Forum
[SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) (/thread-2827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 30th Mar, 2015 09:03 AM

Yes you can still upgrade normally after installing the kernel I linked, it's been tested and so far it has resolved everones issues that is testing.

I will give it a few days and if no issues arise I will make 3.19.y be the default XBian kernel, so the more people that test the better.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 30th Mar, 2015 05:11 PM

Ok so i did what your previous post said to do and now my RPi doesn't reboot anymore.
I had to go to work so i didn't check what the screen displayed but if i want to go back i juste have to rename /boot/kernel.good t /boot/kernel.img ?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 31st Mar, 2015 12:44 AM

(30th Mar, 2015 09:03 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Yes you can still upgrade normally after installing the kernel I linked, it's been tested and so far it has resolved everones issues that is testing.

I will give it a few days and if no issues arise I will make 3.19.y be the default XBian kernel, so the more people that test the better.

Ok so this happened twice (as reported on GitHub):

Unit runs fine for some (random) hours with the new Kernel, then freezes on Kodi (no panic msg) and on hard reboot the 2nd partition (btrfs) is corrupted... Any ideas?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 31st Mar, 2015 03:16 AM

(30th Mar, 2015 05:11 PM)Diako Wrote:  Ok so i did what your previous post said to do and now my RPi doesn't reboot anymore.
I had to go to work so i didn't check what the screen displayed but if i want to go back i juste have to rename /boot/kernel.good t /boot/kernel.img ?

I renamed kernel.good to kernel.img and my RPi rebooted finally.
So i couldn't test your kernel...

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Smultie - 31st Mar, 2015 03:18 AM

(28th Mar, 2015 03:54 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  I need someone with an RPi 2 to test this kernel, I'm hoping that the 3.18.y branch is simply buggy and 3.19.y is better.

https://db.tt/4xmGNDk2

Install by doing:
Terminal

sudo cp /boot/kernel.img /boot/kernel.good
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-bcm2836_3.19.3+_armhf.deb

I can't test it myself as I'm still out of town. Let me know whoever tests if you still have the same issues.

@Exnor I had to target the RPi 2 since more folks seem to be having issues with it. I will update both when I return.

I kinda f*cked up by installing this kernel and rebooting during the process of installing ><
Is there some way to download the necessary parts to get back to 3.18.8+?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 31st Mar, 2015 05:06 AM

I correct my previous answer, my RPi 2 stated well but Kodi doesn't work anymore...
All the other applications work fine (nzbget, sickbeard and couchpotato) but Kodi doesn't work and on the screen it's juste black.
You can see the dmesg log here : http://pastebin.com/vki15qNp

Any help to make it work like before i install the test kernel ?

EDIT : I'm trying reinstalling your test kernel hoping the problem was just a bad luck... And kodi still don't start and nothing is .kodi/temp/kodi.log... I'm going to miss the season final of The Walking Dead Sad

Re: RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Smultie - 31st Mar, 2015 06:37 AM

(31st Mar, 2015 05:06 AM)Diako Wrote:  I correct my previous answer, my RPi 2 stated well but Kodi doesn't work anymore...
All the other applications work fine (nzbget, sickbeard and couchpotato) but Kodi doesn't work and on the screen it's juste black.
You can see the dmesg log here : http://pastebin.com/vki15qNp

Any help to make it work like before i install the test kernel ?

EDIT : I'm trying reinstalling your test kernel hoping the problem was just a bad luck... And kodi still don't start and nothing is .kodi/temp/kodi.log... I'm going to miss the season final of The Walking Dead Sad

Same here. Test kernel didn't work, is reinstalled 3.18, and now Kodi doesn't start anymore.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 31st Mar, 2015 09:50 AM

Just to report that both solutions do not appear to work.... LZO setting on .18+ still gives random Panics and .19 kernel crashes randomly and corrupts the btrfs partition (3 times in a row today).

Is there any files i can share to help debug this problem?

Prior to the .18+ kernel everything was ok, now even Kodi is sluggish when its not crashed :/ (although OS itself when kodi is stopped, as far as i can tell, still responds with the same "speed" before Panicking ).

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 31st Mar, 2015 10:08 AM

Something is wrong, why only a few people are having this issue.

Those that can't start Kodi, how did you reinstall the previous kernel? What folder/s is in /lib/modules?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 31st Mar, 2015 10:13 AM

@Exnor If 3.17 was okay for you why not just use it?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Smultie - 31st Mar, 2015 02:29 PM

(31st Mar, 2015 10:08 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Something is wrong, why only a few people are having this issue.

Those that can't start Kodi, how did you reinstall the previous kernel? What folder/s is in /lib/modules?

I renamed kernel.good to kernel.img (removed the former kernel.img) and rebooted.

xbian@xbian /lib/modules $ ls
3.19.3+

Re: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 31st Mar, 2015 03:57 PM

Now do

Pi 1
Code:
apt-cache policy xbian-package-kernel

Pi 2
Code:
apt-cache policy linux-image-bcm2836

Then type the version to install the previous kernel.

I can't give the specific since I'm not around my Pi's.

Pi 1
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel=specific-name

Pi 2
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-bcm2836=specific-name

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 31st Mar, 2015 03:58 PM

(31st Mar, 2015 10:08 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Something is wrong, why only a few people are having this issue.

Same than Smultie but then i installed again your kernel and kodi still don't start...

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - f1vefour - 31st Mar, 2015 04:01 PM

It will look like this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel=3.17.7-ck2+-1421550584

This is for the Pi 1, the Pi 2 kernel is named differently (linux-image-bcm2836)

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Smultie - 31st Mar, 2015 06:22 PM

(31st Mar, 2015 03:57 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  Now do

Pi 1
Code:
apt-cache policy xbian-package-kernel

Pi 2
Code:
apt-cache policy linux-image-bcm2836

Then type the version to install the previous kernel.

I can't give the specific since I'm not around my Pi's.

Pi 1
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-kernel=specific-name

Pi 2
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-bcm2836=specific-name

Thanks, that worked. I now have a running kodi.bin again ;D