Forum
[SOLVED] wifi problems and beyond - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] wifi problems and beyond (/thread-2786.html)

wifi problems and beyond - totenstrahl - 27th Feb, 2015 05:26 AM

Hello.

I have one or several problems with my Xbian.

Main problem:
* Cannot connect to wifi.
Secondary problem: I do not understand how to
* edit files
* open a command line (I have a feeling the noobiness is strong with me!)

Background: I've recently bought a Raspberry Pi B+. (I connect via HDMI to a TV, have a 5V 2A power supply, wifi dongle, wireless keyboard.)
First, I installed the Raspbian OS and everything worked fine - in particular wifi access.

I realised that I wanted something like Xbian, and so I've now installed that instead (1.0 knockout). It works fine as far as I can tell, but I can no longer access the wifi.
I use
system > settings > xbian > wlan0 (with Type: DHCP )
and it finds my network in the scan. But after typing the password it just cannot connect (it goes back to the list of networks and when I close that box it says "Failed to connect to wlan0" ). Since all worked under the Raspbian OS I suspect there is some setting here that must be adjusted (rather than a hardware problem).

I've seen people having similar problems, e.g.
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/7872/wifi-connection-problems-with-multiple-xbmc-distributions
and suggestions include
* editing /etc/network/interface. I have no problem locating the file in the filesystem - but there seems to be no way to open it (despite clicking like a mad person). Is this because I somehow am a user without acces to these files? Is there no built-in editor in Xbian? I tried accessing the file from the SD card from my laptop, but it cannot recognise the file system (the laptop has Windows). I have not seen anyone with this problem which makes me think I'm missing something very obvious. (I thought this adress looked quite promising: http://www.xbian.org/getting-started/install-and-connect/#ssh but I get a "404 not found".
)
* connecting via the command line... I don't understand how to even open the command line!

Any help much appreciated!

#################
UPDATE :
This seems borderline silly, since I did not actually try this before posting, but a fresh install solved my problems. It now connects to the wifi without problems. Anyways, thanks to the people who gave suggestions - I got valuable info about how xbian is managed anyway.

RE: wifi problems and beyond - rikardo1979 - 27th Feb, 2015 05:38 AM

search for software WinSCP and learn how to use it. I would say that is the easiest way for you

RE: wifi problems and beyond - rikardo1979 - 27th Feb, 2015 05:39 AM

also PuTTY as you are running windoze machine. thats the way you open command line Wink

RE: wifi problems and beyond - totenstrahl - 27th Feb, 2015 04:02 PM

(27th Feb, 2015 05:39 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  also PuTTY as you are running windoze machine. thats the way you open command line Wink

Thanks! I will test this. For anyone with similar problems this seems like a good place to start: http://htpcbuild.com/htpc-software/raspberry-pi-xbian/connecting-to-xbian-ssh/

RE: wifi problems and beyond - IriDium - 28th Feb, 2015 12:52 AM

Looks like there is an issue with the KODI Xbian-config System as it is not saving the details - error messgae box "Network an unexpected error occured" .

To get round this: log into you RPi using ssh and use the xban-config tool Settings -> Network

I would also try the Wifi Dongle in a powered Hub. Xbian uses a bit more power than Raspbian.

RE: wifi problems and beyond - totenstrahl - 2nd Mar, 2015 06:52 AM

(28th Feb, 2015 12:52 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Looks like there is an issue with the KODI Xbian-config System as it is not saving the details - error messgae box "Network an unexpected error occured" .

To get round this: log into you RPi using ssh and use the xban-config tool Settings -> Network

I would also try the Wifi Dongle in a powered Hub. Xbian uses a bit more power than Raspbian.

I have not actually tried the xban-config yet. I encountered weird problems with even getting the xbian to work with a network cable so I did a fresh install and voilá! it works. Anyways, good to know some options for possible future problems.

And, the dongle that I use seems to be ok with the current power supply.