Forum
RPi 2 Quad core. - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: XBian news (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: RPi 2 Quad core. (/thread-2686.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - igorkulman - 8th Feb, 2015 08:40 PM

(8th Feb, 2015 08:19 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  
(8th Feb, 2015 03:55 AM)igorkulman Wrote:  My RPi 2 went down, showing a kernel panic message on the screen. Never happend on RPi B. Is there any way I can get some kind of log from somewhere and report it?
Pastebin /proc/last_kmesg

What is your power supply rating?

I use a 5V/2A power supply that I bought with RPi B and never had any problems using it with RPi B.

There is no /proc/last_kmesg:

cat: /proc/last_kmesg: No such file or directory

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - rikardo1979 - 9th Feb, 2015 12:23 AM

looks like this new RPi2 is going to be pain in ass Smile
Today I have spent another £40 for new 16GB Micro SD card+2.4A solid PSU.
still no joy ...damn

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - Dave400 - 9th Feb, 2015 12:54 AM

My old iPad charger, Nokia CA101 and sanDisk 32GB Micro SD card is working pretty well from a fresh image, it only falls over if I try and restore a backup from my old pi.

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - rikardo1979 - 9th Feb, 2015 01:01 AM

(9th Feb, 2015 12:54 AM)Dave400 Wrote:  My old iPad charger, Nokia CA101 and sanDisk 32GB Micro SD card is working pretty well from a fresh image, it only falls over if I try and restore a backup from my old pi.

lucky you Dave
I have decent 2.1A Maplin charger. works perfect with all RPis which I have. Also 4GB class 10 MicroSD card SanDisk
no joy
so I bought another 2.4A PSU Maplin and 16GB UHS-I Samsung Micro SD and the damn thing wont boot
will play with it later as Im pretty busy in kitchen atm Big Grin

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - rikardo1979 - 9th Feb, 2015 05:52 AM

all good.
problem solved here. issue wasnt in RPi but rather in my Ubuntu machine which screwed sd card every time
shame on me

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - Vader - 9th Feb, 2015 09:48 PM

Stupid question, guys:
I'm on XBian 20150207-0 with my "old" Raspberry B. Can I just copy the SD Image from my old one to the new Raspberry 2 and join the testing party or is the image @CurlyMo posted in this thread done from a special dev branch?
Some packages ( xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-xbmc ) are held back on 20150207-0 build as well and I don't know if the updates are required for Raspberry 2.
Sorry for being lazy and asking before copying around images Angel

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - IriDium - 9th Feb, 2015 10:35 PM

Just tried a few things and all seems well.

Installed from the latest via linux installer.

I tried 2 x 2amp PSU and still got the dreaded rainbow everynow and again. So I'm not conviced it is correct

I tried the same configured SD card in a Model B and it failed to boot. (Not surprisingly).

I've set the arm, core and sdram (I.e commented out the default) to defaults and all seems fine ~ 200s sysbench mark

I tried core and sdram @ 500 but didn't see any real improvment.

I've set gpu_mem_1024=320 and that seems fine.

Only real thing I have noticed is that the menu item names are missing from xbian-config in Kodi.

Had to change my log display to /home/xbian.kodi/temp/kodi.log but no big deal.

External 500ma HDD still required a powered hub, so don't believe the 1.2amp USB hype.

It does get hot when run on full power 65 degrees but a fan brought it down to 45 degrees.

So all in all, a good piece of work by the development team.

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - rikardo1979 - 9th Feb, 2015 10:56 PM

I've got under power detection with 2.4A PSU too so more likely it's wrong
I have tried changing setting in config but always ended with black screen no video out when tried played videos, no matter of file type

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - IriDium - 9th Feb, 2015 11:21 PM

This is my config.txt - I can play movies quite happily, even with the rainbow of death. I'm going to try a 3.7amp PSU and if that doesn't work!!!!

#initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1000000
gpu_mem_1024=320
initial_turbo=3
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1

I've done some checking and the rainbow box only came on when the amps were greater than 500ma. Which got me wondering.

As most leads are designed for the normal 500ma phones, etc, I have a feeling it is the leads being used and not the PSU.

Having switched to a 1amp PSU and a much thinker cable, the rainbow screen has not reappeared.

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - rikardo1979 - 10th Feb, 2015 01:09 AM

yup
o have tried usb lead from kindle and the voltage dropped more than 0.3V, not sure about current

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - Exnor - 10th Feb, 2015 02:07 AM

"Only real thing I have noticed is that the menu item names are missing from xbian-config in Kodi."

Lol thats funny because after the latest update on my Pi model 1 B that happened too... i just assumed it was something on the WIP part.

(9th Feb, 2015 11:21 PM)IriDium Wrote:  This is my config.txt - I can play movies quite happily, even with the rainbow of death. I'm going to try a 3.7amp PSU and if that doesn't work!!!!

#initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1000000
gpu_mem_1024=320
initial_turbo=3
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1

I've done some checking and the rainbow box only came on when the amps were greater than 500ma. Which got me wondering.

As most leads are designed for the normal 500ma phones, etc, I have a feeling it is the leads being used and not the PSU.

Having switched to a 1amp PSU and a much thinker cable, the rainbow screen has not reappeared.

Well i still do not have my model 2... but how much juice does it require with zero usb devices plugged in? I'm using a 2.1 Amp PSU for my Pi's model 1 B's and i hope i can use it for the model 2...

(9th Feb, 2015 10:35 PM)IriDium Wrote:  It does get hot when run on full power 65 degrees but a fan brought it down to 45 degrees.

What is the maximum temperature this Soc can handle without damage? The old one was about 75~80º C right?

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - menakite - 10th Feb, 2015 02:36 AM

(10th Feb, 2015 02:07 AM)Exnor Wrote:  What is the maximum temperature this Soc can handle without damage? The old one was about 75~80º C right?
There's no report of any damage caused by too high a SoC temperature, so it seems really hard to reach it.

The safe limit is 85C for all models, after which overclock is disabled automatically.

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - Exnor - 10th Feb, 2015 03:19 AM

(10th Feb, 2015 02:36 AM)menakite Wrote:  
(10th Feb, 2015 02:07 AM)Exnor Wrote:  What is the maximum temperature this Soc can handle without damage? The old one was about 75~80º C right?
There's no report of any damage caused by too high a SoC temperature, so it seems really hard to reach it.

The safe limit is 85C for all models, after which overclock is disabled automatically.

Smile thks for the info. i did not knew that the SoC had termal safeguards built in.

RE: RPi 2 Quad core. - rikardo1979 - 10th Feb, 2015 05:18 AM

(9th Feb, 2015 10:35 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Just tried a few things and all seems well.

Installed from the latest via linux installer.

I tried 2 x 2amp PSU and still got the dreaded rainbow everynow and again. So I'm not conviced it is correct

I tried the same configured SD card in a Model B and it failed to boot. (Not surprisingly).

I've set the arm, core and sdram (I.e commented out the default) to defaults and all seems fine ~ 200s sysbench mark

I tried core and sdram @ 500 but didn't see any real improvment.

I've set gpu_mem_1024=320 and that seems fine.

Only real thing I have noticed is that the menu item names are missing from xbian-config in Kodi.

Had to change my log display to /home/xbian.kodi/temp/kodi.log but no big deal.

External 500ma HDD still required a powered hub, so don't believe the 1.2amp USB hype.

It does get hot when run on full power 65 degrees but a fan brought it down to 45 degrees.

So all in all, a good piece of work by the development team.
any chance you post your working config settings here please?
Thanks

RPi 2 Quad core. - IriDium - 10th Feb, 2015 07:51 AM

According to the BBC the RPi2 will reboot if you take a flash picture of it Cool Will save a lot of time if true