Forum
[SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) (/thread-2827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 10th Mar, 2015 10:13 AM

(10th Mar, 2015 09:57 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  It is the network driver misbehaving, the patch I used came from a developer who works for the manufacturer.

Now keep in mind I haven't seen this cause a full on kernel panic so I'm not %100 sure this will fix your issue, but this is definitely what has been causing major issues with network dropouts. No network equals no ssh connection.

Well i notice some input lag from the xbmc remote app for android and kodi since the last update, but if this is the culprit shouldn't other users suffer the same problem? i mean rPi hardware is the same for this model or some rPi's batches use different network chipsets?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 10th Mar, 2015 10:38 AM

They are, check our github issues. I personally had seen the issue shown in your log, I'm running the patched kernel now on my Pi 2 and haven't had any problems so far.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - rikardo1979 - 10th Mar, 2015 04:09 PM

(10th Mar, 2015 10:13 AM)Exnor Wrote:  
(10th Mar, 2015 09:57 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  It is the network driver misbehaving, the patch I used came from a developer who works for the manufacturer.

Now keep in mind I haven't seen this cause a full on kernel panic so I'm not %100 sure this will fix your issue, but this is definitely what has been causing major issues with network dropouts. No network equals no ssh connection.

Well i notice some input lag from the xbmc remote app for android and kodi since the last update, but if this is the culprit shouldn't other users suffer the same problem? i mean rPi hardware is the same for this model or some rPi's batches use different network chipsets?
remote apps such XBMC Remote or Yatse use to be the most fluid,no lags compare to CEC remote.
Me personally using CEC only as it is comfy for me but will test the apps and report back here

EDIT: OK, I have tested Yatse on my RPi2 and I dont see any lag what so ever, works as always, fluid
EDIT2: latest 14.2~BETA2-1425665200 update

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 12th Mar, 2015 12:46 AM

(10th Mar, 2015 04:09 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  
(10th Mar, 2015 10:13 AM)Exnor Wrote:  

remote apps such XBMC Remote or Yatse use to be the most fluid,no lags compare to CEC remote.
Me personally using CEC only as it is comfy for me but will test the apps and report back here

EDIT: OK, I have tested Yatse on my RPi2 and I dont see any lag what so ever, works as always, fluid
EDIT2: latest 14.2~BETA2-1425665200 update

i'm going to paste my 2nd unit files here.

(10th Mar, 2015 03:22 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  The output of 'dmesg' and ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log is the major logs.

There has been no changes to btrfs lately but I will see what changed in the kernel in the past few days.

No changes to rPi 1 kernel recently on our end, must be an upstream issue. I will research further.

ok here is my 2nd rPi unit files (attached).

On this unit i get Kernel panic's almost every 24 hours... on my 1st unit it appears to be completely random.

Any idea when the patch will be released? Thnks

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - syco - 12th Mar, 2015 10:35 AM

How can I see/find out/log this kernel panic thing?

My two Pis are crashing/freezing several times a day
for some days now. Maybe I can give some more
information then.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 12th Mar, 2015 10:44 AM

@syco What are you running in the background? Torrents?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - syco - 13th Mar, 2015 01:51 AM

No, no, I am using those two Pis plain straight
as XBMC and nothing else. Even no plugins
with the exception of YouTube, Digitally
Imported, Shoutcast and Soundcloud. Oh,
sorry, and three video plugins for TV. Skin is
Quartz 5.

I went back to 3.17 kernel as you proposed,
which I thought would be better, too, but that
did not change much. So, I am back on 3.18
again.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 13th Mar, 2015 03:47 AM

(12th Mar, 2015 10:44 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  @syco What are you running in the background? Torrents?

Yep same here... no background extra processes. Only kodi and its plugins/addons.

Since this started i only maintain one of the rPi on 24/7 (in my bedroom)... the one in my living room is now off and waiting for a solution :/.

The one that is still on, continues to randomly freeze.. sometime Kernel Panic other times just freeze no msg no nothing...

i can keep uploading logs if it helps.

(13th Mar, 2015 01:51 AM)syco Wrote:  No, no, I am using those two Pis plain straight
as XBMC and nothing else. Even no plugins
with the exception of YouTube, Digitally
Imported, Shoutcast and Soundcloud. Oh,
sorry, and three video plugins for TV. Skin is
Quartz 5.

I went back to 3.17 kernel as you proposed,
which I thought would be better, too, but that
did not change much. So, I am back on 3.18
again.

Same boat as you mate... and for what i can see on the forums we are not the only ones.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Bastiat - 13th Mar, 2015 05:49 AM

(13th Mar, 2015 03:47 AM)Exnor Wrote:  The one that is still on, continues to randomly freeze.. sometime Kernel Panic other times just freeze no msg no nothing...
Same here Sad

Edit: seems enabling debug logs in xbmc makes it freeze even more quickly

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 13th Mar, 2015 09:39 AM

(13th Mar, 2015 05:49 AM)Bastiat Wrote:  
(13th Mar, 2015 03:47 AM)Exnor Wrote:  The one that is still on, continues to randomly freeze.. sometime Kernel Panic other times just freeze no msg no nothing...
Same here Sad

Edit: seems enabling debug logs in xbmc makes it freeze even more quickly

might help if you post your logs here to the devs.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - syco - 13th Mar, 2015 10:47 PM

If you tell me, how and which logs to retain,
I can do that, too.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 14th Mar, 2015 12:41 AM

(13th Mar, 2015 10:47 PM)syco Wrote:  If you tell me, how and which logs to retain,
I can do that, too.

f1vefor already said: "The output of 'dmesg' and ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log is the major logs."

So basically what i did was copy the kodi.log rename the extension to .txt and uploaded here.
To capture the dmesg i did:
Terminal

cd "any directory of your choosing"
dmesg > file.txt
and uploaded the file here.

hope this helps.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Fabio72 - 14th Mar, 2015 02:29 AM

I think I'm the first one who complained about freezes.
For ages everything is perfect. Then after something happens (AC failure, update, solar spot) my pi start freezing continuously.
It started when I was on beta 2:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1770-post-21026.html#pid21026

Then many other times. Every time the only solution was to restore an old old backup, after many other unlucky restores. So I never knew if the solution had been the restore or only the many reboots and the solar spot gone away.

I NEVER found anything in log files.

I also experienced this odd behaviour:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/678
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2703.html
I was not at home to unplug the pi so I could see what happened during the whole day.
Now I'm thinking was not the kernel.

I opened this thread, hoping to have found the solution:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2785-post-28042.html

Till now no freezes. I don't know if it's only luck or the workaround is ok

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 14th Mar, 2015 03:09 AM

(14th Mar, 2015 02:29 AM)Fabio72 Wrote:  I think I'm the first one who complained about freezes.
For ages everything is perfect. Then after something happens (AC failure, update, solar spot) my pi start freezing continuously.
It started when I was on beta 2:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1770-post-21026.html#pid21026

Then many other times. Every time the only solution was to restore an old old backup, after many other unlucky restores. So I never knew if the solution had been the restore or only the many reboots and the solar spot gone away.

I also experienced this odd behaviour:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/678
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2703.html
I was not at home to unplug the pi so I could see what happened during the whole day.
Now I'm thinking was not the kernel.

I opened this thread, hoping to have found the solution:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-2785-post-28042.html

Till now no freezes. I don't know if it's only luck or the workaround is ok

Did the scripts on pispot site solved your situation? I want to try them out but i dont want to "break" anything on Xbian.
Thanks

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Fabio72 - 14th Mar, 2015 04:28 AM

I put the values in
/sys/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/regoffset
/sys/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/regvalue
directly in /etc/boot.local since I get invalid offset right after boot

So the script never did nothing (from what I can see from it's log).
Till now no freezes, but I don't know if due to workaround

The script doesn't break anything. The value you write in sys filesystem are not persistent after reboot.