Forum
USB Audio support - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: USB Audio support (/thread-276.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: USB Audio support - mk01 - 8th Oct, 2014 06:08 PM

@Killa

just tested the same NI AudioDJ8 usb sound as last time (what I was very much angry and confused) and now some tracks I tested (mostly itunes mp4a(aac) at 256 or 320kbps do play normally. so no clicks&hacks in output sound, 20% cpu load. with other work in parallel (browsing xbmc gui etc) sometimes there is buffer under-run (1-2 times per track) - all media content hosted on network.

RE: USB Audio support - Killerbee - 9th Oct, 2014 05:35 AM

(8th Oct, 2014 06:08 PM)mk01 Wrote:  @Killa

just tested the same NI AudioDJ8 usb sound as last time (what I was very much angry and confused) and now some tracks I tested (mostly itunes mp4a(aac) at 256 or 320kbps do play normally. so no clicks&hacks in output sound, 20% cpu load. with other work in parallel (browsing xbmc gui etc) sometimes there is buffer under-run (1-2 times per track) - all media content hosted on network.

@mk01
Thanks for your information.
I just installed the new kernel 3.15.8+ (staging) but unfortunately still I have cracks/clicks
It seems that the quality is slightly better, but still worse compared to OE.
In OE I do not have any cracks/clicks even when I play a movie (audio hdmi) and listen to my music using squeezelite (USB DAC).

I will wait for the kernel version 3.16.3 and report back...
KB

RE: USB Audio support - mk01 - 11th Oct, 2014 11:56 AM

send .config from OE
and /proc/cmdline

for my Audio card it is also ok. With movies as well. Only 15+MBPS videos are causing spikes on network adapter/usb while streaming from network and then some drops occure. but have not found any reference that it doesn't for others as well.

when you was comparing alsa output did you make sure the actual alsa configs match ?

RE: USB Audio support - f1vefour - 11th Oct, 2014 12:12 PM

The .config should be in /proc/config.gz @Killerbee

RE: USB Audio support - Killerbee - 12th Oct, 2014 01:44 AM

(11th Oct, 2014 11:56 AM)mk01 Wrote:  send .config from OE
and /proc/cmdline
when you was comparing alsa output did you make sure the actual alsa configs match ?
@mk01
Thanks for (again) for helping me
Hereby the settings of OpenElec
/proc/cmdline
Terminal
root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel.img dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1280 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=1024 bcm2708.boardrev=0x2 bcm2708.serial=0xe19c2355 smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:9C:23:55 sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=250000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0xec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x10000000 boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet

I was unable to find the kernel config file on the running system but I downloaded the OE source and I could find this config.
Pastbin .config

I could find an also.conf file in /usr/share/alsa
Pastbin alsa.conf

I will try to use this alsa.conf in xbian RC3

I hope this will help
Thanks again

USB Sound - Mailstorm - 20th Oct, 2014 09:25 AM

I have just edited my previous post.

I wish to send video through HDMI, and sound through a USB sound card. From what I've been reading on the wiki, it's possible. But I can't figure out how to do it. Someone want to help me out?

RE: USB Sound - rikardo1979 - 20th Oct, 2014 04:11 PM

I'm not sure what previous post you referring to as you have a single post. USB audio support is in experimental stage on RPi. For further discussion and testing, read above. Thread merged

RE: USB Audio support - Mailstorm - 21st Oct, 2014 05:17 AM

(20th Oct, 2014 04:11 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  I'm not sure what previous post you referring to as you have a single post. USB audio support is in experimental stage on RPi. For further discussion and testing, read above. Thread merged

I had another topic saying I couldn't mount to an nfs source. But I figured it out so I just edited that so I wouldn't fill up the forum with questions. I've read this, but it doesn't seem to answer my question. I want to watch a movie I have with the sound going out usb audio. The people here are talking about just doing music. So I'm going to guess the thing I need it to do isn't possible.

RE: USB Audio support - rikardo1979 - 21st Oct, 2014 05:50 AM

it is about audio out over USB, so no matter of the source if is from music or video Wink

RE: USB Audio support - Mailstorm - 21st Oct, 2014 08:00 AM

Ok...then how would I go about doing this? I have very little knowledge of Linux in general.

RE: USB Audio support - Holger_P - 4th Nov, 2014 04:54 AM

(20th Oct, 2014 04:11 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  I'm not sure what previous post you referring to as you have a single post. USB audio support is in experimental stage on RPi. For further discussion and testing, read above. Thread merged

Why is it experimental?

The Project Archphile runs a Linux with very stable sound on USB DACs. No clicks and no crashes. I use two USB Dacs with PCM 2704 or PCM 2707 (nearly same chip). These are the "old" Burr Brown Chips with excellent sound and digital/optical output. Both chips makes up to 48KHz sample-rate and 16Bit.

I testet Xbian RC3 with an Raspbaerry PI B and a newer B+. On both i installed mpd and used it with alsa. And the results are the following:
With the Raspberry PI B there are very much clicks and noises. But no crashes, the B runs stable.
The Raspberry PI B+ has less clicks. But the cpu usage is after a few minutes on 100% and after about 15 to 20 minutes the B+ crashes. I am Linux Newby and dont know whats the different between Xbian and Archphile in configuration, but both play with mpd and alsa. One complete stable, the other with extreme much clicks or crashes with the newer B+. I would like to use Xbian, because i would like to use XMBC or mpd on the same Raspberry. Of course not both the same time.

RE: USB Audio support - rikardo1979 - 4th Nov, 2014 06:16 AM

(4th Nov, 2014 04:54 AM)Holger_P Wrote:  

Why is it experimental?

The Project Archphile runs a Linux with very stable sound on USB DACs. No clicks and no crashes. I use two USB Dacs with PCM 2704 or PCM 2707 (nearly same chip). These are the "old" Burr Brown Chips with excellent sound and digital/optical output. Both chips makes up to 48KHz sample-rate and 16Bit.

I testet Xbian RC3 with an Raspbaerry PI B and a newer B+. On both i installed mpd and used it with alsa. And the results are the following:
With the Raspberry PI B there are very much clicks and noises. But no crashes, the B runs stable.
The Raspberry PI B+ has less clicks. But the cpu usage is after a few minutes on 100% and after about 15 to 20 minutes the B+ crashes. I am Linux Newby and dont know whats the different between Xbian and Archphile in configuration, but both play with mpd and alsa. One complete stable, the other with extreme much clicks or crashes with the newer B+. I would like to use Xbian, because i would like to use XMBC or mpd on the same Raspberry. Of course not both the same time.

ALSA m8 ALSA on RPi is not fully supported as it wasnt meant to be

RE: USB Audio support - Holger_P - 6th Nov, 2014 04:17 AM

(4th Nov, 2014 06:16 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  ALSA m8 ALSA on RPi is not fully supported as it wasnt meant to be

Perhaps is my english not good enough. I dont understand your sentence.

There are some USB-Problems with ALSA on RPI, but OpenElec uses USB-DACs via ALSA without sound-Problems and the guy who makes Archphile found a solution too.

RE: USB Audio support - rikardo1979 - 6th Nov, 2014 04:25 AM

(6th Nov, 2014 04:17 AM)Holger_P Wrote:  
(4th Nov, 2014 06:16 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  ALSA m8 ALSA on RPi is not fully supported as it wasnt meant to be

Perhaps is my english not good enough. I dont understand your sentence.

There are some USB-Problems with ALSA on RPI, but OpenElec uses USB-DACs via ALSA without sound-Problems and the guy who makes Archphile found a solution too.

XBMC for RPi do not support Alsa officially, thats all

RE: USB Audio support - Holger_P - 6th Nov, 2014 04:33 AM

(6th Nov, 2014 04:25 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  XBMC for RPi do not support Alsa officially, thats all

Ah, i see. XMBC from Openelec does work with my Burr Brown PCM 2704, if i chose SPDIF.

I would like to use ALSA with mpd. XMBC is no good Music Player, so german magazine ct suggested to use the RPI with XBIAN, watching video with XMBC or playing music with mpd. The idea is great, only the sound of the internal RPI-DAC is poor and the sound-problems with USB-DAC are great.