Forum
[SOLVED] Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs (/thread-2762.html)

Pages: 1 2

Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - beach - 20th Feb, 2015 02:04 AM

Dear Forum, my 1st post.

Just bought the latest Rpi v2 B with an 8Gb SD card. This is my 2nd raspberry, I also have a version A (The very first batch I think). Some background: I am an advanced linux user.

Being familiar with raspbian I first installed that to verify that eveything is working. And it is.

Then I downloaded the latest Xbian image AND installer from this website. Now the troubles begin:

I unzip the installer, chmod it (although it was already executable) and ran it with

sudo ./XBian-installer
It then replies:
Terminal
./XBian-installer: 5: ./XBian-installer: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

Googled it but did not find a solution.

Well I thought it is linux so a dd command should work too. I unpacked the image file and dd it to my SD card (with option bs=32M).
I see a /boot directory and others so that should have worked.

I then inserted it in the Rpi, and started it. It hangs with the Xbian logo and the word: Creating
After 15 mins (was that enough time) I unplugged the Rpi and started it up again. Now it hangs in the same logo but with the word ´fs´ (probably FileSystem?)

I run ubuntu 14.04 32bit system

My Questions:
1 What could be the problem with the installer?
2 Does a simple dd command suffice? What is the installer actually doing?
3 Pls help Huh

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - IriDium - 20th Feb, 2015 02:15 AM

Not sure what is going on here:

I'm on 14.10 and just downloaded the installer and ran it without any problems.

Just seen you are on a 32 bit machine - the installer used to work only 64bit machines, this could be that problem.

Also do you have the Quad core RPi 2 or a model B single core? Did you select the correct version?

Also BS=32M seems high, try BS=1M

@calhaus Can you confirm that this should work on both 32 and 64 bit linux machines?

If not, then the download web page needs to be changed to state this.

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - beach - 20th Feb, 2015 05:08 AM

Thank you for replying

It might be a 64bit/32bit problem.
Will burn again with bs=1M. I´ll get back to this post with the results asap.

So for the 2nd Question: The installer is only a dd (and unpacker)? Ot does it change anything else?

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - belese - 20th Feb, 2015 05:15 AM

Fort me BS=4M dont work. Card seems corrupt. Sometimes 2M dont work. Never have a problem with 1M.

And seems some card doesn't support well online resizing. I've got one of this. The trick is to resize with gparted after first freeze.

And yes DD should do the same than the installer

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - rikardo1979 - 20th Feb, 2015 05:29 AM

regarding the error when you trying run the installer
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/353#issuecomment-16358061
I know its an old comment but it is pretty much your issue, so it can be 64 vs 32 bit issue or other two

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - beach - 20th Feb, 2015 05:36 AM

Yes I found that issue. Even before I posted this question.

Meaning it is a 64/32bit issue? Then pls link a 32bit version in the download area.

I am not that rich to buy a new (64bit) computer Wink

Maybe some crowd funding........ Angel

Love those smileys........

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - rikardo1979 - 20th Feb, 2015 04:08 PM

OK than
unfortunately I do not have 32bit environment to test
Anyone?

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - IriDium - 20th Feb, 2015 10:04 PM

Yet, you can still run a standard dd bs=1M if=<xbian.img> of=/dev/xxxx instead of an installer.

I've just run the installer in a 32bit VM on my 64bit and I get the same error. So it is a 32/64bit error.

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - beach - 21st Feb, 2015 01:43 AM

I tried the following:

1st I re-installed the image with dd and bs=1M
Inserted the SD card (transcend 8Gb class 10, sold in combination with the Rpi) and waited some 60 minutes. The Rpi hung again at ´Creation´
I then removed the SD card (yes Switched of the Rpi first) and investigated the card in my card reader. Apparently the growing had worked so I re-inserted the card in the Rpi, but then it got stuck on ´installing´.

Ok back to square 1: I again burnt the image with dd and bs=1M but after that tried to grow it with gparted. I needed to install the package btrfs-tools first. Grew the system to 8Gb manually and tried it in my Rpi:
Now it is stuck at ´fs´

Could it be that the btrfs file system is not supported correctly or maybe the SD card is not fit for this particular filesystem?

I will try again but re-format to EXT4. If that´s not working......... Out of ideas.

FYI I am using image XBian_2015.02.14_rpi2.img some 581Mb

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - IriDium - 21st Feb, 2015 01:56 AM

Still waiting for my previous question "Also do you have the Quad core RPi 2 or a model B single core? Did you select the correct version?"

If it is a RPi 2 quad core, then it should be up and running in a jiffy.

Will try and replicate.

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - beach - 21st Feb, 2015 02:02 AM

Sorry, missed that question earlier.

The silk-screen print on my board says:

Raspberry PI 2 Model B v1.1
And the Broadcom processor is a BCM2836

Since I do not have a working system now I cannot check the amount of RAM or other info.

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - IriDium - 21st Feb, 2015 02:19 AM

You can tell if it's a RPi 2 if it has the power connector next to the HDMI slot.

I've just downloaded the same img file XBian_2015.02.14_rpi2.img, dd'd it and booted. Xbian came up in around 30 seconds including the fs.

There should be no need to gparted it at all.

What is the exact dd command you use? Was the card reformatted before use (Should not be necessary but.. Create a single EXT4 partition). unmount, then dd as before.

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - beach - 21st Feb, 2015 02:32 AM

Yes the power connector is directly next to the HDMI slot.

I use the following command:

Terminal
sudo dd bs=1M if=XBian_2015.02.14_rpi2.img of=/dev/sdb

I did not reformat. Will try that.
Further There is nothing connected to my Rpi other than the Power plug (obvious) and a HDMI cable.
So no ethernet, or any USB device, no mouse no keyboard

I´ll try the refomat to ext4 trick and burn it again. May take some while....

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - IriDium - 21st Feb, 2015 02:44 AM

Can't see anything wrong with the command nor the img file used. Maybe download the image file again as the original might have been corrupted - the size is OK though.

On another point - how are you going to use Xbian without any way of controlling it? Touch screen maybe?

You could try flashing the SD card with Raspbian and if that works, we can rule out the SD card and the reader if that works.

So the only thing left is Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit but I can't see why.

It might help if you post the output of dmesg via pastebin.com as well

RE: Ubuntu: installer not working, Xbian hangs - calhaus - 21st Feb, 2015 03:42 AM

(20th Feb, 2015 02:04 AM)beach Wrote:  (...)

I run ubuntu 14.04 32bit system

My Questions:
1 What could be the problem with the installer?
2 Does a simple dd command suffice? What is the installer actually doing?
3 Pls help Huh

1) I'm sorry the app is 64bits only.
The solution: You can go and try to compile it yourself from git (It would actually be cool if someone with a 32bit did this).
Link: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-installer-universal

2)Yes i used to use dd (and gparted after to resize it)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Without using the installer i'm seeing you're having problems. My first thought is you're not resizing the sd card after using dd and you're having memory space problems.

After using dd, use gparted and allocate your free space to xbian partition. (you need to install 'btrfs-tools' first to be able to allocate the space)

P.S.: Just a tip: there's a good user interface for dd called 'gdiskdump' if you guys dont like to use dd from terminal.