Forum
[SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units (rPi 1 model B) (/thread-2827.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 31st Mar, 2015 11:12 PM

(31st Mar, 2015 06:22 PM)Smultie Wrote:  Thanks, that worked. I now have a running kodi.bin again ;D

@Smultie
Do you have a RPi 1 or 2 ?
Which specific-name have you put plz ?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Smultie - 1st Apr, 2015 03:02 AM

(31st Mar, 2015 11:12 PM)Diako Wrote:  
(31st Mar, 2015 06:22 PM)Smultie Wrote:  Thanks, that worked. I now have a running kodi.bin again ;D

@Smultie
Do you have a RPi 1 or 2 ?
Which specific-name have you put plz ?

I'm running an RPi 2.

I used:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-bcm2836=3.18.8+-1425522430

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 1st Apr, 2015 07:59 AM

(1st Apr, 2015 03:02 AM)Smultie Wrote:  I'm running an RPi 2.

I used:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-bcm2836=3.18.8+-1425522430

It worked for me too. Thanks Smile

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - syco - 1st Apr, 2015 06:47 PM

Does anyone know the last good working
kernel version before those freezes/crashes?
I am on 3.17.something with both Pis.

I must admit, that problem is killing now
for some weeks the good daily experience
with both my Pis and I would like to get
that back.

Or are the old kernels not suitable for the
new Kodi? Is it sure, that the problem has
to do with the kernel and not the new Kodi
system?

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 2nd Apr, 2015 03:52 AM

I don't know but reinstalling the 3.18.8+-1425522430 kernel brought back my freezes problem too...

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 2nd Apr, 2015 06:46 AM

(31st Mar, 2015 10:13 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  @Exnor If 3.17 was okay for you why not just use it?

Well because 1st i don't know where to get it and 2nd i don't know how to stop it from being updated in the future...

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - CurlyMo - 2nd Apr, 2015 09:05 PM

By not updating Wink

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Diako - 2nd Apr, 2015 10:06 PM

Finding the problem and a real definitive solution would be better Wink

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - CurlyMo - 3rd Apr, 2015 03:11 AM

And constant efforts are put into this.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 3rd Apr, 2015 06:51 AM

(3rd Apr, 2015 03:11 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  And constant efforts are put into this.

Update on the situation:

2 rPi model 1B with 2.5Amp/h PSU's, 8GiB Sandisk SDcard.

Unit 1 is now 24h on running the latest image with updates (stable repos) BUT with Kodi turned off(!). Network response is a little slower than before (when it was on 3.17.x Kernel) but so far no Panics.
Kernel is 3.18.8+ with LZ4 compression. CPU clock @ 950Mhz, GPU @ 350Mhz and RAM 400 Mhz (stock i believe...), overvoltage mode 2.
Tested BTRFS scrub, big file transfers, etc.. and no crash (again Kodi is and was always off, not running).

Unit 2 is also 24h run (prior 48h+) with all (stable) updates and on Kernel 3.18.8+. LZ4 mode.
OC @ Turbo.
Kodi randomly crashes (!) but the OS does not so far.
Kodi is also sluggish on inputs (USB keyboard or via network) and now sometimes becomes sluggish on decoding all type of files at the beginning.
Did not made a stress test because this is the only (running) sdcard installation and i need it to see tv :/.
Still so far no more Panics or OS crashes...

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - ghaspias - 3rd Apr, 2015 10:35 AM

I have also been hit by (apparently) this problem. Started with sporadic hangs or hiccups, then crashes, then kernel panics... which I had attributed to minor instability or power problems. Then I could not boot anymore. This happened about two weeks ago.
The big problem with this is that I can not access my filesystem. Usually if your linux system breaks, you can fix it manually, but how do I fix a problem if I can't even mount the affected root volume?
More troubling, is that my volume (which is an external usb drive) crashes also other systems I have attempted to use for rescue (a Fedora 22 live).
Could someone familiar with btrfs give me some hints? I am a long time linux user, but this btrfs is totally strange - it looked good, but only if it works...

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 3rd Apr, 2015 07:52 PM

(3rd Apr, 2015 10:35 AM)ghaspias Wrote:  I have also been hit by (apparently) this problem. Started with sporadic hangs or hiccups, then crashes, then kernel panics... which I had attributed to minor instability or power problems. Then I could not boot anymore. This happened about two weeks ago.
The big problem with this is that I can not access my filesystem. Usually if your linux system breaks, you can fix it manually, but how do I fix a problem if I can't even mount the affected root volume?
More troubling, is that my volume (which is an external usb drive) crashes also other systems I have attempted to use for rescue (a Fedora 22 live).
Could someone familiar with btrfs give me some hints? I am a long time linux user, but this btrfs is totally strange - it looked good, but only if it works...

I think Curlymo is the person to ask about that... as far as i understand xbian uses a variant on the BTRFS compression that requires some modification on the Kernel.

BTW: use Kali Linux. I am able to mount the btrfs partition on it.

PS: it might also be the same problem i had with the experimental Kernel. When the system crashed the file system became corrupted (4 time in a row...).

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - ghaspias - 4th Apr, 2015 05:49 AM

(3rd Apr, 2015 07:52 PM)Exnor Wrote:  I think Curlymo is the person to ask about that... as far as i understand xbian uses a variant on the BTRFS compression that requires some modification on the Kernel.

BTW: use Kali Linux. I am able to mount the btrfs partition on it.

PS: it might also be the same problem i had with the experimental Kernel. When the system crashed the file system became corrupted (4 time in a row...).

Mine is a fairly old install, it is using compressor=lzo. Would that be safe to mount/modify in a ubuntu 14.04 environment?
Is it better to use a Raspbian and do it from RPi?
Thanks for any advice.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 5th Apr, 2015 07:27 AM

Ok, i'm tired of not having a stable unit... can someone please point me to the Kernel prior to the 3.18.8+ (that is on the current img) please (and some instructions on how to install it on the current img).
thks.

RE: Kernel Panic randomly on 2 units - Exnor - 8th Apr, 2015 08:00 PM

So like i´ve wrote on Git i'm running xbian-package-xbmc=14.1-1423177674 on my living room unit and so far, after 2 days, no more Kernel Panics on the 3.18.8+ kernel.

My bedroom unit on the other hand, was updated yesterday (London time ~22h) and now it stops boot on X libraries (at least is the message on screen) load (splash screen drops to CLI).

Anyone else with this problem?