Forum
[SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) (/thread-2827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 14th Mar, 2015 07:18 AM

(14th Mar, 2015 04:28 AM)Fabio72 Wrote:  I put the values in
/sys/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/regoffset
/sys/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/regvalue
directly in /etc/boot.local since I get invalid offset right after boot

So the script never did nothing (from what I can see from it's log).
Till now no freezes, but I don't know if due to workaround

The script doesn't break anything. The value you write in sys filesystem are not persistent after reboot.

Well going to try that on the only rPi i still keep on (still waiting for a solution to be able to use my living room unit).

Ok noob question, how do i make the scripts run everytime the rPi boots?

On topic: The USB chipset stop working theory is probably accurate. I've noticed (by letting one of the Pi's running TOP on the screen) that the unit was not crashed but did not respond either to SSH requests (although it did respond to ping....) and usb keyboard also stopped working.
What can be causing this now? We apparently are not the only ones with this problem.

Re: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 14th Mar, 2015 10:27 AM

Something upstream I guess because nothing has really changed on our end, the kernel is pulled from the Raspberry Pi git and built with our patches.

I'm trying to track down what could be causing this but I simply don't have these issues and can't reproduce them on either Pi, I can cause my Pi to freeze from a fast running torrent but this is simply a limitation of the hardware. I can freeze my C1 with the same torrent and it's quite a bit faster than the Pi 2.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Fabio72 - 14th Mar, 2015 09:19 PM

(14th Mar, 2015 07:18 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Ok noob question, how do i make the scripts run everytime the rPi boots?

add
Code:
echo 08 > /sys/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/regoffset
echo 0x31 > /sys/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/regvalue
in /etc/rc.local

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 15th Mar, 2015 01:23 AM

(14th Mar, 2015 10:27 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Something upstream I guess because nothing has really changed on our end, the kernel is pulled from the Raspberry Pi git and built with our patches.

I'm trying to track down what could be causing this but I simply don't have these issues and can't reproduce them on either Pi, I can cause my Pi to freeze from a fast running torrent but this is simply a limitation of the hardware. I can freeze my C1 with the same torrent and it's quite a bit faster than the Pi 2.

Do you need any other info from my rPi's ? Just tell me what can i do to help.

Also the unit(s) stop working but i can still ping them (?) is the NIC standalone for ping replies?

(14th Mar, 2015 09:19 PM)Fabio72 Wrote:  
(14th Mar, 2015 07:18 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Ok noob question, how do i make the scripts run everytime the rPi boots?

add
Code:
in /etc/rc.local

So i do not run any of the scripts? i just add the new offset values with those 2 strings?
Edit: Just added the 2 lines to the file... lets see how it holds.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Fabio72 - 15th Mar, 2015 01:54 AM

I'm also using the script, since if something goes really bad maybe I have a chance to have my system back.
I write right values in sys at boot since values are invalid just after boot. Doing this I hope to prevent bad things before the can happen.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 16th Mar, 2015 01:54 AM

(15th Mar, 2015 01:54 AM)Fabio72 Wrote:  I'm also using the script, since if something goes really bad maybe I have a chance to have my system back.
I write right values in sys at boot since values are invalid just after boot. Doing this I hope to prevent bad things before the can happen.

I've added the 2 lines as you said but at reboot it does not apply the commands... any ideas?

On the bright side after i manually entered the commands my rPi did not "freeze" so far (near 24h and counting)... crossing my fingers that this is the initial solution for this issue.

i will keep you updated.

(14th Mar, 2015 10:27 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Something upstream I guess because nothing has really changed on our end, the kernel is pulled from the Raspberry Pi git and built with our patches.

i'm trying this for a temporary solution based on Fabio72 idea:

created a shell script with :

i schedule a script to run every 24 hours and at reboot with crontab.(How to use Crontab
Terminal

sudo crontab -e

Terminal

sudo crontab -e

GNU nano 2.2.6 File: /tmp/crontab.5gZ6E7/crontab

@reboot /usbfix.sh >> /at_reboot_usb.log 2>&1
@daily /usbfix.sh >> /usb.log 2>&1

[ Read 25 lines ]
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text ^T To Spell

So it should run at reboots and every day outputting 2 log files.

So far its working... i will keep you all posted on the progress of this fix.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Fabio72 - 16th Mar, 2015 06:09 AM

(16th Mar, 2015 01:54 AM)Exnor Wrote:  I've added the 2 lines as you said but at reboot it does not apply the commands... any ideas?

Have you entered before or after "exit 0" ?
Should be before

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 16th Mar, 2015 06:48 AM

(16th Mar, 2015 06:09 AM)Fabio72 Wrote:  
(16th Mar, 2015 01:54 AM)Exnor Wrote:  I've added the 2 lines as you said but at reboot it does not apply the commands... any ideas?

Have you entered before or after "exit 0" ?
Should be before

yep i did that... i'm no expert on coding but i assumed that entry was supposed to be on the end of the file...
Anyway it does nothing.. the alternative was like i've posted above to cron a .sh file for every reboot/boot and every 24h... so far that unit is doing good but the unit i have on my living room is still crashing even with this method.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 19th Mar, 2015 03:17 AM

So Fabio72 idea did not work..

My 2 units keep getting random freezes,some with kernel panic... here is a photo of the latest Panic screen.

Any help is much appreciated.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Fabio72 - 19th Mar, 2015 05:32 AM

till now no more problems for me, but I'm not using btrfs cause I'm all on nfs

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 19th Mar, 2015 06:09 AM

(19th Mar, 2015 05:32 AM)Fabio72 Wrote:  till now no more problems for me, but I'm not using btrfs cause I'm all on nfs

Yep but for me is not resolving the issue :/ Still i thank you for your input on the issue Smile

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Fabio72 - 22nd Mar, 2015 02:32 AM

Today xbian freezed for the first time after many weeks. I was using youtube plugin.
I restarted and within 10 minutes it freezed again, while it was idle.
The only thing I changed was removing of "elevator=noop" from cmdline.txt.
Now I'm tring again with noop elevator and uptime is 4 h

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 22nd Mar, 2015 04:03 AM

Sorry I am out of town and unable to help right now. I will be home Monday or Tuesday.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 22nd Mar, 2015 04:41 AM

(22nd Mar, 2015 04:03 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Sorry I am out of town and unable to help right now. I will be home Monday or Tuesday.

Ok mate, i will wait. Thks.

(22nd Mar, 2015 02:32 AM)Fabio72 Wrote:  Today xbian freezed for the first time after many weeks. I was using youtube plugin.
I restarted and within 10 minutes it freezed again, while it was idle.
The only thing I changed was removing of "elevator=noop" from cmdline.txt.
Now I'm tring again with noop elevator and uptime is 4 h

Your problem is probably other issue now... on my rPi's i cant get 24h without a Kernel Panic or a freeze without any output to screen (or logs as far as i know).

Is there any way to log the Kernel Panic?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 22nd Mar, 2015 06:48 AM

By trying to tail the syslog, I had someone do this but they said there was no panic showing in the recorded log.