Forum
[PROBLEM] Stuck on black screen at boot - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Stuck on black screen at boot (/thread-2787.html)

Stuck on black screen at boot - ilikexbian - 27th Feb, 2015 08:45 AM

Hi,

After doing an upgrade via ssh, my system was going (automatically) for a reboot. After that, it did not came back.
I tried to restart it by disconnecting the power source, but I only get a black screen.

The only problem I had, was that I had no free space left. So maybe something is corrupted. However, I think it is strange nothing happens (no logo, no text message) on boot. Because of the btrfs that is being used, I cannot use my Linux Mint install to investigate the problems, right?

Do you got any clue what's going on and how I can solve it?
I have a RPi 2.

RE: Stuck on black screen at boot - rikardo1979 - 27th Feb, 2015 04:35 PM

(27th Feb, 2015 08:45 AM)ilikexbian Wrote:  Hi,

After doing an upgrade via ssh, my system was going (automatically) for a reboot. After that, it did not came back.
I tried to restart it by disconnecting the power source, but I only get a black screen.

The only problem I had, was that I had no free space left. So maybe something is corrupted. However, I think it is strange nothing happens (no logo, no text message) on boot. Because of the btrfs that is being used, I cannot use my Linux Mint install to investigate the problems, right?

Do you got any clue what's going on and how I can solve it?
I have a RPi 2.
what kind of upgrade?
what exactly have you done? what steps?

RE: Stuck on black screen at boot - f1vefour - 27th Feb, 2015 04:42 PM

No free space during an upgrade can bork the system.

RE: Stuck on black screen at boot - ilikexbian - 27th Feb, 2015 07:17 PM

(27th Feb, 2015 04:35 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  what kind of upgrade?
what exactly have you done? what steps?
I executed the statements below via ssh:
Code:
$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get upgrade

(27th Feb, 2015 04:42 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  No free space during an upgrade can bork the system.
I already removed some files ('rm -rf'), but 'df -h' did not show the space as free already, I guess it was not released yet.

What can I do to restore my installation? Or at least to save my settings? Do you have any ideas?

RE: Stuck on black screen at boot - IriDium - 28th Feb, 2015 03:46 AM

One assumes you do not have a backup?

What does df-h show.
Also try find {/path/to/directory} -type f -size +{10000}k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $8 ": " $5 }'

You can try a btrfs-restore on the last snapshot, but I think the pull plug may have corrupted something.

Can you ssh into the RPi? If so, run xbian-config and try an upgrade.

RE: Stuck on black screen at boot - ilikexbian - 1st Mar, 2015 07:54 PM

(28th Feb, 2015 03:46 AM)IriDium Wrote:  One assumes you do not have a backup?

What does df-h show.
Also try find {/path/to/directory} -type f -size +{10000}k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $8 ": " $5 }'

You can try a btrfs-restore on the last snapshot, but I think the pull plug may have corrupted something.

Can you ssh into the RPi? If so, run xbian-config and try an upgrade.

No, I do not have a backup. I am not able to ssh to the box; it is just stuck at the boot. It seems it is not just my GUI that died.
Do I have to perform your commands on my desktop (where I cannot mount the sd card)? Otherwise, I do not see how I can accomplish that.