Forum
[DONE] What happened to the linux installer - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [DONE] What happened to the linux installer (/thread-2651.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 21st Jan, 2015 05:28 AM

can not run it on elementaryOS I have on mine. going to fresh install latest Ubuntu and will report back

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 21st Jan, 2015 07:26 AM

fresh installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 64bit

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 21st Jan, 2015 11:45 AM

(21st Jan, 2015 05:15 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @calhaus Ok thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. BTW it's Ubuntu 14.10 64bit if that should make a difference.

I think the installer should include a read.me or install.txt file to explain what is required as it is not obvious.

Opened it on 14.10 64bit. And it opened just fine. So no problems there also.
Yes, i will add an README file after.

(21st Jan, 2015 05:28 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  can not run it on elementaryOS I have on mine. going to fresh install latest Ubuntu and will report back

Tried elementaryOS, yes it needs some QT libraries to be installed, "libQt5Widgets.so.5" to be precise.

I'm downloading QT5 source code, and will try to make a static version of qt and after of the installer, so you and others don't have to have to worry about missing libraries. Smile

(21st Jan, 2015 07:26 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  fresh installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 64bit

Looks fine! The program opened. Like it says, you have to open it with root privileges.
Open a terminal and type:
sudo ./XBian-installer

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 21st Jan, 2015 04:07 PM

@calhaus
can confirm that by running as root it does work fine. this was all just cos you are need to make it "idiot" prove Big Grin
so as mentioned, a little README.txt would be handy Wink

also, but this is just stupid thing, an XBian icon would be nice as as you can see the there is none on app/running app Wink

thanks

RE: What happened to the linux installer - IriDium - 21st Jan, 2015 07:55 PM

Ok, that seems to work. Nice job.

My earlier "Permission denied" was probably caused by my second HDD not mounted in fstab with exec permissions. Onced changed all was fine.

Not too sure why there is XBian-installer.exe included as this is for Linux but......

Also it appears to hang at 100% but alas it seems to be doing something in the background

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 21st Jan, 2015 08:00 PM

What about implementing a some sort of C++ "gsudo" call inside the installer so it will ask for root permission itself?

RE: What happened to the linux installer - menakite - 22nd Jan, 2015 01:15 AM

The OS X installer does that, so it'd be nice to have the same on Linux.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 22nd Jan, 2015 02:47 AM

(21st Jan, 2015 04:07 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  @calhaus
can confirm that by running as root it does work fine. this was all just cos you are need to make it "idiot" prove Big Grin

also, but this is just stupid thing, an XBian icon would be nice as as you can see the there is none on app/running app Wink

thanks

The icon, i've looked and works different for different environments like kde or gnome. I believe the only trick is to include it next with executable (which i'll do, with that readme also).

(21st Jan, 2015 08:00 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  What about implementing a some sort of C++ "gsudo" call inside the installer so it will ask for root permission itself?
You're probably taking about gksudo. I thought of that but not all systems have gksu! Mint for example has it preinstalled. But Ubuntu stopped including it in the new releases (i think they have a nautilus-sudo or something like that)... and so on.

Other stuff:
I've managed to compile statically the installer for linux, so qt libraries are included. But tested it on elementary, and elementary now needs other libs... :/ Will see that next.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - rikardo1979 - 22nd Jan, 2015 04:07 AM

(22nd Jan, 2015 02:47 AM)calhaus Wrote:  
(21st Jan, 2015 04:07 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  @calhaus

thanks

The icon, i've looked and works different for different environments like kde or gnome. I believe the only trick is to include it next with executable (which i'll do, with that readme also).

(21st Jan, 2015 08:00 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  What about implementing a some sort of C++ "gsudo" call inside the installer so it will ask for root permission itself?
You're probably taking about gksudo. I thought of that but not all systems have gksu! Mint for example has it preinstalled. But Ubuntu stopped including it in the new releases (i think they have a nautilus-sudo or something like that)... and so on.

Other stuff:
I've managed to compile statically the installer for linux, so qt libraries are included. But tested it on elementary, and elementary now needs other libs... :/ Will see that next.

i would leave it, not many people use that OS, its not so popular. i would say, focus for most common like Ubuntu, Mint, etc..if there would be an issue in any other than user could report individually

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 22nd Jan, 2015 04:13 AM

I didn't mean actually doing the gksudo call, but include some sort of C++ login that calls some sudo routine.
http://qt-project.org/wiki/How_to_get_applications_running_with_root_privileges
In windows you should use this:

manifest.rc
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <trustInfo xmlns:v3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="highestAvailable"/>
      </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
  </trustInfo>
</assembly>

The manifest needs to be compiled like this:
Code:
windres -o manifest.o manifest.rc

Then add the manifest.o to the other files in gcc:
Code:
gcc ... foo.c bar.c manifest.o

@rikardo1979, as soon as the installer is properly staticly installed it should work on all linux platforms.
@calhaus, what libs?

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 22nd Jan, 2015 04:57 AM

(22nd Jan, 2015 04:13 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  I didn't mean actually doing the gksudo call, but include some sort of C++ login that calls some sudo routine.
http://qt-project.org/wiki/How_to_get_applications_running_with_root_privileges
In windows you should use this:

manifest.rc
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <trustInfo xmlns:v3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="highestAvailable"/>
      </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
  </trustInfo>
</assembly>

The manifest needs to be compiled like this:
Code:
windres -o manifest.o manifest.rc

Then add the manifest.o to the other files in gcc:
Code:
gcc ... foo.c bar.c manifest.o

@rikardo1979, as soon as the installer is properly staticly installed it should work on all linux platforms.
@calhaus, what libs?

This libs:
None of them are QT related i believe.
I'll see if i can include them in the compiler. (No luck so far)

EDIT:
Any ideas on this?
I've used qtmake from a static qt to compile, and the qt libs are included, but the other ones aren't, (also included "CONFIG += static" on xbian-installer.pro but this dont change nothing because i'm already using static qt libs)...

P.S.: What i 've tried, was with a script get all the libs reported by ldd, and with other script call them while opening the executable but i get inconsistency errors (on elementaryOS) probably because some libs are repeated... So this is not a solution.

------------
The sudo thing, havent looked at it yet.
For windows that is not needed, at least i've executed it and everything worked fine, in linux you need it to have access to drives.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 22nd Jan, 2015 05:13 AM

If you still have these libs needed, than staticly compiling didn't work well.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 22nd Jan, 2015 05:29 AM

(22nd Jan, 2015 05:13 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  If you still have these libs needed, than staticly compiling didn't work well.

The qt part did. Now i don't have any qt lib needed. And the executable went from 1.6MB to 20MB. Dunno

RE: What happened to the linux installer - CurlyMo - 22nd Jan, 2015 05:43 AM

Can you update github so i can staticly compile the installer as well. Then i can help you with the rest.

RE: What happened to the linux installer - calhaus - 22nd Jan, 2015 06:25 AM

(22nd Jan, 2015 05:43 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Can you update github so i can staticly compile the installer as well. Then i can help you with the rest.

I haven't change nothing in the program. (Only tried adding "CONFIG += static" to *.pro file but that does nothing)
You need to have a static Qt.
Then open a terminal and go to the folder where you have your installer files and do this:
Quote:make clean
PATH=/path/to/static/Qt/bin:$PATH
export PATH
qmake -config release
make

"/path/to/static/Qt/bin" is your path to your static qt
qmake generates a makefile with the settings.

If you dont have a static qt:
http://www.qtcentre.org/wiki/index.php?title=Building_static_Qt_on_Linux
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-deployment.html#static-linking

^Don't use just static in configure, because it will take hours. Use something like:
./configure -static -nomake examples -nomake tools -prefix /path/to/static/Qt/bin

Hope you got lucky.
Use at the end to see if your installer sill need libs or not:
ldd ./XBian-installer

EDIT:
Added in the xbian-installer.pro to the unix part this:
QMAKE_LFLAGS = -static -static-libgcc

but i'm getting glibc problems