Forum
[IDEA] Raspberry Pi 2 and H.265/HEVC? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [IDEA] Raspberry Pi 2 and H.265/HEVC? (/thread-2691.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Raspberry Pi 2 and H.265/HEVC? - rikardo1979 - 8th Feb, 2015 03:57 AM

OK, make lets myself clear

1st of all, this is my personal opinion and it have nothing to do with XBian
2nd, I am not saying that H.265 is bad.Its great to have something new

But my point is that for me is always and always was about quality over quantity, and it will remain like that for rest of my life!
So for me is to have full fat HD 1080p with DTS sound as a minimum. If Raspberry cant not do this I do not ever use it for this purpose, simple as that.

And as I do not see this as something what can be achieved on this hardware, means play full sized movie in such quality or higher in this codec means I do not ever going to reach for it.

So yet again, this is great, and lets hope it will work at some point in what ever quality as some users may find it useful!

Just not me, as I rather prefer to stay on big files reaching 20+GB in size just to keep video and audio quality I demanding Wink

RE: Raspberry Pi 2 and H.265/HEVC? - Exnor - 8th Feb, 2015 04:34 AM

(8th Feb, 2015 03:57 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  OK, make lets myself clear

But my point is that for me is always and always was about quality over quantity, and it will remain like that for rest of my life!
So for me is to have full fat HD 1080p with DTS sound as a minimum. If Raspberry cant not do this I do not ever use it for this purpose, simple as that.

And as I do not see this as something what can be achieved on this hardware, means play full sized movie in such quality or higher in this codec means I do not ever going to reach for it.

So yet again, this is great, and lets hope it will work at some point in what ever quality as some users may find it useful!

Just not me, as I rather prefer to stay on big files reaching 20+GB in size just to keep video and audio quality I demanding Wink

I agree with you mate.

H.265 is great but in the end i want quality no matter the size of the file. If the file is smaller (using whatever compression methods) but retains the quality better, if not then give me the bigger one.

I use a model 1 Pi OC @ 1Ghz (or the max on the list of OC options) and is able to play a 25Mbit/s BDrip of a movie (h.264 not 265) with DTS 5.1 (although the DTS is passthrough to my amplifier) and i'm pretty happy with it.
The model 2 is a very welcome machine, and in time it might even get to handle soft decoding of less demanding HEVC files...

RE: Raspberry Pi 2 and H.265/HEVC? - rikardo1979 - 8th Feb, 2015 04:50 AM

(8th Feb, 2015 04:34 AM)Exnor Wrote:  

I agree with you mate.

H.265 is great but in the end i want quality no matter the size of the file. If the file is smaller (using whatever compression methods) but retains the quality better, if not then give me the bigger one.

I use a model 1 Pi OC @ 1Ghz (or the max on the list of OC options) and is able to play a 25Mbit/s BDrip of a movie (h.264 not 265) with DTS 5.1 (although the DTS is passthrough to my amplifier) and i'm pretty happy with it.
The model 2 is a very welcome machine, and in time it might even get to handle soft decoding of less demanding HEVC files...

you get a new TV didnt you Wink remember you post here in other thread Wink
nice to see people who is looking for quality things

RE: Raspberry Pi 2 and H.265/HEVC? - Exnor - 8th Feb, 2015 04:56 AM

(8th Feb, 2015 03:48 AM)Mirek Kucharski Wrote:  Of course, you're right, but for now its Kodi, not XBMC Wink I'm looking forward to the release Kodi with HEVC HW decoding, hevc is incredible, on other players I can play small hevc_720p files even on old APU E350 , Kodi unfortunately, can not Sad
I am disappointed that Pi2 can't play x265 Huh this is a big flaw.

I'm sorry but you are missing the Pi model 2 point! This computer was not designed to be a HTPC in the 1st place!
It a learning platform not a device to accommodate your desires for a cheap method to play your movies rips!

There is no "flaw" on the Pi 2. Want a better HTPC? Go and buy one.

(8th Feb, 2015 04:50 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  
(8th Feb, 2015 04:34 AM)Exnor Wrote:  

I agree with you mate.

you get a new TV didnt you Wink remember you post here in other thread Wink
nice to see people who is looking for quality things

Wink thks. Also for the price its a great TV.

RE: Raspberry Pi 2 and H.265/HEVC? - syco - 8th Feb, 2015 08:09 AM

(8th Feb, 2015 03:57 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  1st of all, this is my personal opinion and it have nothing to do with XBian

I am really happy to read that, I must admit.