Forum
Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Upgrade --> No boot anymore (/thread-2685.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 1st Feb, 2015 10:16 PM

Software
XBian version: 1.0 RC3
XBMC/Kodi version: 13
Overclock settings: Xbian default (840 or something like this)

Hardware
Device type and model : Raspberry Pi Model B+
Power supply rating: 5V - 2A
SD card size and make/type: Sandisk Extreme Plus 16 GB
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet and Wifi usb dongle
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): : TV (HDMI), Wifi dongle (USB), External HD (USB)

Log files
Link to logfile(s): No log

Problem description:
Yesterday i upgrade my Xbian by xbian-config (SSH connected) and after coming back a few hours later i saw upgrading was blocked in upgrading locales.
As i cannot stop upgrading or connect to the RPi with another SSH connection i disconnected the power supply and reconnected it.
Since the RPi do not boot anymore. I have the red light on but the green light blink twice and stop. The TV displays just a black screen without any thing writtent.
I followed this help : http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Red_power_LED_is_on.2C_green_LED_does_not_flash.2C_nothing_on​_display
I downloaded the bootcode.bin and with this bootcode the green light is on without blinking but on the screen is worst since i have a black screen for 1 second and then no more stream is received by the TV... Of course even with no screen the RPi doesn't boot and i cannot connect to it in SSH.

Since i have no backup and i don't want to reinstall xbian et lose all my configuration (xbmc, sickbeard, couchpotato,...) i would like to save my Xbian with your help please.

How to reproduce:
Be unlucky ?

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 2nd Feb, 2015 12:42 AM

I backuped the boot partition (the only i can see on my Mac) and i replaced the content of this partition by the content of a raspbian boot folder found here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/84r95jovi4rlv64/raspbian-boot-folder.zip

The RPi starts booting but something is wrong and the boot didn't end.

So i replaced the cmdline.txt from the raspbian boot folder on the sd card by the cmdline.default file (renamed of course) from my backup and i have the same problem (no boot and black screen).

Here is my cmdline.default file content :
Code:
telnet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 sdhci-bcm2708.sync_after_dma=0 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,thread_pool=2,autodefrag,compress=lzo,commit=120 rootfstype=btrfs rootwait smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N logo.nologo quiet noswap loglevel=0 mod_scsi.scan=sync partswap startevent=mountall splash nohdparm --startup-event mountall

Can someone show me the content of his functionnal cmdline.txt file content plz ?

This time i put back my boot folder backup on the sd card and i added two options in cmdline.txt file : debug rescue

I have finally something on the screen and i can see a error : Kernel panic - not syncing : no working init found.
I put a printscreen of the message in attachment of this message.

Do you no what is happening and how to fix this ?

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 2nd Feb, 2015 02:20 AM

I tried another thing : i installed the xbian on a new SD card (32 MB) and i copied all the boot partition content on my problematic sd card and added "debug rescue" options into cmdline.txt file.
The boot starts but another Kernel panic appeard : Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!
The printscreen is attached to this message.

Still no idea ?

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2015 02:59 AM

not sure what and how did you upgrade, but seems you have messed so much with mixing systems Raspbian/XBian and who knows what, so I would say you have one big mess in it.
In this stage, it would be much easier if you just clean install and start fresh.
Just my suggestion.
You can save a lot of time and frustration

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 2nd Feb, 2015 03:04 AM

Thanks for the answer but i didn't mix.
Now i have a boot partition copied from a new fresh install of xbian.
I upgraded connected in SSH and by using xbian-config.

I can effectively start again from scratch but if i did i won't use xbian again cause i won't be sure to be able to upgrade it safely anymore...
So before giving up i would like to save at least my data and all the configuration files.

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - rikardo1979 - 2nd Feb, 2015 03:09 AM

sure
cant say what have you done wrong cos there should not be any issue with upgrading. I have done my just yesterday and no probs at all. so there is no problem for sure. only when user do something wrong.
maybe our devs or other users can help

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 2nd Feb, 2015 03:13 AM

I down't know how i would have done wrong since i used xbian-config console.
Last time i had a problem with xbian too was when i did a dist-upgrade manually. It's why i use xbian-config since.

The Kernel panic message doesn't help to see where the problem is ?

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - f1vefour - 2nd Feb, 2015 04:15 PM

No other distribution can use the btrfs filesystem Xbian uses so you can't add the kernel from a different distribution and have it boot, the root file system won't be able to mount.

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 2nd Feb, 2015 06:00 PM

I don't want to swap /boot i wan't to fix my xbian and be able to start it.

If it's not possible i want at least be able to access my btrfs partition to backup some config file in order to not reinstall everything and reconfigure it...

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - f1vefour - 2nd Feb, 2015 06:09 PM

That's what I'm saying, Xbian is using a non-standard version of btrfs that no Linux distribution can mount (that I know of).

Someone posted /boot from Xbian, hopefully you can replace the files in /boot with them and get your system to boot into the recovery console. I will search the forum and try to provide a link.

Here: http://forum.xbian.org/showthread.php?pid=26308#pid26308

Replace the files with these and let me know what happens.

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 2nd Feb, 2015 06:33 PM

Thanks. I'll try it tonight after work Wink

But just to be sure, i have already install the original /boot as i mentioned it here : http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2685-post-26541.html#pid26541
I've posted the message returned too.

But i don't know if it's the same /boot so i'll try it to be sure ^^

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - CurlyMo - 2nd Feb, 2015 07:31 PM

Here you go:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/testing/

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - f1vefour - 2nd Feb, 2015 07:43 PM

I missed that part @Diako, I doubt it will work but I would still give it a try.

@CurlyMo What do you think is causing the kernel panic?

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - CurlyMo - 2nd Feb, 2015 08:04 PM

Mixing of firmware and kernel versions.

RE: Upgrade --> No boot anymore - Diako - 2nd Feb, 2015 08:26 PM

(2nd Feb, 2015 07:31 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Here you go:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/testing/

Thanks.
I just extract the content of recovery-files-boot-RPI-3.15.y.tar.gz in my /boot partition ?