Forum
[SOLVED] 8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] 8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE (/thread-2813.html)

8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE - ocbgold - 6th Mar, 2015 08:45 PM

Hi!

Im using RP2 with XBian_2015.02.28_rpi2 in a 8GB micro SD CARD class 4, Im thinking about changing it to another of 16 GB class 10 but my doubt is that first I tried with a 4GB card and the system info showed that I had 561MB free which was the same free space that I have with the 8GB. So if I buy a 16GB card class 10, Am I gonna continue having 561MB free? When I download the ArtWork that space reduce, so Im worry about buying a new 16GB card when Im gonna have the same free useful space.

Thank you in advance.

RE: 8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE - rikardo1979 - 6th Mar, 2015 09:15 PM

obviously your sd card wasn't resized for what ever reason.
XBian has auto resize tool which resize your card at first boot, so whole capacity is used

RE: 8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE - ocbgold - 6th Mar, 2015 09:26 PM

(6th Mar, 2015 09:15 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  obviously your sd card wasn't resized for what ever reason.
XBian has auto resize tool which resize your card at first boot, so whole capacity is used

Thanks a lot for the answer, is there any way to resize my card after the first boot? or should I start from the scratch?

Also if I use a sd card class 10, will be charged faster the menus?? Its cos sometimes it takes 5 or 6 seconds loading inside a menu, but I dont know if it is cos the sd card class 4 or cos Im using a 3TB HDD. Also takes like 10 seconds to load the covers of the movies.

Thank you in advance!

RE: 8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE - IriDium - 8th Mar, 2015 03:45 AM

XBian should automatically resize your SD card automatically.

Something is ODD here. I've never noticed issues like this on a RPi2. How did you install the image?

Even so.

It sounds like a swap issue.

The best idea is to download gparted system recovery boot iso. Burn it to a CD or follow the instructions to copy to a USB. Run that and then resize the image.

On an RPi2 you should not see any delay in loading menus, so it seems something else is the problem.

I would solve the freespace problem first before buying a new SD card. Personally I haven't noticed any degradation between a class 4 or class 10 on the RPi2.

RE: 8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE - ocbgold - 8th Mar, 2015 06:26 AM

(8th Mar, 2015 03:45 AM)IriDium Wrote:  XBian should automatically resize your SD card automatically.

Something is ODD here. I've never noticed issues like this on a RPi2. How did you install the image?

Even so.

It sounds like a swap issue.

The best idea is to download gparted system recovery boot iso. Burn it to a CD or follow the instructions to copy to a USB. Run that and then resize the image.

On an RPi2 you should not see any delay in loading menus, so it seems something else is the problem.

I would solve the freespace problem first before buying a new SD card. Personally I haven't noticed any degradation between a class 4 or class 10 on the RPi2.

Thanks for the answer. Today I bought a new SD Card 16 GB and class 10. I installed the new version (XBian_2015.03.07_rpi2) and it works flawlessly! So it was a problem with the old sd cards.

Thanks a lot for the answers!

PS. With the old SD cards I use hard disk low level format tool and after that win32diskimager to copy the image.