Forum
Enable core dumping in Xbian kernel - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Enable core dumping in Xbian kernel (/thread-2709.html)

Enable core dumping in Xbian kernel - glorang - 8th Feb, 2015 02:45 AM

Hi,

I noticed you can't enable core duming on Xbian. e.g.

Code:
root@xbian ~ # /sbin/sysctl kernel.core_pattern
sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern: No such file or directory

Could you please enable it in a future kernel upgrade? I think it's CONFIG_CORE_DUMP_DEFAULT_ELF_HEADERS (not 100% sure though, i think this is a "subsetting" of coredumps)

Or any specific reason this is not included?

Thanks;
Geert

RE: Enable core dumping in Xbian kernel - CurlyMo - 8th Feb, 2015 04:11 AM

Can you do a pull request on our xbian kernel github repository?

RE: Enable core dumping in Xbian kernel - glorang - 10th Feb, 2015 12:42 AM

Over the weekend I've tried to recompile the xbian-package-kernel per https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/wiki/Building-XBian-packages instructions to verify what I really needed was correct, but to be honest, I had a really hard time.

From the wiki instructions I did a

Code:
/usr/local/src/xbian/xbian-package-kernel# $xbiangit --arch rpi --action build

That gave following error:

Code:
SUNXI TOOLS compiled.
/usr/local/src/xbian/xbian-package-kernel/hooks.d/pre-build.d/scripts-bpi: line 62: return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script
cp: cannot create regular file `../../content-tpl/boot/': No such file or directory
Warning: sh +e /usr/local/src/xbian/xbian-package-kernel/hooks.d/pre-build.d/scripts-bpi returned 1
ERROR RETURNED from command

After some digging I just did a
Code:
cp ./build/rpi/working/.boards/script.bin ./build/content-tpl

and commented out the cp line in the script.

Relaunched the build and it got a bit further. When it tried to compile U-BOOT following errors popped up:

Code:
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc: command not found

And indeed I didn't have the arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc installed, I've installed the arm-linux-gnueabihf- toolchain from https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools (I couldn't find the arm-linux-gnueabi- toolchain?) and updated "build/rpi/config" to use the hf toolchain.

I got finally some stuff compiling but again the pre-hook script failed.
Code:
OBJCOPY u-boot.srec
U-BOOT compiled.
cp: cannot create regular file `../../content-tpl/etc/uboot-env/': No such file or directory
Warning: sh +e /usr/local/src/xbian/xbian-package-kernel/hooks.d/pre-build.d/uboot-bpi returned 1
ERROR RETURNED from command

I decided to just compile the kernel straight away (apart from the Xbian tools) so did a
Code:
cd /usr/local/src/xbian/xbian-package-kernel/build/rpi/working
make bcmrpi_defconfig
make

and finally, i got a complete kernel compiled. Then, due to Xbian patching the kernel to use LZ4 compression, i wasn't able to copy my new kernel to my sd card Sad

I'm quite sure I need following three setting in the .config
Code:
CONFIG_ELF_CORE=y
CONFIG_CORE_DUMP_DEFAULT_ELF_HEADERS=y
CONFIG_COREDUMP=y

but as you can read I can't test them out. If anyone has a good guide on how to recompile the xbian-kernel-package i'm happy to test it out.

Thanks;
Geert

Ok, got it running now.

On my build system /bin/sh was symlinked to /bin/bash instead of /bin/dash. Not sure if or how it got changed, but after symlinking it to /bin/dash it started compiling the kernel (running now).

So maybe include on the wiki which/where to get the correct toolchain. Because I'm still compiling with the arm-linux-gnueabihf now (and the updated build/rpi/config) from github.com/raspberrypi/tools.