Forum
[SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) (/thread-2827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) - Exnor - 9th Mar, 2015 05:49 AM

So i've updated 2 days ago to the latest versions (apt-get upgrade, etc etc) on my 2 P1 model 1 B and now both of them are getting Kernel Panic randomly...

It can be after a full reboot or after 24 hours of working ok...
EDIT:Also it gives Kernel Panic sometimes i try to Scrub the BTRFS (tested on both and its the same problem) EVEN with Kodi stopped (service/binary full stopped). BUT other times it finishes without problems.

No other changes were made to the units.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Because now i'm with zero units to use Sad

Thks

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - CurlyMo - 9th Mar, 2015 06:58 AM

1. Downgrade either the kernel version through apt (check google how to install specific versions).
2. Rollback your BTRFS snapshots to before the kernel instlallation (check the XBian wiki).

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 9th Mar, 2015 08:58 AM

(9th Mar, 2015 06:58 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  1. Downgrade either the kernel version through apt (check google how to install specific versions).
2. Rollback your BTRFS snapshots to before the kernel instlallation (check the XBian wiki).

Ok, but is this something that was supposed to happen? because both my pi's have the same problem...

Anybody else got the same problem? one of the pi's is OC @turboo and the other is at basic clock.

What Happens in the future if i update Xbian?

Also what version should i install? the previous one (before 2 or 3 days ago) was ok but i dont know the version.

Thanks.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - CurlyMo - 9th Mar, 2015 06:57 PM

No, but it is something that can happen. If it does, we offer several solutions to get a working system again.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 9th Mar, 2015 11:57 PM

(9th Mar, 2015 06:57 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  No, but it is something that can happen. If it does, we offer several solutions to get a working system again.

Can you give me some help please? I dont know why this happened on 2 units and i dont even know what kernel version should i install now.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - rikardo1979 - 10th Mar, 2015 01:04 AM

why you just don't stay on stable bills than?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 10th Mar, 2015 01:34 AM

Pi 1 or 2?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 10th Mar, 2015 02:48 AM

(10th Mar, 2015 01:04 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  why you just don't stay on stable bills than?

I'm on stable only... i dont even have the nightly repos on the sources list.
Xbian 1.0(knockout) Kernel 3.18.8+
Kodi 14.2.BETA2 compiled Mar 6 2015

Terminal

deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt stable main rpi-wheezy
### deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt staging main rpi-wheezy
### deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt devel main rpi-wheezy

[ Read 3 lines ]
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text^T To Spell

(10th Mar, 2015 01:34 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Pi 1 or 2?

Pi 1 model B. No hardware or other changes. Work perfectly until the update 3 days ago.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 10th Mar, 2015 02:53 AM

Could you post the exact command that is causing the panic?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 10th Mar, 2015 03:00 AM

(10th Mar, 2015 02:53 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Could you post the exact command that is causing the panic?

Well sometimes (most of them btw) it just enters in Panic without any command... Kodi crashes and i get a kernel panic screen with mem, regs and whatnot dumps on screen.

but the only CLI command i've entered that sometimes resulted in a Panic was
Terminal

sudo btrfs scrub start /
but it only "panicked" after some time of BTRFS been scrubbing.

Other times its successful on finishing the scrub.

Is there any kernel log by default being saved? And if yes what is the directory for me to post it here.

thanks.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 10th Mar, 2015 03:22 AM

The output of 'dmesg' and ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log is the major logs.

There has been no changes to btrfs lately but I will see what changed in the kernel in the past few days.

No changes to rPi 1 kernel recently on our end, must be an upstream issue. I will research further.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 10th Mar, 2015 07:17 AM

(10th Mar, 2015 03:22 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  The output of 'dmesg' and ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log is the major logs.

There has been no changes to btrfs lately but I will see what changed in the kernel in the past few days.

No changes to rPi 1 kernel recently on our end, must be an upstream issue. I will research further.

Ok here is my kodi.log file (had to rename the extension......) and dmesg paste on a txt file also

For example one of my rPi was working perfectly today all afternoon, then i took a break of watching some series and when i got back i was crashed again (this time not even kernel panic msg or nothing).

Thks.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 10th Mar, 2015 07:41 AM

I just pushed a fix for the issue in your log, will be available as a kernel update soon.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 10th Mar, 2015 09:42 AM

(10th Mar, 2015 07:41 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  I just pushed a fix for the issue in your log, will be available as a kernel update soon.

Thanks Smile

What was the issue (just for curiosity)? Did anyone else had this problem? Or did i screw up something?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 10th Mar, 2015 09:57 AM

It is the network driver misbehaving, the patch I used came from a developer who works for the manufacturer.

Now keep in mind I haven't seen this cause a full on kernel panic so I'm not %100 sure this will fix your issue, but this is definitely what has been causing major issues with network dropouts. No network equals no ssh connection.