Forum
Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: CuBox-i / Hummingboard (/forum-66.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-72.html)
+--- Thread: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed (/thread-2815.html)

Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - abramq - 7th Mar, 2015 08:43 AM

Hello,
It is off by default. Could you please describe what kind of firewall rules it switching on?
How to configure it?
Will be thankfully for any advice!

Greetings,
JA

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - IriDium - 8th Mar, 2015 02:43 AM

What are your system details as described in "Please read before you post" See my signature.

I'm not aware of a current xbian-firewall. Are you on a staging or development upgrade route?

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - deHakkelaar - 8th Mar, 2015 03:04 AM

(7th Mar, 2015 08:43 AM)abramq Wrote:  Hello,
It is off by default. Could you please describe what kind of firewall rules it switching on?
How to configure it?
Will be thankfully for any advice!

Greetings,
JA

"iptables" is included:

Terminal
iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

If you dont like to wrestle iptables, idd suggest install fwbuilder to setup iptables but need X window for that:
http://www.fwbuilder.org/

Terminal
apt-cache search fwbuilder
fwbuilder - Firewall administration tool GUI

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - IriDium - 8th Mar, 2015 03:19 AM

@deHakkelaar the user @abramq seems to think there is a service called xbian-firewall. I'm not aware of this, do you know something I don't?

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - deHakkelaar - 8th Mar, 2015 03:25 AM

(8th Mar, 2015 03:19 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @deHakkelaar the user @abramq seems to think there is a service called xbian-firewall. I'm not aware of this, do you know something I don't?
Nope, dont know bout "xbian-firewall" either.

EDIT: it is in xbian-config though.

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - IriDium - 8th Mar, 2015 03:49 AM

@deHakkelaar Damn - what release are you on. I have no idea about it. @devs?

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - deHakkelaar - 8th Mar, 2015 04:08 AM

@IriDium :
Xbian 1.0 (knockout)
Kodi 14.1

Not sure if its working :

Terminal
$ grep 'RULEFILE=' /etc/init/xbian-firewall.conf
env RULEFILE=/run/network/fw.script

$ cat /run/network/fw.script
cat: /run/network/fw.script: No such file or directory

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - CurlyMo - 8th Mar, 2015 06:28 AM

https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-update/commit/644653d09101331ccbffe945ae529c875515c860

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - deHakkelaar - 8th Mar, 2015 08:30 AM

Hahaha
throw away your expensive router ... step in comes XBian with deb packaging and all

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - abramq - 8th Mar, 2015 09:38 AM

Please forgive me Smile I am using Pi 2, now I see that it is for CuBox. Please move topis if possible.
Sorry once more...

(8th Mar, 2015 03:04 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  If you dont like to wrestle iptables, idd suggest install fwbuilder to setup iptables but need X window for that:
http://www.fwbuilder.org/

Terminal
apt-cache search fwbuilder
fwbuilder - Firewall administration tool GUI
Nice project, thanks, but seems to be dead for 2 years? (link)

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - CurlyMo - 8th Mar, 2015 10:06 AM

xbian-config is 99% platform independent.

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - deHakkelaar - 9th Mar, 2015 04:18 AM

(8th Mar, 2015 09:38 AM)abramq Wrote:  .
Nice project, thanks, but seems to be dead for 2 years? (link)

You just need a tool to create iptables rules if you dont want to use command line.
Doesnt matter how old the software is just as long as it does the job of creating those iptables rules.
You do understand that you only need fwbuilder once to setup those iptables rules (it doenst run as a daemon or anything).
Afterwards you can remove fwbuilder again if you like and iptables will still do its thing.

"xbian-firewall" is currently a simple firewall tool with not allot of options to populate those iptables rules.
But could grow with a bit of development and expand to do NAT as well and maybe even routing (which is not iptables by the way).

Ps. for Debian, many packages exist to populate iptables:
https://wiki.debian.org/Firewalls
But "fwbuilder" resembles a popular commercial FW product called "Checkpoint" so is used allot.

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - f1vefour - 9th Mar, 2015 04:58 AM

Or you can do:

Terminal

apt-cache search firewall

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - deHakkelaar - 9th Mar, 2015 07:33 AM

Or:

Terminal
iptables -P INPUT DROP

( NOT RECOMMENDED Wink )

RE: Config->Services->xbian-firewall Any description needed - abramq - 9th Mar, 2015 05:19 PM

(9th Mar, 2015 04:18 AM)deHakkelaar Wrote:  You just need a tool to create iptables rules if you dont want to use command line.
Doesnt matter how old the software is just as long as it does the job of creating those iptables rules.
You do understand that you only need fwbuilder once to setup those iptables rules (it doenst run as a daemon or anything).
Afterwards you can remove fwbuilder again if you like and iptables will still do its thing.
Very interesting post, thanks once more!