Forum
[DONE] What happened to the linux installer - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [DONE] What happened to the linux installer (/thread-2651.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 13th Jan, 2015 07:12 PM

@calhaus, can i give you acces on github to the installer repository?

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 14th Jan, 2015 12:03 PM

(13th Jan, 2015 07:12 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  @calhaus, can i give you acces on github to the installer repository?

Yes you can.

Btw today i learned a bit of QT, and added a few things to the installer Smile

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 16th Jan, 2015 04:56 AM

@CurlyMo

Hi, so since last talk:
-I've added a intro menu with an option to show Release or Testing packages from sourceforge.
So in the future the app could be up to date also with testing releases (and people can use both).

Just be careful posting the packages in *gz. Most of them in sourceforge are in that format, but i saw some in Testing in *xz, and in Archive all the files are in *7z. I haven't seen how the program is decompressing the files yet, but i know its looking for files with names ending in "*img.gz", so i didn't add Archives to the installer and *xz files wont show up for now;
-Fixed one or two small bugs;
-And fixed the linux part that was unmounting every single drive instead of the chosen one.

I haven't yet updated git because i'll try to cross-compile it to 32bit and for M$ Windows. (Also i can't test the mac version for bugs...)

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 16th Jan, 2015 05:08 AM

Great, the newly compiled images will all be gzip compressed and uploaded to releases. So i don't think the intro menu is necessary. Rather create a noobproof selection for Hummingboard / CuBox-i and Raspberry Pi.

There will also be a XBian_Latest_rpi.img.gz or XBian_Latest_imx6.img.gz that will symlink to the latest available version.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 16th Jan, 2015 09:57 AM

(16th Jan, 2015 05:08 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Great, the newly compiled images will all be gzip compressed and uploaded to releases. So i don't think the intro menu is necessary. Rather create a noobproof selection for Hummingboard / CuBox-i and Raspberry Pi.

There will also be a XBian_Latest_rpi.img.gz or XBian_Latest_imx6.img.gz that will symlink to the latest available version.

Yes, i can probably do that.

I was doing a search like before, for folders in sourceforge. Maybe it's easier if you put different platform releases in different folders. Dunno, or maybe i can try to filter for words in the file (and to put "Latest" in first selected file).

P.S.: It was the first time i was using github to edit/add files, and forgot to tell what i was changing. Anyway one of the makefiles still needs to be changed/updated, delete some comments (with thoughts/old commands) and update to the changes you've asked, so i will do that eventually and maybe add a changelog.
Sorry i haven't done that in the first place, just give me time, it's free work and i don't have that much free time. Tongue

P.S.2: I could not cross-compile the installer for 32bits yet, and haven't tried for Mac. But here are the executables for Linux 64bits and windows: http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/b2c5pD5N/file.html

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 19th Jan, 2015 11:06 AM

Updated the installer to version 1.2.

Principal changes:
-Replaced the option to choose between Testing and Release images with a "noobproof selection for Hummingboard / CuBox-i and Raspberry Pi." Wink
-Fixed unmount bug in Linux.

Full changelog to version 1.2:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-installer-universal/commit/c4e85fe4a8969964f5e51245ce5f38e2802dc205
(^After learning a bit of QT, now i've learned git and git terminal commands, XBian is making me learn things i wanted to previously but didn't had the motivation. Smile )

Linux 64bit + Windows executables:
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/i2VPGNBN/file.html

---------------------------------------------------------------
From this thread: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2406.html
@rlogiacco I'm using mint 17.1 64bit (based on Ubuntu 14.04) and the installer works fine. Can you try this version. Use the executable from above, if it still not working try compiling it from git. Tell if that worked or not.

@Chartre I'm sorry the executable is for 64bit version. Still wasn't able to compile it for 32bit (i didn't search much yet tho). For now you probably can use dd to install the image and gparted after to resize/allocate the unused space. (<- there are probably better solutions, just reminded this one now)

RE: What happened to the linux installer - f1vefour - 19th Jan, 2015 12:09 PM

Great work @calhaus!

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 19th Jan, 2015 06:21 PM

New installers will be sync with sourceforge tonight. Good job!

And we welcome calhaus! Curious to see what amazing things you can do next, if you already managed to learn this much in this short timespan Smile

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 19th Jan, 2015 07:15 PM

@calhaus nice one m8. just wondering if you would be interested in maintaining all of the installers if you could?

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 20th Jan, 2015 01:51 AM

(19th Jan, 2015 07:15 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  @calhaus nice one m8. just wondering if you would be interested in maintaining all of the installers if you could?

Yes, that's the next thing i will investigate. Specially about cross compiling for osx.

Anyway, windows is easy to test with vmware, but i don't have a mac to test osx. So it would be nice if some could test the installer and maybe compile for now for that platform.

P.S.: Who was the person that compiled the previous version of osx? Did he compiled it in osx, or in other OS? Can he compile this version? Smile

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 20th Jan, 2015 01:59 AM

It was compiled in OSx by @Koenkk, but he quit. @mk01 runs on OSx as well.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - IriDium - 20th Jan, 2015 03:03 AM

I'll give it a go on a Ubuntu 64 machine and see what I get. I have an OSX machine but alas it's a PPC machine, so probably no use.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - IriDium - 21st Jan, 2015 01:10 AM

Ok, am I missing something here. I downloaded the installer - unzipped it.
For some reason Ubuntu thinks it's a 'par' file :-)

Checking in terminal shows that it's not executable. Changing it tp +x and running it gives:
bash: ./XBian-installer: Permission denied
Running as root gives
sudo: unable to execute ./XBian-installer: Permission denied

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 21st Jan, 2015 04:36 AM

(21st Jan, 2015 01:10 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Ok, am I missing something here. I downloaded the installer - unzipped it.
For some reason Ubuntu thinks it's a 'par' file :-)

Checking in terminal shows that it's not executable. Changing it tp +x and running it gives:
bash: ./XBian-installer: Permission denied
Running as root gives
sudo: unable to execute ./XBian-installer: Permission denied

@IriDium that's very strange. And because others where having problems, i've installed a clean ubuntu 14.04 x64 on vmware to test if it could be because i had something different on my system like dependencies and because i don't think i'm compiling it statically for linux.

And for a clean ubuntu everything worked fine!
-I've downloaded from last link i've posted.
-It was already execulable, so no need to use chmod.
-runned: sudo ./XBian-installer
and everything worked fine, downloads, usb write, and the warning if you don't run it as sudo.

Try download it again (http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/i2VPGNBN/file.html )
and run on therminal:
sudo ./XBian-installer

or

sudo su
./XBian-installer

That is very strange. Use "chmod +x XBian-installer" if it's not detecting the file as executable. Tell me if you still got that problem.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - IriDium - 21st Jan, 2015 05:15 AM

@calhaus Ok thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. BTW it's Ubuntu 14.10 64bit if that should make a difference.

I think the installer should include a read.me or install.txt file to explain what is required as it is not obvious.