Forum
[DONE] What happened to the linux installer - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [DONE] What happened to the linux installer (/thread-2651.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What happened to the linux installer - IriDium - 13th Jan, 2015 02:42 AM

I've just noticed that there is no longer a linux installer available. Is there a reason for this?

Whilst you might think all linux users are "au fait" with command line usage, a lot are not. With the hopeful demise of Windoze, a lot of users are moving to linux (albeit Ubuntu) as their main OS, so I feel we should offer this option - if it's possible.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 13th Jan, 2015 03:29 AM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/installers/ ?

RE: What happened to the linux installer - IriDium - 13th Jan, 2015 03:47 AM

Thanks - so why is it not on the Xbian download website as an option:

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 13th Jan, 2015 03:58 AM

OK, so if that installer is good as I believe it is if pointed by @CurlyMo, so I have edited the main page/Download and added the Linux installer link
Thanks @IriDium for mentioning
So I presume we can take it as done than, thread prefix edited

RE: What happened to the linux installer - menakite - 13th Jan, 2015 04:02 AM

Following SourceForge URL (and format) changes all installers needed rebuilding, but we had issues with the Linux one and so all mentions of it were removed.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 13th Jan, 2015 04:08 AM

OK, so now Im confused. should we keep it (all or which ever) or should it be removed?

RE: What happened to the linux installer - menakite - 13th Jan, 2015 04:14 AM

No, it's fine now. CurlyMo managed to rebuild it last month and we just forgot to add it again.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 13th Jan, 2015 04:24 AM

(13th Jan, 2015 04:14 AM)menakite Wrote:  No, it's fine now. CurlyMo managed to rebuild it last month and we just forgot to add it again.

OK, perfect thanks for quick reply and thanks to @CurlyMo and others who fixed things and all

RE: What happened to the linux installer - IriDium - 13th Jan, 2015 04:38 AM

If I remember correctly, the original installer was only for 64 bit. If this is still true, it needs to be mentioned on the download page. If not, then no problems.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 13th Jan, 2015 04:51 AM

so please. if someone can let me know if the info need to be edited etc

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 13th Jan, 2015 06:26 AM

I've tested it and it did not work (Mint 17.1 x64) :/
(Will try again later...)

so i've made it executable (chmod +x), used root to open it, the program found all the *.img.gz files under sourceforge "release" folder correctly and told me the right drive/sd to install.

I've chosend the last one "XBian_2014.12.15_rpi.img.gz" and the download was fine. After download it did not installed it correctly (or at all)... :/

But this was strange, this unmounted me all my drives and after was getting me an error: "QIODevice::write: device not open"

Terminal output:

P.S.: Also i was seeing the git source code, maybe to add an option to seek for the images on "Testing" on sourcefourge and i think the code has some errors for compiling.

I was getting this error (related to qt4/5 transition):
Quote:installer.h:4:19: fatal error: QDialog: No such file or directory
#include <QDialog>
^

To fix it, i had to change the file "xbian-installer.pro". This line:
Quote:QT += core gui xml network widgets
With this:
Quote:greaterThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 4): QT += widgets
QT += core gui xml network

Now i'm, getting other compiling problem,
Quote:/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
bit, i'm reading this is because of wrongly linked libs, so this is just probably me...
EDIT: The second error was just me, like i've said. linking libGL.so fixed it...

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 13th Jan, 2015 10:00 AM

Now that i can compile i'm seeing the program and founding some errors.

Should i report here or in git?

In the file "installer.cpp", line 264 is wrong:
Quote:imageFile.setFileName(qApp->applicationDirPath() + imageFileName);

It should be:
Quote:imageFile.setFileName(qApp->applicationDirPath() +'/'+ imageFileName);
EDIT: Also add " '/'+ " to the other two instances of "qApp->applicationDirPath() + ". Smile

At least in linux, without '/', the file instead of have the right next to installers folder, the name will have the folders name attached at the begging, and it will be located in the upper folder, instead of being next to installer. Wink

Also the previous line in "xbian-installer.pro" i've mentioned should be changed...

Other cool thing would be Adding the option to see "testing" images, for testing, i've just changed the variable "sourceForgeRSS" to show all, but would be nice to have a radio button to show testing, or testing images show red or something... it's not hard to do, and the installer would show more up to date packages.

P.S.: EDIT: The program works, but it unmounts all my hardrives which is very annoying.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 13th Jan, 2015 10:59 AM

Even better. What about maintaining the installer now and then Smile We currently have no-one who can.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 13th Jan, 2015 12:39 PM

(13th Jan, 2015 10:59 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Even better. What about maintaining the installer now and then Smile We currently have no-one who can.

-I never worked with QT, but i think i can have a better look for more bugs. (And see if the ones i called bugs are bugs in windows...).
-The unmounting of all inactive drivers is the major problem, it's odd and it's probably fixable, since the program detects the right drive to flash.
-Add a mechanism to show all from sourceforge, with a warning for imgs outside the "release" folder would be cool.
If i have the time i will try to do something about this 3 topics, and maybe post it on a git fork or something. Wink

P.S.: Off topic: I've tested the last testing img, it's still xbmc 13.2, when are you planing to release xbian with kodi? if it's unstable you could release one in testing so people could use it from a fresh installation knowing the risk :v

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 13th Jan, 2015 04:18 PM

(13th Jan, 2015 12:39 PM)calhaus Wrote:  
(13th Jan, 2015 10:59 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Even better. What about maintaining the installer now and then Smile We currently have no-one who can.

-I never worked with QT, but i think i can have a better look for more bugs. (And see if the ones i called bugs are bugs in windows...).
-The unmounting of all inactive drivers is the major problem, it's odd and it's probably fixable, since the program detects the right drive to flash.
-Add a mechanism to show all from sourceforge, with a warning for imgs outside the "release" folder would be cool.
If i have the time i will try to do something about this 3 topics, and maybe post it on a git fork or something. Wink

P.S.: Off topic: I've tested the last testing img, it's still xbmc 13.2, when are you planing to release xbian with kodi? if it's unstable you could release one in testing so people could use it from a fresh installation knowing the risk :v
regarding your last question, please follow http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2630.html