Forum
[PROBLEM] Direct Access to Pi - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Direct Access to Pi (/thread-2699.html)

Direct Access to Pi - syco - 5th Feb, 2015 08:26 PM

Hi guys,

I have a maybe stupid question, but I can not find
the solution right now.

I want to access the Pi's directories in Windows, but
not bei SSH/Putty. So, I want to reach the file structure
of the Pi. Like seeing files in the Explorer view.

Before an update some weeks ago, that was easily
possible. I just had to click on "Xbian-Beamer" in my
network list and then I saw all the files and directories.

Now that seems to be gone. There is still a link, but
that leads to the new (?) web interface, where you
can see the movies/series/music in Xbian (which is
nice, too, but not what I need right now).

So, can you tell me how to gain access to the files and
directories again? Maybe without installing any programmes
or so?

Thank you, mates.

RE: Direct Access to Pi - f1vefour - 5th Feb, 2015 09:42 PM

SMB must not be running, could you pastebin the output of dmesg?

RE: Direct Access to Pi - syco - 5th Feb, 2015 10:15 PM

SMB has to be deactivated? Okay, I did that
right now in usbmount.conf and rebooted,
but no change here.

How to get the dmesg output?

Nevermind, I changed that:

SHARESMB=no
SHAREW=yes

... and then I could go into Explorer and enter \\192.168...
and it works now, I hope.

... but still it is weird, that I have to enter
the IP into the address field and not just
being able to click on the Xbian-Beamer
shortcut. :\

RE: Direct Access to Pi - f1vefour - 6th Feb, 2015 07:53 AM

That means there is a hostname issue, try rebooting your router.

RE: Direct Access to Pi - DonEdu - 9th Feb, 2015 07:32 AM

I had the same problem. It worked fine on a Rasberry with XBian 1.0 RC3 but when I updated to a new version of XBian no Samba shares were visible in Windows. On my Android phone however, I could see these shares but the name of the workgroup was not visible (used Fing, great app). I have very little knowledge of Linux but with some help of a friend I found out that nmbd service wasn’t running. This is the log file: /var/log/samba/log.nmbd (you have to login (Putty) with root to view the directory).

So I start searching on ‘Samba’ and ‘nmbd’ between the old and the new version and find out that the file /etc/init.d/samba was missing. With this file you can restart Samba. This file contains the command to start the nmbd service:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/sbin/nmbd -- -D

What I finally did to solve the problem is copying the file /etc/init.d/samba from the old XBian version to a directory named /etc/rc2.d and renamed the file to s01samba. I don’t know how it works but this file is executed at start-up Smile I also copied the file to /etc/init.d

I don’t know if this is a good solution but it worked fine on my new Rasberry Pi 2 with XBian_2015.02.07_rpi2 installed. Hope this is helpful to you.

RE: Direct Access to Pi - CurlyMo - 9th Feb, 2015 07:59 AM

@DonEdu, can you post an issue on github requesting the autostart of nmbd?

RE: Direct Access to Pi - syco - 9th Feb, 2015 11:02 AM

(9th Feb, 2015 07:32 AM)DonEdu Wrote:  I had the same problem. It worked fine on a Rasberry with XBian 1.0 RC3 but when I updated to a new version of XBian no Samba shares were visible in Windows. On my Android phone however, I could see these shares but the name of the workgroup was not visible (used Fing, great app). I have very little knowledge of Linux but with some help of a friend I found out that nmbd service wasn’t running. This is the log file: /var/log/samba/log.nmbd (you have to login (Putty) with root to view the directory).

So I start searching on ‘Samba’ and ‘nmbd’ between the old and the new version and find out that the file /etc/init.d/samba was missing. With this file you can restart Samba. This file contains the command to start the nmbd service:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/sbin/nmbd -- -D

What I finally did to solve the problem is copying the file /etc/init.d/samba from the old XBian version to a directory named /etc/rc2.d and renamed the file to s01samba. I don’t know how it works but this file is executed at start-up Smile I also copied the file to /etc/init.d

I don’t know if this is a good solution but it worked fine on my new Rasberry Pi 2 with XBian_2015.02.07_rpi2 installed. Hope this is helpful to you.

Nice, mate! Works now with the manual start (your command).