forum
boot text - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: boot text (/thread-265.html)

Pages: 1 2

boot text - julius02 - 15th Jan, 2013 01:41 AM

Is there any way of hiding the boot text that appears on the left upon initial switch on. Ideally i would like a full screen raspberry logo instead of the text. Just makes it look more professional if it is going in a living room rather than a commodore 64 hooked up to the tv lol

RE: boot text - Koenkk - 15th Jan, 2013 02:13 AM

XBian 1.0 Alpha 5 will (probably) include a XBian boot splash screen. See https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/125

RE: boot text - namtih - 15th Jan, 2013 04:15 PM

Like stated in the link:
Quote:Please use a file on /boot/ to check if it should show verbose output.

Can you please add such function to xbian-config?

RE: boot text - julius02 - 15th Jan, 2013 07:35 PM

(15th Jan, 2013 04:15 PM)namtih Wrote:  Like stated in the link:
Quote:Please use a file on /boot/ to check if it should show verbose output.

Can you please add such function to xbian-config?

would be good if you could do this without having to wait for a software update.

RE: boot text - CurlyMo - 15th Jan, 2013 08:00 PM

You can just edit /boot/cmdline.txt to enable or disable the splash screen.

RE: boot text - julius02 - 15th Jan, 2013 08:03 PM

(15th Jan, 2013 08:00 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  You can just edit /boot/cmdline.txt to enable or disable the splash screen.

Just to confirm this isn't referring to the xbian splash logo?
I am talking about the text that appears on the left on first boot. I am trying to hide that.

RE: boot text - CurlyMo - 15th Jan, 2013 08:59 PM

Aha, just add:
Code:
logo.nologo
To the end of your /boot/cmdline.txt

RE: boot text - namtih - 16th Jan, 2013 04:49 PM

Do you also have the right command to store the debug start messages to a file?

RE: boot text - CurlyMo - 16th Jan, 2013 07:59 PM

@namtih, can you carify this a little bit?

RE: boot text - namtih - 17th Jan, 2013 12:09 AM

When the Raspberry/xbian is starting you see a debug log before the xbian logo is shown. I wasn't able to find those messages on the filesystem or dmesg. So I was wondering if it needs any boot parameter so that the log is written to a file on the filesystem.

RE: boot text - CurlyMo - 17th Jan, 2013 12:14 AM

Those messages should just be in your dmesg (/var/log/dmesg)

RE: boot text - raspberry_pd - 17th Jan, 2013 11:36 AM

(17th Jan, 2013 12:14 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Those messages should just be in your dmesg (/var/log/dmesg)
I have found that not all boot messages are saved in dmesg or syslog . In fact most error messages are not in dmesg. Hence I felt the need for a better solution and found bootlogd which I mentioned here:

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-182-post-1876.html#pid1876

I installed it and it works but there was a strange problem whereby the last third of characters on each line were obfuscated. If we can solve this buggy character issue, bootlogd might be the best way to trap boot errors and debug a whole bunch of problems.

(17th Jan, 2013 12:09 AM)namtih Wrote:  When the Raspberry/xbian is starting you see a debug log before the xbian logo is shown. I wasn't able to find those messages on the filesystem or dmesg. So I was wondering if it needs any boot parameter so that the log is written to a file on the filesystem.

Please try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install bootlogd

then add

Code:
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes

to

Code:
/etc/default/bootlogd

and reboot. Then see if ...

Code:
/var/log/boot

contains helpful boot messages.

I'd be very interested to read your results. Do you see the scrambled or obfuscated characters near the end of lines?

RE: boot text - CurlyMo - 17th Jan, 2013 11:42 AM

I've tried various solutions to properly screen boot messages (while developing the animated splash) but haven't found one that was satisfying. But indeed, bootlogd can help screen boot messages.

RE: boot text - raspberry_pd - 17th Jan, 2013 06:20 PM

What sort of animated splash did you have in mind Curlymo? I'd prefer something meaningful as well as attractive looking. Something that actually demonstrates how much of the boot process has completed, a progress indicator, would be ideal.

RE: boot text - CurlyMo - 17th Jan, 2013 08:10 PM

The splash is already done. Will be released with Alpha 5. And then, you will be one of the first people to see it Wink